Author Topic: John o groats route help  (Read 8099 times)

ourclarioncall

John o groats route help
« on: February 18, 2023, 10:38:30 pm »
Think of doing a solo ride from near Aberdeen up to John o groats

I’m fat , unfit , never done a long distance ride like this

I hate cars /lorry’s flying past me constantly and getting close to me so not keen on main roads

Thinking about a route . Safety first.

Would possibly ride through the night to avoid traffic and use some or a lot of main roads.

Also thought about getting a train to Inverness and riding from there up

I think I’m probably biting off more than I can chew but that’s my style

I also need to think about building up my fitness and increasing time on bike

Any input appreciated

Matt2matt2002

Re: John o groats route help
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2023, 11:47:38 pm »
Keep me in the loop. It's a ride I've thought about.

Camping or hotel/ hostel?

I cycled down from Scrabster to ullapool a few years ago. Via Lairg.

Best

Matt

Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

PH

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2023, 07:05:18 am »
You could follow NCN 1 all the way, that's all on quiet roads.
I've only done the section North of Inverness, it's a lovely ride, but fairly hilly in places, not something I'd choose if I was looking to match low fitness.
Having said that - My first cycle tour was the NCN C2C and I had zero fitness, the distance equalled the cycling I'd done in the year before, I didn't do much pedaling, walked up every hill and freewheeled down the other side, still had a great time!

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2023, 08:40:07 am »
My supported LEJOG broadly followed NCN 1 north of Inverness but made two variations. We went through Muir of Ord and Dingwall but instead of going through Alness took the B9176 northwards to Bonar Bridge. This reduces the distance but goes over a hill (and has some excellent views, weather permitting). My route used the A873 / A871(very quiet roads) north of Altnaharra.

I found the Scottish hills to be less challenging than the English hills because, while they can be long, they are rarely very steep. The only nasty hill between Lairg and Bettyhill is the final climb to Bettyhill. An unfavourable wind is a bigger hazard as it's an open road. Bettyhill to JoG includes a lot of shorter hills, not helped on my ride by a modest headwind.

Planning this trip requires figuring out how many miles per day you can pedal (which will depend on what you plan to carry) and then identifying possible stopping places. If using hotels then you'll need to book well in advance.

mickeg

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2023, 01:55:07 pm »
If your fitness is in doubt, get a heart rate monitor. 

I am not going to tell you what number you should use for maximum beats per minute, perhaps ask your physician?

When you start climbing a hill, frequently look at your monitor, and when the number gets up to where you do not like to see it, stop.  I then get off the bike and keep pushing up the hill walking, but at a slower pace so my heart rate drops.  Before I even left home, I knew that I would have to go up the hill in the first photo.  And months before I got to this hill, at a 13 percent grade I knew that I would walk up that hill.

I do not have heart problems, but I am 69 and do not want to develop any heart problems so I am keeping my heart rate in a reasonable range when I am exerting myself.

I am trying to get in shape right now for a bike tour in April and also a 200k brevet at start of April.  I am going to the gym three times a weeks.  Besides some strength exercises, I also spend an hour on either the stair-master or on an exercise bike.  I do not know about conditions where you are, but where I am, we had snow storm about three days ago, and another scheduled for this coming Thur, so I am doing what I can off of the bike to get ready.

I have never heard of anyone riding through the night to avoid traffic on a bike tour.  I want to be as visible as possible to the car and truck drivers.  That means high visibility clothing and a flasher on the bike.  It is much harder to be that visible at night, a flashing light is attention getting but a driver can't get any depth perception on that and can't tell where you are.  Lots of reflective clothing would be needed, and a driver that is half asleep in the middle of the night is not someone I would want coming towards me.  Second photo, this was the worst visibility I have ever seen for a bike tour, I pulled over planning to wait for the fog to lift somewhat, but while there I saw that the few cars going past were going so slow that I decided to trust that my two rear flashers would alert drivers to my presence.  So, I started riding again and the cars that came up behind me apparently did see my flashers as they slowed down.

On my last tour, I was in Canada (I live in USA), and was where you ride on the right side of the road.  I started the trip with reflective stuff centered on my bike but later moved it to the left side of the bike, I think the car drivers started to give me more room that way when the reflective stuff was closer to them.  See third photo, this was a rainy day so visibility was poor all day long.  Not only does the rain impair visibility, but the car driver with a busted defroster and worn out wipers on the way home from a hard day at work is the one you have to worry about.

More recently, I have also bought a reflective belt with shoulder straps that I can wear over my rain jacket for more visibility, but have not used it yet.  If you really want to ride at night, you should get some good reflective stuff.  I assume for Audaxing you need reflective material for night riding, check those criteria and consider that a minimum.

When I go on a bike tour, I am there to see the sights, I do not ride in the dark as there are no sights to see.

John Saxby

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2023, 03:27:34 pm »
And it's worth remembering that George (mickeg) is showing photos from Nova Scotia (IIRC).  "Nova Scotia" is, um, New Scotland, and there's a reason for that, beyond the hilly terrain and Gaelic names & music -- 'tis the weather, aye.

Invest in conspicuity -- being seen saves lives.

And, enjoy your journey!

navrig

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2023, 04:30:18 pm »
I've lived in Aberdeen (3 years), Moray (3 years) and Inverness (12 years).  I've cycled, to varying degrees, throughout these areas although generally not touring cycling.  I am mostly a road rider venturing into touring.

Unless you have your heart set on John O'Groats I would suggest there alternative routes which will be more rewarding in terms of roads, views, towns etc.

Aberdeen to JOG is just short of 300 miles using a scenic, quieter road route.  This takes you to Tongue and along the north coast.  This limits your A9 exposure which is strongly recommended.

For about 300 miles you could do
Aberdeen - Strathcarron - Ullapool - Garve.  From Garve you can get a train back to Inverness and then Aberdeen.

Both routes take you through Inverness for which you have a few options and, again, avoiding the A96 is a primary objective.

I'd consider going Aberdeen - Dufftown (over the Cabrach) - Elgin and then follow the country roads to Inverness.

In terms of getting started you really ought to get a bike which fits you and is suitable for carrying luggage.  Then go out and try a 30 mile route (unloaded) to see how you feel.  A bike computer will help with routing and, if you go down the HRM route, gathering some data about how your heart responds to the effort.

Good luck and remember to pace yourself.  Getting ready from a standing start is about building hours in the saddle and toughening up your backside.

mickeg

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2023, 04:31:35 pm »
And it's worth remembering that George (mickeg) is showing photos from Nova Scotia (IIRC).  "Nova Scotia" is, um, New Scotland, ...

Thank you for the education, I did not know what Nova Scotia stood for. 

Yes, all three photos were from that trip.

navrig

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2023, 04:35:15 pm »
I would not recommend riding at night.  Whilst the traffic may be much less there will still be fishermen, fish lorries, Tesco lorries/vans running around the Highlands in the dark.  Not to mention the tourists who have hired a motorhome and have no idea how to drive it safely.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2023, 05:33:45 pm »
I would not recommend riding at night.  Whilst the traffic may be much less there will still be fishermen, fish lorries, Tesco lorries/vans running around the Highlands in the dark.  Not to mention the tourists who have hired a motorhome and have no idea how to drive it safely.

Night riding:
I'll second and third that. I had missed it in your original post. Count me out for night time riding. Not sure what your reasoning is for non daylight riding?
But keep me up-dated on your plans.
How is your Thorn bike coming along? I think you had a few minor adjustments to do?

Camping or hostel/hotel. That can make quite a bit of difference re weight.

I camped when I did my Scottish end 2 end trip down from Muckle Flugga on Shetland to Mull of Galloway.
90 miles was my max distance for a day. Plenty of shorter days to smell the thistles. And I stopped off in Fort Bill to pop up Ben Nevis.

How long are you planning to be away? Bike up and train back?

Best

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

in4

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2023, 06:06:47 pm »
I did a night ride up over Swaledale as part of my C2C ride. Apart from it being a bit tough with a loaded tourer I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Whilst I was not bothered by traffic I needed very good lights and a high  degree of concentration given the road conditions, sheep and unknown unknowns. The only strange bit was coming across 20 plus people sitting around an open fire engaging in some sort of quasi-religious ceremony. It was Swaledale though lol

For reasons already stated I’d not do a night ride on main roads either. Too risky for me.

ourclarioncall

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2023, 07:04:30 pm »
Thanks for feedback gentleman

Really appreciate it

I like night riding as I’ve done couple of longish rides through the night in the summertime and I loved it.

I like back roads but sometimes I feel they are potentially risky as they are narrower and sometimes have poor visibility on corners and I’m just waiting for that 18 year old kid and all his friends to fly round the corner in his dads sports cars at 80 mph and I’m hedges in with nowhere to dive for cover . Saying that , it sounds like not all back /side roads are equal and from what I’m hearing it makes daytime riding up the top middle of Scotland more worthy of consideration

I don’t like main roads but yet I do . Feel a bit safer and more roomy in some ways yet it begins to develop road rage in you when people repetitively come to close and you start losing your joy coz you get a bit edgy anticipating the next close call. Like Chinese water torture . You’ve also got the pressure of being assertive by taking the room you need to avoid drains /debris/potholes etc at at the side of the road without antagonising drivers who have issues with cyclists . Know wot I meen?

I remember a guy saying “don’t swim with sharks “

It’s true and it kind of put me off cycling on the road altogether

So generally riding at night on main roads is appealing as less traffic , better roads (well that’s debatable) and I feel better geographically speaking as I have more confidence knowing I’m on the right track and connecting from town to town along the coast

IF … hypothetically I rode through the night I would do al that I could do to be as visible as possible. Well, even if it’s daylight I would too . But I appreciate there’s still risks .

I’m also considering night riding along the remote roads too

I’m kinda under a bit of pressure to get up to groats and back so I don’t leave my wife with 5 kids for two long in her own

She will be driving up as our family have a special boat trip planned to the little island called stroma next to groats where they lived on it many decades ago.

So far I’ve plotted a route from Boddam to Elgin.  Stop at an Indian buffet in new pitsligo. There is a travelodge hotel I can stay in that I can check in anytime and I don’t have to check out till 12pm. So I could leave about 4pm-6pm and use a portion of an old railway line to get going.

I would get 6 to 12 hours sleep in the hotel at Elgin and then I could ride through the day , but I’m quite intimidated by riding up and though Inverness to wherever I’m going next which I don’t know yet , whether that be day or night . If day then I need safer back roads , if night then I’d maybe go with main or a mixture .

Some hotels won’t let you check in late at night if I need to and there not much hotel chains like travelodge once you start getting up last Inverness . There is plenty places to stay if I ride in the day and check in early evening , but I doubt at 2am.

I’m thinking that once I’m loaded up on my bike that I’m going to average like 5 mph haha. I can do 10mph on a good day unloaded . If I’m doing 70 miles a day then that’s normally 7 hours riding . But I will need breaks . Plus if I’m slow then il double the time to 14 hours for 70 miles . I might need that , I might not , depending how tired I am and how many breaks I take . I guess that there will be plenty times il be flying down hills at high speed too. It’s quite hard to gauge time needed.

I’m probably biting off more than I can chew … but maybe not. Again I’ve got that time pressure thing . But you don’t really want to ride under pressure . Hence my other option was a train up to near Inverness and then ride from there up to groats .

mickeg

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2023, 08:29:04 pm »
So generally riding at night on main roads is appealing as less traffic , better roads (well that’s debatable) and ...

If you really meant to say that the roads are better at night, it is because you can't see how bad they are at that time of day.

Outside of UK, I have traveled a lot on back roads with minimal traffic.  When I did my Iceland tour, I found that there was very little traffic before 9:30am on a lot of the backroads, I usually tried to start riding at 7 or 7:30 am to avoid much of the traffic.  But I have been other places were back roads were quite busy before 7am with people driving to work.

ourclarioncall

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2023, 10:06:55 pm »
So generally riding at night on main roads is appealing as less traffic , better roads (well that’s debatable) and ...

If you really meant to say that the roads are better at night, it is because you can't see how bad they are at that time of day.

Outside of UK, I have traveled a lot on back roads with minimal traffic.  When I did my Iceland tour, I found that there was very little traffic before 9:30am on a lot of the backroads, I usually tried to start riding at 7 or 7:30 am to avoid much of the traffic.  But I have been other places were back roads were quite busy before 7am with people driving to work.

Haha yeah. It’s like playing Mario Kart over here in the last month or two. My wife hates driving at night dodging pot holes . Worse when it’s rained as it’s harder to see them

I guess you’ve got to know the roads well and the area to make a judgement call on which time of day to ride safely . I’m pretty confident in my own local area , but that’s it

JohnR

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2023, 08:23:28 am »
I woud be very reluctant to cycle on unfamiliar roads at night. Even very good lights may struggle to highlight a pothole or a very sharp bend. I enjoy visiting Scotland (usually by car) because even the main roads (with a few exceptions) have limited traffic compared to further south. Which month are you planning to make the trip? Will it be outside the main tourist season?