Author Topic: Tyres then....choices choices  (Read 3188 times)

FLV

Tyres then....choices choices
« on: May 05, 2010, 05:33:14 pm »
For a trip to India, looking for speed on road with capability off road and a decent level of puncture resistance. 26"

Specialized Hemiphere 1.95 - 790g
Maxxis Overdrive 1.75 - 600g
Schwalbe marathon Supreme 2.0 - 600g

As I understand it the XR's are no longer available? They seemed a bit overly heavy anyway maybe?

Anything Else I should Look at?

jags

Re: Tyres then....choices choices
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 10:50:22 pm »
i have the supreams there a great tyre.

julk

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 11:24:14 pm »
XRs in stock here still.

But not speedy on road!

FLV

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 07:29:00 am »
The XR's pretty much have the tread pattern but at about a kilo each....its a lot of weight!

Whats similar with less weight. I guess conti must do something. I also guess, that less weight=less pucture protection

julk

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 10:32:09 am »
768g
My folding XR 26x2 bought recently from the link.

Not as heavy as you think, but still not a fast ride. Then again, I have only had one slow puncture in 4000 miles and a lot of my local riding is on glass strewn cycle paths. Recommended if you are after an almost indestructible touring tyre.

FLV

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 10:57:11 am »
768g
My folding XR 26x2 bought recently from the link.

Recommended if you are after an almost indestructible touring tyre.

That about sews it up then ta.

I keep thinking I want something Fast, but I guess riding in India I'll be more appreciative of some grip and toughness.

Thanks for the info, especially on the weight. I appreciate it.

I keep edging towards some semi slick mtb tyres but the only ones I've ever used certainly wouldnt be overly tough on a laden bike. Ideally I'd like the bike to be good for some mtb action without mucking about changing tyres. These'll probably do!

mylesau

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 02:09:03 pm »
Another benefit of the XR's not mentioned is that you're likely to get twice the mileage as many other tyres - so the value ($) is even better.

mski

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 03:43:24 pm »
What about the Marathon extreme's, lighter than the XR's but essentially there replacement. Not sure they will be as durable as XR's but having tried to order some from shops that claimed to still have them in stock and finding that in fact they didn't, i will be going the Extremes route.
The roads are pretty good in India so Continental travel contacts may be worth a look as well.
Happy touring