Community > Non-Thorn Related

tyre advice

<< < (2/3) > >>

jags:
no bother  ;D

martinf:
IMO a high quality tyre in 28 is better than something narrower, no slower but more comfortable. But make sure 700x28 will fit his frame.

I've got a racing-style frame in the garage that will take 700x25 max without mudguards. That frame is too small for me, so the minimal tyre clearance doesn't matter, frame will be donated or sold.

As an alternative to Continental, I am quite pleased with the Schwalbe One 700x28 tyres on my lightweight 700C derailleur bike.

lewis noble:
Hello Martinf . . . . How do you find the Schwalbe Ones 700-28 on wet roads?? No tread as far as I can see, any problems??

I'm interested because . . . . I have ordered an Audax . . . . of which more in a later post.  Being built up for me by Thorn.  I've ordered Supremes 700-32, but that can be reviewed . . .

I'll post again.

Lewis

martinf:

--- Quote from: lewisjnoble on November 21, 2017, 09:33:14 pm ---Hello Martinf . . . . How do you find the Schwalbe Ones 700-28 on wet roads?? No tread as far as I can see, any problems??

I'm interested because . . . . I have ordered an Audax . . . . of which more in a later post.  Being built up for me by Thorn.  I've ordered Supremes 700-32, but that can be reviewed . . .

--- End quote ---

The Schwalbe One 700-28 are on a bike that I try and avoid using in wet/dirty conditions, because I don't want the hassle of cleaning the derailleur gearing too often. On that bike they suit the rims and mudguard setup better than wider tyres, which I generally prefer.

But just before I finished building up my Raven Sport Tour I rode that bike to a meeting about 50 kms away. The outward trip was calm and very cold, with occasional icy patches, the weather changed during the day and the homeward trip during the night was in a storm (high winds, branches on the road, heavy rain). I had no problems with the tyres.

I don't think the lack of tread matters much on a road-going tyre. Supremes don't really have much tread either. I use the 26" x 50mm version of the Supremes on my two Raven Tour bikes and find them to be a very good tyre for use on roads with occasional forays onto paths and tracks.

I reckon Schwalbe One 700-28 should be faster than Supreme 700-32, slightly less comfortable, significantly less durable and probably more likely to puncture.

lewis noble:
Thanks Martin, reassuring feedback. 

Clearances are tight on the Audax, according to the massivebrochure, but they tell me it works, so that is what I have gone for and will stick with it.  Compared to the cost of the bike (doesn't the invoice total box mount up!!) the cost of having alternative tyres is minimal.

Lewis

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version