Author Topic: whats your local bike shop like.  (Read 2628 times)

jags

whats your local bike shop like.
« on: July 20, 2013, 07:19:31 pm »
well i made my last trip to my LBS today to collect my rear wheel which i left in six weeks ago to get a new hub .if there was a prize for the worst bike shop in ireland this clown would come close to winning it.yeah i'm just starting to calm down  worst thing though i had to spend my 150 euro voucher on things i didn't really need.so now i'm back to square one finding someone to fit a new hub ::)
it's as well i have another set of wheels so not stuck.

in4

Re: whats your local bike shop like.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 08:34:15 pm »
Coincidentally I went to a LBS today, very rare event. I was considering going over to the dark side and getting myself a whizzy Trek road bike or something similar; I read Cambirder's thoughts in this regard! . The guy  I spoke with was OK up until the point he told me to steer clear of hub gears. Loads of trouble he said, impossible to repair. I suppose in that regard he might be partly correct, particularly if one was in a remote place. However, given that Rohloffs are virtually bomb proof ( I am led to think) I thought his comments were not that well thought through. My desire for a whizzy bike remains unfulfilled!

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 10:17:37 pm »
There is a small shop right around the corner from me. It's crammed into an old wooden cottage sort of place. The front half is new bikes for sale, the back split between the repair shop and some miscellaneous accessories etc. They're friendly and competent to a perfectly reasonable degree. The customers are a definitely mixed lot, as is the community. The folks in town are split between real tourists from all over the world, then lots of city people with weekend houses up here, and then us folks who live here. There is some real poor country living near enough, but also lots of tele-commuter types in the arts etc.

The shop sells some very nice racing bikes in the $5K zone. They also have a nice selection of whatever the current fashion is in mountain bikes. There is some very good mountain biking around the area. They don't really push past the first couple layers of fashion. Maybe something like a touring bike will appear occasionally.

My Trek 520 curiously had front pannier fittings that weren't threaded. They just used a very small bolt rather than tapping that fitting out. My guess is they don't have taps. It's a small place. I wouldn't push them to try anything too far off the beaten path!

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 11:15:23 pm »
Good topic here.
Just moved to Inverurie Scotland.
LBS was OK for a regular service on my second bike, a Dawes Sardar.
But to get a smile or anything else friendly out of them was like drawing teeth!
Whatever happened to nice customer service?
A, how are you today and a thank you, see you next time, would have been good. And not cost them much!
Very strange indeed.
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

jags

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 11:54:00 pm »
since this guy opened i must have spent 5 k on bikes and gear, i was actually one of his first customers your know that saying eaten bread soon forgotton .ah well not to worry i do all my buying on line anyway ;D
i just need to save a few shillings buy a new 9 speed ultegra hub and i have a guy that will build it for me.
btw is our Dan on tour  ???

Andybg

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 06:00:28 am »
When I was in the UK my local bike store - Firth Cycles, Queensbury, West Yorkshire - his ability was very very good. Never had an issue with either his ability to get parts, advice or work on bikes.

Unfortunately I am now a bit in the wilderness and my nearest bike shop that is an hour's drive is OK to a point but their knowledge and experience is quite limited.

Yep Jags  - I would guess Dan is finally on the road - either that or he has run out of things to say - The forum is just not the same without his input.

I am sure he will return from the front with plenty of stories to keep us all riveted

Andy

NZPeterG

• It's Great to Be Alive! Again! Go Cycle. . . . . .
    • Kiwi Pete's Cycling Safari
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 11:42:59 am »
My LBS is great with a Top Cycle Mechanic (from Canada), Top Owner, and some very good staff.
Mark the Owner has cycle toured around the South Island of New Zealand.
Ted the Canada Mechanic has cycle toured in Europe, Canada, Africa, and New Zealand
Joe the salesman is just about to go to Europe and ride Dirt Jumps  :)
Pete sales and mechanic (part time) has cycled (and cycle toured) in New Zealand, Europe, Africa, and More.
A great shop and only let down be cycle part supplies in New Zealand

Pete

PS Yes I'm Pete and I work a few days a week at my LBS
 ;D

The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common[

http://kiwipetesadventures.tumblr.com/

http://kiwipetescyclingsafari.blogspot.co.nz/

Looked after by Chris @ http://www.puresports.co.nz/
For all your Rohloff and Thorn Bicycle's in NZ

honesty

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 01:52:56 pm »
I'm a little spoilt here with 7 LBS's in the town (ok one of these is Halfords but still...) and upwards of probably the same amount again if you go to a 10 mile radius. The one I started using because its 2 minutes walk from work, The Bicycle Chain, have been brilliant. They do seem to be made up of a collection of road riders and mountain bikers, so my touring oddities sometimes bemuse I think, but they've built and re-built my bike, build and rebuilt my wheels, happily price matched Internet prices I've found, and have been great with the work cycle to work scheme. Couldn't really recommend them enough actually.

sdg_77

• Hadrian's Wall and a Half
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 09:10:05 am »
We're lucky to have three reasonable bike shops in the town, another two half an hour away and a big Halfords next to where we do our weekly food shopping.

When we have had work done it has been ok,  just the one 'bad hair day' when my son asked why his brakes squealed after the 6 weeks check-over, apart from that no real problems in over 10 years.  Two of the shops have done well from us and the bike to work scheme. 

None of them can match the on-line sites for component prices but they seem to be ok for clothes.  Even the local Halfords is nothing like the horror stories often circulating, and there are lots of Boardman bikes locally, all with a smiling rider.

Pretty much anything specific to touring comes from SJSC - no surpise for anyone in the UK and on this forum though? ;-)

sdg.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 07:34:30 pm »
Hi All!

Catching up...

At the time when I was starting to cycle "with intent" -- and for several decades thereafter -- my local shops were simply horror shows of consistent rudeness, condescension, dangerously incompetent work, and a complete unwillingness to deal with a cooperative, paying customer (me). As a result, I swore them off and made the 84mi/135km round-trip drive to shops in Corvallis, which were very much the opposite when it came to buying components and bikes. I still did my own work, but the Corvallis shops were willing and grateful to accept special orders and often stocked -- at better prices -- the very items so often missing here in Eugene. The owners of Eugene shops for many years met once a week to discuss where to set prices and what to carry to allow peaceful coexistence in their own niches and made cross-referrals and discussed "difficult" or "odd" customers like me. The one good local shop was run briefly by a very nice gentleman and competent mechanic named Tom Muir who did not fit in, wasn't part of the cabal, did not get the local shop referrals, and eventually cashed it in and left the area much poorer financially but with his dignity and ethics still intact.

I'm actually grateful for these bad experiences, as they prompted me to learn to do my own work and in the pre-Internet days, to establish some direct relationships with manufacturers and distributors outside my immediate area that have remained and even flourished over the course of the last 35 or so years. The principals of some manufacturers and distributors in the States, Europe, and Japan became personal friends and correspondents and I'm richer for all of it. I'm still viewed to a greater or lesser degree locally as a member of the lunatic fringe for my devotion to expedition touring and reluctance to embrace the latest "racing" trends and have finally reached a state of detente with most of the local shops...mostly because I've outlasted or outlived most of the meanest original owners and staff. I see them occasionally and feel a small sense of Schadenfreude/leedvermaak at seeing them unhealthy, out of condition, and unhappy while I am still happily whirring away on my non-trendy bikes and enjoying my times Away.

Though I still view the local situation through the lens of my own long history, in fairness, things seem to have generally improved over the last 10-20 years and I see a positive change in even the last couple years. Recent arrivals would be amazed at the way it '"used to be". An outsider brought Big Change when he followed his uni professor wife to the area and opened a string of shops,and hired two really good managers. One is a casual friend and now near-neighbor and we've had a very good buyer/seller relationship for over 20 years; he's  good guy. When I do need to get something locally, I always go to him if possible. The former nastiest shop in town is not doing so well financially at present, and this has caused a change in attitude; apparently they actually need customers now and are willing to hire staff that will treat customers as human beings if that's what it takes. A high-end commuter shop has opened as well, stocked with Brooks, some Schwalbe (tires, not tubes, which they informed me "Schwobble" has never and will never produce), Ortlieb (some bags but no parts or mounts), Tubus, Surly (LHTs and workbikes), and various kinds of wool clothing at prices not quite as good as those online including postage.

There's now more local bike shops in my area than ever before (11+ at last count, plus several manufacturers/framebuilders and a major high-end wheelbuilder) and the laws of economics indicate they can't all make it. It will be interesting to see which ones persist when the pie is sliced in ever smaller pieces.

For many years, my LBS was mail-orders placed with firms found in various trade magazine ads, careful readings of the Thomas Register (business registry), and archived phone books in the public and university libraries. Now, it is about 99% online, with a good portion of that trade going to St John's Street Cycles in Bridgwater. Removing the VAT (effectively about 16%) offsets the shipping costs, and the difference in exchange rates is offset by their generally good prices. I place an order and receive it here in the upper-left corner of 'Merka in about 10 days with no quibble or fuss, so I guess you could say SJSC is my LBS of choice these days. When there has been a problem, they hasten to make it right -- and do.

Best,

Dan. (...who wishes he'd had a good LBS in his "formative years" of cycling but came out alright anyway, thanks to sheer determination and cussed persistence)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 11:25:30 pm by Danneaux »