Author Topic: Tyres on icy roads  (Read 7494 times)

Blacksail

Re: Tyres on icy roads
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2010, 10:03:49 pm »
I have been riding with Marathon Winter 26*1.75 initially on an old mountain bike, so I could get to know where the limits were without endangering my Thorn (never did find the limit as my nerve ran out), and more recently on my RST. They are really very good in everything other than deep and rutted snow. That said I do ride much more carefully, don't use my front brakes if on ice and avoid braking while turning. I did initially run them at very low pressure (30 psi) which was good in the snow but too much like hard work for a ride of any great distance I now have them at 70 psi all the time and haven't experienced any problems.

I have, just about, managed to fit mine with 1.75 SKS mudguards with half a millimeter to spare.

The noise does calm down after the first few miles but still sounds like you're riding on gravel.

Schornsteinfeger

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2010, 03:44:48 pm »
The recent return of Aquilon has given me the opportunity to use Marathon Winter tyres on continuous black ice and occasional light snow, at maximum pressure (5 bars). I was able to ride at virtually normal speed with complete confidence, appearing to be more sure-footed than on foot or than in a car with ordinary tyres.
I can recommend them wholeheartedly

Bearbait

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2010, 05:23:47 am »
In winter in Canada, I find studs necessary..but only need them on  the front