Author Topic: Henry is off the lead!  (Read 8777 times)

John Saxby

Re: Henry is off the lead!
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2023, 04:02:54 pm »
Grand tour and photos, Ian -- love the skies!!  Looks like 'enery's 'avin' a grand time too.

in4

« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2023, 09:26:56 pm »
My next stop was here:
Horgabost Campsite
01859 550386
https://maps.app.goo.gl/NwvvJj64pAbfoDH77?g_st=ic
Probably one of the most lovely sites I’ve stayed on. Technically, well actually it was closed, until 1st May but a quick phone call etc.
Wonderful beaches and views.
A quite short ride led me to a lovely if windswept site adjacent to this RSPB reserve
RSPB Balranald
01876 560287
https://maps.app.goo.gl/TyAVQjgB76KpUHgx8?g_st=ic

I was up quite early and rode like the clappers to make the early ferry to Berneray. Unknown to me the tides had different plans and decided it would not allow the early ferry to run. So, 14.30 it was.
Berneray is tiny but so beautiful. I found a fabulous wild camp site too.

East Beach
https://maps.app.goo.gl/1oyEam2dukSa5n3P7?g_st=ic

Just me and a campervan. The occupants were in an advanced state of refreshment so I left them to it.
Then there was the Architect from Paris…;)

in4

« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2023, 07:57:47 pm »
With a few final miles through North and South Uist (thank you north easterly winds)
I took the ferry to Barra. Stayed at a lovely but dreadfully windy site at Borva, near Castlebay for two nights. I’d have left a day earlier but I wanted to complete The Hebridean Way which entailed a further ride over to Vatersay Island. Cutting winds made the riding interesting. I’d left my panniers at the campsite so Henry felt relatively twitchy. A lot of gusting necessitated a firm grip on the handlebars and plenty of concentration. All went well though and my sense of achievement was tinged with a ‘what next’ sensation.The ‘what next’ bit amounts to a partial reverse of my route but if the weather perks up I’ll take in the English Lake District.

Thus ends the tour tale. I hope it’s been an entertaining and useful read. I’ll gladly share any other details if anyone is interested.

1. Be nice to your knees and gear low
2. Eat like you mean it
3. Drink a lot of water
4. Do you really need all that in your panniers?
5. Put insulating foam tubing on your top bar ( keeps your bike nice when you tie it down on the ferries)
6. Carry a ratchet strap or bungee cords as for 5.
7. Smell the air, enjoy the far horizons and be thankful for the opportunity to experience both.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2023, 08:00:28 pm by in4 »

PH

« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2023, 10:09:42 pm »
Congrats on completing the Hebridean Way, it has been fantastically entertaining following your progress, guessing where you'd head next (And usually being wrong) Thanks for thread, it brought back some memories and a desire to return.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2023, 10:33:56 pm »
Congrats on completing the Hebridean Way, it has been fantastically entertaining following your progress, guessing where you'd head next (And usually being wrong) Thanks for thread, it brought back some memories and a desire to return.

+1 from me as well.
You've convinced me to return.

Best Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Andre Jute

« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2023, 10:46:28 pm »

+1.

What an achievement, what a tale, what photographs! Thanks for the ride, Ian.