Author Topic: SOLD Thorn Raven Tour 587L with Rohloff & XTR brakes  (Read 4454 times)

Kuba

SOLD Thorn Raven Tour 587L with Rohloff & XTR brakes
« on: June 10, 2015, 10:05:59 pm »
BIKE NOW SOLD THANKS

***EDIT*** Photos of the bike for sale are available here: http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=97701

Finally, my Raven Tour goes on sale. It's a great expedition bike with many upgrades.

I bought this bike new in March 2011. It's Cobalt Blue 587L size so a large frame hand made of Thorn's 969 CroMo steel. I'm 6'1ish and it fits me well. The frame has few cosmetic scratches, which I touched up, and no dings, dents whatsoever. It's a really strong frame rated up to 40 kg luggage in front & rear panniers. I never hauled this much on it but I rode this bike in the Himalaya with full camping kit and supplies, probably up to 30 kg at times, and it all worked a treat.

It's got the following bits (everything was new supplied with the bike and still in very good condition, or replaced more recently where indicated):

-Rohloff Speedhub 14-speed hub gear and XT hub in front, Sun Rhyno rims
-XTR brakes, levers and brake cables (cables replaced recently along with brake pads)
-Thorn Expedition carriers front and rear (some rubbing marks from panniers but it's all cosmetic)
-Deore chainset
-Ergon grips (very comfy, slightly worn)
-Brooks B17 saddle (fairly worn but still ok)
-SRAM PC890 chain, recently replaced
-Zefal pump that fits this frame
-silver SKS mudguards
-Shwalbe Hurricane 2.0 tyres which covered around 3000 km from new and are still very good - never punctured.

The cycle computer (also included) shows 6,550km, very low mileage for the Rohloff. I changed the oil in the hub every year and gave the bike a full service after each tour.

The bike is in Bristol, I can also bring it to Exeter for a viewing.

As for the price, £1,195 sounds fair to me. Please PM with your email address to see photos (for whatever reason I'm unable to upload any right now) or to arrange a viewing. I prefer collection in person and payment by banker's draft.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 10:59:35 pm by Kuba »

jags

Re: Thorn Raven Tour 587L with Rohloff & XTR brakes
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 10:29:59 pm »
hell of a bike way to big for me tho.
best of luck with the sale .

anto.

Kuba

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 08:25:04 am »
Thanks Anto, yep a great bike indeed capable of most 'serious' touring.

Can't upload photos to prove it though, I get a message 'An Error Has Occurred! Cannot access attachments upload path!" whenever I try. Dan, can you help with this? I uploaded things not long ago without a problem.

in4

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 08:35:26 am »
I believe Dan ( of the limited comms as he's up in the mountains right now) is aware of the problem but was waiting on the IT expertise of 'Thorn Central' for a fix. Think the IT person is due back soon. As a work around you could upload your photos to another site and insert the link into your post. That might work but not knowing what the IT issue is I couldn't be sure.
We'll just have to enjoy reading your bike's spec' and look forward to seeing some photos soon.
Hope that helps for now. I'll go find a link to the relevant Thorn brochure and post it up soon.  :)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 01:13:16 pm by in4 »

in4

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 08:38:28 am »
Here it is: http://web.archive.org/web/20070818182847/http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/thornpdf/ThornRavenTourBroHiRes.pdf

Found here on our Forum. There is a sizing matrix included too. pg 9.

Kuba

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 09:46:48 am »
Great, thanks for clarifications Ian and the brochure. Been off the internet for a while and didn't monitor the Forum.

I'll post it on CTC forum as well on Friday with all the photos, and then add a link here, but wanted to advertise quickly here first.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 11:13:58 am »
Great to view that brochure.
In4. Thanks.
I see Cycling plus gave it best distance bike of the year awards in 2004 & 2006.
Any idea on the recent award recipients?

Matt.
How is looking at his Raven Tour right now, having covered 690 Km in the last week through Kyrgyzstan.
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

jags

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 12:00:53 pm »
are ya getting a tan Matt. 8)
oh and keep that bike clean.

anto.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 03:16:34 pm »
are ya getting a tan Matt. 8)
oh and keep that bike clean.

anto.

As the risk of cross threading this post; yes thanks.
Tan lines coming along nicely.
 ;)
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Kuba

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2015, 03:38:32 pm »
As the risk of cross threading this post; yes thanks.
Tan lines coming along nicely.
 ;)

Always good to hear updates Matt, plus it's a free bump for my ad!  ;)

Are you in Osh yet? If you covered 690km then you should be, if I remember correctly...

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2015, 04:25:57 pm »
Kuba, so sorry for the attachment upload problem; I know it is frustrating, especially during a sale. I wish I could see your bike also!

Ian is correct <many thanks, Ian, for relating the explanation>: My Internet connectivity and connection speed is limited at present. I can still do slow stuff or things that don't matter so much if they get interrupted midway, but I don't want to corrupt the files that are all still there, just awaiting a link to appear again and allow for new uploads and the mail to work again. Though inconvenient, it seems best for me to wait under these circumstances until Adrian can tackle it with a more stable connection. There is fairly quick solution to repair the links that were broken by the mail upgrade, but my connection to the server keeps timing out before I can complete the operation.

Adrian is away on vacation and has very kindly offered to tackle the problem after he returns on the 15th, so it won't be too much longer.

All the best, and best of luck on the sale! The bike sounds lovely.

Dan.

jags

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 10:21:36 pm »
Dan don't be stuck if you want me to look after any problems computer wise sure you only have to ask buddy.

anto.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2015, 11:20:58 pm »
Anthony...if you have a moment free...

;D

All the best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2015, 09:39:14 am »
sorted . ;)

Kuba

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2015, 04:02:23 pm »
Photos and ad now uploaded to the CTC Forum: http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=97701