Author Topic: Bike box dimensions  (Read 3232 times)

in4

Bike box dimensions
« on: November 05, 2022, 01:04:32 pm »
 Anyone know the dimensions of the cardboard bike box their Nomad arrived in. I’d prefer not to use a smaller one as that entails dropping  the forks out etc. Thanks

mickeg

Re: Bike box dimensions
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2022, 11:18:12 am »
I think you need to get out the measuring tools, several different sizes of the bike make that more complicated.

In my case, I bought the frame, not complete bike, I can't help.

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2022, 11:45:18 am »
I’d prefer not to use a smaller one as that entails dropping  the forks out etc. Thanks
Why not use the intermediate solution of removing the front wheel and the handlebars + stem but not removing the forks?

in4

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2022, 07:14:03 pm »
Many thanks for the advice, much appreciated. I've found some possible options on eBay but I reckon my LBS might help, I was thinking that bike boxes might come in a range of sizes as customised bike boxes would surely be expensive products to produce and supply. We'll see. Thanks again. 🍻

mickeg

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2022, 02:19:12 pm »
Several years ago I went to a local bike shop, asked if they had any boxes I could use for travel.  They said no but would save one for me, they asked type of bike and size.  I told them a 59cm size, 700c touring bike.  They called later and said they had a box for me, I went and picked up my box that was for a 59cm road bike.  But, my touring bike had longer chainstays, did not fit in the box.  I ended up taking my folding bike on that trip instead, as I did not need to haul panniers on that trip.

If you get a box at a bike shop, ask for the other packing materials too, such as the plastic part that goes in the front fork so that the fork blades do not puncture the bottom of the box and stick out, etc.  Hmmmm, now in the age of through axles, not sure if the old plastic parts for that purpose are readily available any more.  If not, you might need a 100mm piece of wood with a couple wood screws to go in your front fork.

I assume your bike is a Rohloff bike since you said Nomad, so I won't go into detail on rear derailleur or hanger.

There are packing videos on youtube.  I attached two photos of how my road bike was packed by the manufacturer, I took these photos when I took it out of the box from the manufacturer.

in4

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2022, 09:15:17 am »
Many thanks again for all the advices offered. Appreciated, a lot.

Having done further research including consulting with The Bridgewater Oracle ( always brilliant!) it seems that both sourcing and using a bike box large enough to avoid partially dis-assembling my  Nomad would be prohibitively expensive and too big for most airlines. DM me if you want to get granular!

Additionally a quick quote from a 'eurocourier' was £350.

The Portsmouth - Santander ferry does not take bike passengers atm. And so on...!

So that'll be a virtual Brompton with S&S couplings for Christmas 🤣

Thanks again everyone. Other options being explored.

John Saxby

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2022, 04:45:30 pm »
May be a little late in the game, but I've used this item for my Raven:
https://www.shipbikes.com/clShop1.aspx

Scroll down to #2, "xBike Shipper Bicycle Container".  Mine has linear dimensions adding up to 85", OK for most airlines. (42x32x11).  I've had this for several years now, packed it maybe 10 times, & it's still serviceable. I paid US$40 for it in 2017, so the current US25 seems like a bargain.  Dunno what the cost of shipping to UK might be.

My Raven was medium sized, not sure what size your Nomad may be, but the xBox swallowed the Raven with no problem.  Note that very little disassembly is required -- wheels, seat & pedals off, mudguards if you have them, and bars turned sideways.

jimi84

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2023, 08:25:49 am »
The cardboard bike box used to ship a Nomad mountain bike typically measures around 54 x 8 x 30 inches (137 x 20 x 76 cm). This size should be able to accommodate most bike frames without having to remove the forks or other components.

navrig

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2023, 06:09:58 pm »
During the pandemic I found myself in Saigon in Vietnam.  I wanted a bike so travelled right across the city to Decathlon where I managed to bag the last road bike they had in stock.  It was the right size for me.  I also took the chance to get some extras like pedals, helmet, lights etc.

Everywhere in Saigon delivers, it's just part of their culture.  I found out that they would deliver to a nearby bar and climbing wall complex (!).  This suited me better because they would hold it until I was ready to pick it up.

When I got there they gave me this enormous cardboard box which I had to drag/carry about 500m to my apartment.

When I opened it the bike was fully built including the wheels attached, more or less ready to ride!!

Never had that before with a bike.