Author Topic: GoPro alternative  (Read 263 times)

Matt2matt2002

GoPro alternative
« on: May 01, 2024, 02:29:26 pm »
Hi folks.
Another tour looming so need to replace my expired GoPro.
Any suggestions for a cheap n cheerful brand.
Nothing fancy or GoPro priced.

Also, tips for editing clips together appreciated.

Best
Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

JohnR

Re: GoPro alternative
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2024, 12:07:57 pm »
Bullet cam https://www.chilli-tech.com/action-cameras? The new version has the option for a cable to an external battery but doesn't mention the limit to the size of the memory card if wanting to record all day. I tried one of the older bullet cams which made me realise how much I wobbled from side to side when pedalling! I suspect that the image stabilisation on the more expensive of the new models doesn't compensate for wobble.

I can't recommend specific editing software. I would start with whatever is available for free and see if it does the job. If not, this exercise helps getting to know what features are needed in any paid-for software.

Andre Jute

Re: GoPro alternative
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2024, 10:45:58 pm »
No camera is as cheap as the one you already have built into your phone. It is however tiresome mount and protect it for making videos of a tour.

Next up, most modern digital cameras have a video facility built in. And good ones like my Olympus 720-D come with a built-in tripod mount, which makes mounting the thing stably to the handlebars is a doddle. I bought it for 100 Euro at Lidl, the supermarket. You can charge it without taking out the battery but it cannot charge and take a video simultaneously. Controls too fiddly to be handled while wearing full-finger gloves.

If you want a dedicated cheap sport video camera for the bike, I can recommend the Kodak zX1 which has a built-in tripod mount, uses two rechargeable AA batteries, and can be fitted into an optional custom thick rubber case to protect it against sporting knocks. Its primary purpose is video, though it will also take stills. Not a high quality camera but then they spent the money on a functional camera, not a fragile prize-winner. Mine is pretty old and still looks good in the optional rubber case despite some serious knocks, so I think the rubber case is a must for sporting use.