Technical > Wheels, Tyres and Brakes

Spoke tension

(1/2) > >>

ourclarioncall:
I find it hard to understand how on day a 32 spoke wheel

Breaking one spoke can throw the wheel out of alignment

I understand the concept I think as with guitars you have the tension from 6 strings . One string snaps and it throws the rest off. So the whole system is a balance and they share the tension

But I doubt on a 32 string guitar snapping 1 string would make any noticeable difference as there are much more strings to share the load

I appreciate that guitars are different to wheels but just letting you in on my thought process 👍

Danneaux:

--- Quote ---I find it hard to understand how...Breaking one spoke can throw the wheel out of alignment
--- End quote ---

This may help your understanding...  :)
https://www.rivbike.com/pages/broken-spokes-and-their-wobbly-wheels#:~:text=The%20left%2D%20and%20right%2Dside,balance%20and%20causes%20a%20wobble.

Best,

Dan.

ourclarioncall:

--- Quote from: Danneaux on February 17, 2022, 05:59:27 pm ---
--- Quote ---I find it hard to understand how...Breaking one spoke can throw the wheel out of alignment
--- End quote ---

This may help your understanding...  :)
https://www.rivbike.com/pages/broken-spokes-and-their-wobbly-wheels#:~:text=The%20left%2D%20and%20right%2Dside,balance%20and%20causes%20a%20wobble.

Best,

Dan.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Dan

Yeah makes a bit more sense now . I’m visualising the tension on both sides of the wheel . So when one side breaks and let’s go , I can understand how that would change things in that area of the rime

PH:

--- Quote from: ourclarioncall on February 17, 2022, 05:43:20 pm ---Breaking one spoke can throw the wheel out of alignment

--- End quote ---
It does, but not necessarily by much.  Sometimes just letting the brake out a bit is enough, if not it's usually possible to true it up by adjusting the spokes around it as a temporary fix - I say temporary, I did this for a workmate who put the chain into the spokes on the way to work, I thought that would get him home, two years later he was still riding it!

ourclarioncall:

--- Quote from: PH on February 17, 2022, 09:17:05 pm ---
--- Quote from: ourclarioncall on February 17, 2022, 05:43:20 pm ---Breaking one spoke can throw the wheel out of alignment

--- End quote ---
It does, but not necessarily by much.  Sometimes just letting the brake out a bit is enough, if not it's usually possible to true it up by adjusting the spokes around it as a temporary fix - I say temporary, I did this for a workmate who put the chain into the spokes on the way to work, I thought that would get him home, two years later he was still riding it!

--- End quote ---

So when you tighten a spoke , is the spoke pulling the rim in the direction of the side the spoke is on?

Sorry if my question is confusing

If I tighten spokes that that are on the left side of the wheel, thin will that pull the rim towards the left ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version