Author Topic: Touring: W'yDoWeDoWotWeDo?  (Read 2439 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Touring: W'yDoWeDoWotWeDo?
« on: March 03, 2012, 09:36:44 pm »
For those who tour...why? (inner motivations)...

I'm enthused about cycling and passionate about touring. My tagline, "reisen statt rasen" translates to "travel rather than race" or "traveling without hurry" (the signs appear alongside some German secondary roads, aimed at motorists), and that pretty well sums it up for me. I suspect this is the case for many of us who tour, and it has me wondering about the reasons and motivations behind our pursuit. Of course, there are the obvious reasons, like relaxation, travel, seeing the world, meeting new people and experiencing other cultures or perhaps the simple sense of accomplishment behind doing those things as the result of our own motive power.

But is there more? Are we fulfilling a primal urge when we cast off our dependence on the trappings of Home and Civilization and go off on our bikes, living rough and sleeping under our tarps, in our tents, swinging in hammocks, snuggled in our bivy bags or open to the stars? Is it the appeal of tree forts to eight year-olds, or is it the Byrd expeditions all over again, Shackleton against the elements in our minds? Do we go for the relaxation, or the discipline that comes with self-propelled movement? Are we casting off, filling up, or both together? Finding and losing ourselves at once? Bicycle trips are an inner journey for me as well as an outer one, and cliche as it sounds, the journey counts as much as the destination.

For me, Adventure bicycle touring has always been as much a journey into self as it is into the outdoors, and each trip becomes a pilgrimage of spiritual growth and realization -- my personal dream quest, fulfilled. I've never felt closer to something Greater or more loved and at peace than when I am alone, 160km from anywhere or anyone except God, Who I hear best in those places and circumstances. I think extreme exertion and basic living in rough conditions removes the noise and static from our lives, allowing us to better listen and see more deeply into ourselves, build spiritual connections, and grow in ways we hadn't imagined. For me, every pedal stroke is a celebration of a thousand unconscious decisions properly made, as I live the delicious oxymoron of filling up while letting go, and my tours become a zenlike journey into my own personal dream-state. There's great satisfaction in knowing I have all I need with me, and need nothing more. Returning home is a bewilderment, where I am greeted by an embarrassment of riches that causes me to wonder "Who could possibly need this much stuff?!?" -- indoor plumbing, hot and cold running water, electricity at the flip of a switch, and...television. It seems a little pallid and remote to watch the adventures of others on the Little Screen after living one the day before.

And, too, there is the vibratory anticipation of pre-departure, waking with excitement the night before, and leaving just short of half-scared to death, knowing it is the key to avoiding foolishness on the road. The Romance of Adventure awaits, and all the road is spread before me, like a reel of unshot film stock to for a movie in which I'll be playing the starring as I live it. There's the magic of feeling stationary with the bike as your pedaling unreels the film-to-be beneath your tires, powering your own personal Adventure and eagerly awaiting What Comes Next.

The feelings of privilege and gratitude for getting to do such things makes any inconvenience into an adventure and the little rewards fill me up. So it rains? Bosh! It's Belgian rain, not the drizzle of home. It's cold? Offset by the delicious warmth of a good sleeping bag. Blistering hot? Makes cool of night with its velvet skies and diamond stars all the better. Who else gets to do this?!? Yes, gratitude and a positive attitude make it worthwhile and are part of the package. There's a reward structure that pays off with every pedal stroke, and a tremendous sense of freedom and autonomy that ordinary life fails to offer. That must be why my throat tightens and my eyes grow damp at the end of each tour. It's not joy at returning home, but sorrow at the end of the Simple Life, so opposite the mundane humdrum of my civilized, complicated, Everyday.

So, what drives you to pack it up, oil the chain, and get Out There? What makes touring special to you? W'yDoWeDoWotWeDo?

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 05:06:25 am by Danneaux »

Pavel

Re: Touring: W'yDoWeDoWotWeDo?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 05:12:31 pm »
I was 14, perhaps 15, sitting in the back of the big Oldsmobile Delta 98 at some random stoplight on a random day.  The light was red and we were stopped.  I don't know what was on my mind, which likely means that it was nothing of importance, nothing out of the ordinary.  At that same second that the light turned green, as my father started the beast car forward - a motorcyclist blew by.  No, be rather instead breezed by.  He didn't get stuck by the light and as he passed at full, but slow speed it wasn't the fact of it, but rather the feel of it that stuck in my mind.  He had an attitude, a body language that was, to me, unmistakeable. He was free.  He was reveling in it.

I wanted that.

My freedom had no motor.  Even better, as there were fewer rules.  I lived on my bicycle.  From age 12 when I got my first ten speed "racer" I was on it, exploring around.  My culture and my family had a different outlook than the prevalent canadian outlook and for better or worse my parents had faith in me and would never have thought of watching over us like hawks, as parents today do.  No.  It would suggest that I was a nit-wit. At worst if I got into a scrape of some sort I would likely get in trouble at home if I didn't show independence and good judgement.  For better or worse as I've said - but the upshot of that was that I had freedom. On many a Saturday or Sunday I would, from age 12, go adventure, further and further in my neighborhood and slowly broaden the circle out further and further.  As long as I was home by dark I had the freedom to go all day and often would. I've often wondered if those early days of broadening my horizons developed in me an wanderlust or if it was the other way around that the wanderlust and yearning for solitary exploration, for seeing the unfamiliar and being comfortable with the foreign instead brought out what was in my soul?  I wonder?  But it doesn't matter does it, all that counts is that it is there -and I can't get away from it, even when I would like to.

My father was an Engineer who had a portfolio of patents and worked on designing various processes for industry. In the course of that he traveled a moderate amount and when I was sixteen, we were uprooted to move to South Africa for two years.  When you are sixteen your aren't really equipped for life on your own, but I pondered it.  I did't want to go.  I was scared to death.  Heck, I read the papers!  I think they (my parents that is) tied me up hand and foot and dragged me with them.  Ya just can't seem to get respect, when you are sixteen, even though you know everything you are talking about! :)  So they dragged me to South Africa despite my outrage.
 That is another one of those unanswerable questions.  Do you automatically have the sweetest time of your life because you are sixteen, or is it the other way around, that you have to have an epic time and sixteen and all of what sixteen means is simply a coincidence?  I dunno.
It simply was the time of my life.  I learned things that are essential to freedom.  Freedom of course is mostly a state of mind, and if it is then my experiences in South Africa made so much possible.  I now know not to pre-judge too much.  That kills a trip, don't you all agree, when there are preconceptions are so strong where we have expectations and prejudices and go somewhere to find out that they are true.  And don't get me started about on that tall subject, on reading newspapers or listening to conventional outlooks.  Heck, today it would then be best to put our children in a nice padded cell, early on and ourselves as well. 

South Africa blew my mind and was the time of my life as I look backwards with tinted glasses.  Freedom again is what it was and just as  earlier, a bicycle happened to be essential to it.  I did't call it touring.  I was not aware of such a thing.  It was a bit more innocent and unaware.  I simply got onto my bicycle, frequently and went somewhere.  Sometimes it would be for a fast ride for several hours and other times it would be for days.  My father, who if he were still alive, I would like to thank, was still the same.  He believed I could take care of myself, indeed he demanded it and as long as I explained when I expected to be back allowed me my indulgence. He pointedly would not help me though, except in case of an emergency.  I had to babysit for my money and there was not much of it. Funny though, that now when I/we have so much in the way of gear, that back then when I had none to speak of it made no difference.  I had a rack and a bag.  One blanket, one tarp, one change of clothes and some rope was all that it would fit.  I slept on the beach and sometimes would not eat except for peanutbutter and bread.  How is it that I loved it so much then?  How is it that now I'm outfitting myself out with everything possible and preferably the best there is?  It crosses my mind that I may be insulating myself that way from what it is that made me love bicycle tripping and freedom.

I wont bore you with but an outline of the time between then and now.  I of course didn't appreciate the concepts, even as I enjoyed the time.  It was almost foreshadowing.  Our time in South africa was up and Australia was next ... for three years.  But we didn't go.  Did I slip into different ways?  Accidental comfort?  When my father announced that we would be going to Australia my sister and I talked my mother into talking him out of it.  I missed my Canadian friends and familar routines.  It think it happens that there is a cyclical aspect to travel.  You are enchanted first, then you hate everything and finally it becomes normal life, what was an exotic storybook adventure.  I was in that second phase. We went back. No Australia.

I've never been to Australia. Perverse is it not that when I think of all the places I'd like to cycle through, somehow Argentina and Australia seem most romantic while still being doable.  Dang, I hate paying for mistakes! :D  It seems that the cosmos has a sick sense of humour.  :)

We landed in Canada, our frozen home in in early March.  Right in the middle of a blizzard.  I had forgotten that I used to hate snow and frozen toes. I remembered in a hurry. I can't describe how I felt that first day of school among all of my old friends.  I almost started to cry when I realised how my old friends didns't seem like friends anymore.  I was dark and suntanned and they thought that was funny in a way that made me feel clearly that they didn't value my same sense of the different.  They were cold, not warm like the teenagers in SA. The rudeness and cynical attitude shocked me and I think they thought I had turned into some kind of choirboy who said thank you and please.  Your travels change you and how you see the world, don't they. So I changed schools but it was all the same. I felt outside the same way I had in an alien culture but you expect that when you go to new places, not when you come back to ? home.

I gave up cycling because my girlfriend, who was later my wife didn't get into it.  But, she did love driving motorcycles so that became the focus for about 15 years. It was just like the bicycle had been and just as it should have been as I imagined it that day when a motorcyclist breezed by at that stoplight at that intersection when I was fourteen or fifteen.  I was lucky perhaps.  My daughter arrived when I was forty years old.  I became responsible on cue.  Its a long story but typical and predictable so we can skip it.  She is now eleven.  Marvelously spirited and has a joy in learning new things which are a lesson to me, the old guy.

So .... W'yDoWeDoWotWeDo? Speaking for myself, some of it is in the above sketch, the pale outline above.  Perhaps a pathetic reach backwards.  Didn't I say that we should not have expectations, that they ruin any fair chance.  I think they do ... but I don't any longer know how to do that.  I'll let you know how it is when my bicycle life part two starts sometime in a week or two with the arrival of my aptly named "Nomad".  There is hope in that name!
But really, it doesn't matter anyways.  It's not about me very much, now.  Bicycling is such a simple thing.  You pedal and you go somewhere and see some - thing. In the process you get a taste for freedom, adventure and a sense of the world being large. That is what I want. I want that for my daughter.  That timeless urge - To pass something forward.  ThatIsWhyIHopeToDoWhatSeemsLikeAnOddThingToPlan!  Wish us luck.

And while I'm pondering the imponderables - whats a good frame size for a 156cm tall girl, with long legs who is growing? A tough frame that carries a load securely - and with a Rohloff hub, of course, and thank you?  One that can take her everywhere?

:) :D ;D 8)

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 12:54:06 am »
Hey Pavel! You're on the US East Coast, right? One of my joys is being able to introduce my girlfriend's son to the freedom of bicycling. So far we have just been on rides of an hour or two, just enough to get the idea that you can really go places on a bike. But now we have signed up for the "Cycling the Erie Canal Bike Tour," in July. Four hundred miles in eight days, five hundred riders, quite well organized I hear. There's a fellow on the facebook group talking about riders aged 10-12!

I remember a big ride from maybe 1972, a century ride in Michigan, "To Hell and Back." That's the only big organized ride I have ever participated in before. There must have been at least a hundred riders there. I didn't manage to complete the distance, though I think I got to mile 85. I have never been a very strong rider. If I put in some consistent rider, how strong can I get? That's part of my interest in riding these days: I'm just curious to see what I can do. But it's only a small part.

I love how biking enables one to get to know an area quite thoroughly. My latest biking enthusiasm was triggered by my work with the US Census Bureau. That got me out on all sorts of back roads that I hadn't known about. I was a Quality Control Crew Leader, so my territory covered parts of three counties. It will take me a long time to get strong enough to span that distance on a bike! It won't be the territory that limits me!

On the contrary, it's the territory that calls me. And not just the hills, not even the wildlife. The human geography here is fascinating. The Erie Canal is not so close by, but there was the Delaware and Hudson Canal. There are remnants all along the route, waiting to be explored. All kinds of farm stands, antique stores, even just odd ice cream stands with fascinating people of all kinds.

Maybe what I really love about bicycles is that they enhance one's connection with one's environment. I recently read Ray Jardine's Trail Life. That book was about backpacking in the wilderness, not bicycling. But the major theme was how to use equipment to create a more intimate relationship with one's environment. What fascinates me about bicycles is how the environment involved is not so much wilderness as the human geography of roads and towns.

Right at the core of my life philosophy is that idea that richly meaningful experience comes through deep and intimate connection with one's environment. Science and technology can be used either to isolate oneself from the environment and to keep experience under control, or to create and enhance a rich and spontaneous interplay. Bicycling is a splendid example of such enhancement. That kind of philosophy is not something to be left abstract but can only be coherent when lived.

So I don't really have any precise notion of where I'm headed. I like to ride to farm stands to bring home sweet corn for dinner. I'd like to visit friends in the next county, the next state, or over on the other coast. I'd like to explore whole other parts of the world that I've never seen, meet the people and learn how they live.

Where is our whole world headed? As we chew through natural resources and spew the waste products back, will our escalating technological efforts to evade the natural consequences of such imbalances eventually find themselves confronted by some spontaneous play that rudely refuses to submit to such control? Gasoline creeping back to four dollars per gallon seems rude enough already! Accepting such free play through bicycling, rather than fighting it and ramping up the level of frustration, goes beyond my own riding. Somehow bicycling just might have an important role for society at large. I don't have ideas of telling people what to do, but to suggest, to inspire, to lead…. maybe that is the only way to live responsibly, meaningfully, richly.

julk

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 10:16:20 am »
Jim,
$4 a gallon - wow, here in the UK petrol has reached $10 a gallon, is rising and still people cling to their cars.

All,
I started cycling at 12 years old (1959) and went on a 50 mile or so ride every Saturday with my best friend. We cycled, youth hostelling, to the Lake District and back that year which had the best summer ever - you could go unaccompanied at the tender age of 12 back then so we did - leaving our poor parents in fear and trepidation as to our return! At that age I learnt to take a bike to bits and rebuild it, very useful life skills. I enjoy fettling bikes and my only complaint against my Thorn Rohloff tourer is it needs so little maintenance.

I have cycled ever since and enjoy the ride, the countryside with its rich variety of vistas, flora and fauna and reaching the destination.
As marriage, family and work commitments took their toll my cycling reduced to a daily round trip commute of 18 miles into Edinburgh and back - a character building ride in the rush hour british traffic which treats cyclists as invisible lowest class citizens with no rights and certainly very little law enforcement for infringments against them.
A momentary 'lack of concentration' which kills a cyclist can often result in a derisory fine for the errant motorist.

I used to take an annual family holiday camping, caravanning and finally renting a farmhouse in the Lake District. As my children became old enough they were encouraged to cycle camp as a group from home to the holiday taking several days to cover about 170 miles. This has taught them self reliance and a love (or not) of cycle camping. Three out of five still cycle camp as adults.
On retiring early at 57 I have had the pleasure of joining the youngest ones on that trip and evolving the route to make it even more pleasant riding.
I now cycle most days locally, maybe just doing the shopping or taking in the local back roads. I go to a CTC organised cycle event each year which involves cycle camping to and from a destination about a 100 miles away, then several days of led cycle rides with a suitable group from the base camp. I enjoy the group rides as a complete change from most of my rides which are on my own. I have a new tent, a Helsport Ringstind Light 2, to try out this year. My usual tents are Hillebergs (3-4kgs), Scandinavian tents are great for british weather, I just wanted to try a lighter tent out this year.

The weather here in the UK is often cool, wet and windy so I have acquired clothing which works well for those conditions. Paramo on the upper body and Groundeffect shorts or trousers. I like Shimano sandals with bare feet for Spring to Autumn. The last lot of sun block which I bought in 2006 lies unused back at the house, maybe it will see sunlight this year…

I started a cycle club last year at my church and we now have 40 members. We went on the first ride of the year yesterday and 14 turned out. We had to wait for 20 minutes at the start of the ride whilst a rain then snow then hail shower went through, but we ended up riding mostly in sunshine although the temperature was quite low. The rides are short and on an old railway track which encourages families to ride. the youngest rider yesterday was 6 years old, but she was not last for long - her brakes were jamming on until I fettled the bike and then off she went!
I ride as rearguard which means I get the problems to fix, be they bike or human. I carry tools and simple first aid and have had to use them.
If you want to see some of us then point your browser to http://www.stdavidsdalkeith.co.uk/ navigate to the Parish Magazines and look at the centre spread in the Autumn 2011 magazine. I do the website and produce the magazines as well as getting my cycling in.

What more can I say, my love of cycling has been lifelong and continues.
Julian.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 10:52:25 am »
Splendid! Very well-phrased, fellows! I very much enjoy reading about your introductions to cycling and motivations for and ways of participating.

It sure is nice to find this pursuit/hobby/activity/sport/lifestyle means as much to others (and in different yet similar ways to my own views).

Cycling and touring is a real passion for us, isn't it?

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 10:55:50 am by Danneaux »