Author Topic: Rings a bell?  (Read 8412 times)

Matt2matt2002

Rings a bell?
« on: March 17, 2013, 09:03:02 pm »
Just had my 7th ride out on the Raven.
All Tarmac country roads, well known to me, minimal traffic.

All with out a bell!

I moved things over from my Dawes Sardar and unintentionally left the bell behind.
So far I haven't missed it but it did occur to me I might need it. But then again on the 7 rides so far I have never required it.

Thoughts on bells, folks.
Legal? Sensible? Over-rated? Alternatives?

Matt

Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: Rings a bell?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 09:18:51 pm »
I use my bell a lot. Coming down a long hill just to scare the deer away. Coming up behind somebody walking their dog. Coming up alongside parked vehicles where maybe somebody has the door open & is unbuckling their child.

I have an old bell probably early 80's or so. It was in one of my ancient old parts bags. Works good enough!

ianshearin

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 09:21:16 pm »
Never used one in my life, first thing I ditch....
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.
'shing xiong'

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 09:44:02 pm »
Pete (Il Padrone) has a nice one that snuggles next to his left grip, nicely mirroring the Rohloff grip-shifter on the other side.

Since you're not using drops, this "stealthy bell" option is open to you as well!

Best,

Dan.

il padrone

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 09:44:25 pm »
Legally required here.

Mostly used on bike paths to warn pedestrians.

Pointless in road traffic, but so is a kickstand  :P

I rode without a bell for many years, but since I have one fitted now, I do find it  very valuable for those bike path and railtrail rides that I do.

[edit] The one on my Thorn Nomad is the Mirrycle Incredibell Grip bell

I do also really like the big "Avon-calling" gleaming low-rider bell on my Shogun roadster

« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 10:18:34 pm by il padrone »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 09:51:12 pm »
Hi All!

Surely everyone who has read Matt's topic title is familiar with this old joke?
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071105143935AAXD2y9

This is the more common variation:
http://shaggy-dogs.briancombs.net/270/the-classic-tale-of-quasimodos-bell-ringer

Best,

Dan. (...who thinks it would be funnier if the setup wasn't so long)

jags

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 10:55:59 pm »
i got a bell from bikepacker exactly like the second one you posted  heavy beast but a nice ring. ;D ;D
dan sent me a  nice brass one i have that on the Raleigh.
good to have on the bike i reckon. ;)

Andybg

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 05:25:16 am »
The main use I find for a bell is letting other cyclists know when you are approaching them from behind.

Did not ride with one for years but now find it invaluable

Andy

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 07:15:06 am »

Andy

I could say the same thing about my mirror.

I have Humbert bars so,the incredibell would be hard to fit? I guess it slides onto the end of the bar?
The web site does not make the fitting clear.
Does it ring by twisting or pinging?

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

il padrone

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 08:43:02 am »
I have Humbert bars so,the incredibell would be hard to fit? I guess it slides onto the end of the bar?
The web site does not make the fitting clear.
Does it ring by twisting or pinging?

To the contrary. You'd just slide it on between your left grip and the brake lever and tighten it up. It is a twist-ring - maybe a little tingy to my liking (why I like the cruiser bell's "Avon-calling" tone*) but very handy.

* Sounds like this  ;)

Quote from: Andybg

The same could be said about three of my handy bike accessories - each of which were discarded in my late teens as "too dorky man!"

Kickstand, bell, and mirror.

The mirror was the one I picked up again earliest - I have been using one for 'traffic management' since about 1981, when I was 23 yo. The kickstand and bell have been much more recent re-discoveries.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 08:49:34 am by il padrone »

Andybg

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 09:36:58 am »
And dont forget mudguards too. Pulled them straight off my 86 Raleigh Medale along with the rear rack, and then there is spoke reflectors which I have taken off bikes relgiously for years and years and then am now buying them (albeit in a different style) to put back on again

Andy

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 09:41:05 am »
yes ... a bell. I share il padrone's bell taste in the Mirrycle Incredibel ...

http://www.mirrycle.com/gripbell.php

I obtained one directly from the company but in the silver/grey colour. My old ping bell just was not loud enough to warn pedestrians when approaching from behind. They used to jump out their skin as they heard the bell at the last minute. The Incredibell works well giving plenty of warning thus avoiding the pedestrian users of the shared cycle/walking path leaping into the air!

I suppose I could always cough, shout, 'say hello', or 'bike coming watch out' or whistle, but the Incredibell has such a friendly ring! (see link above). I prefer it. Built into the handlebar grip means that it does not obviously look like a bell. For those planning to tour in countries where you are constantly surrounded by groups of kids it would be ideal. Reading some touring blogs, they all seem to want to ring the bell!

Matt - I found it very easy to fit on the Thorn Comfort bars. It pings internally when you twist it if that makes sense.

Bells must be fitted at the point of sale but there is no legal requirement to have one on a bike in the UK (except Northern-Ireland and the Isle of Man) ...

http://www.ctc.org.uk/cyclists-library/regulations/safety-regulations

I would keep one on a bike as if you are ever in a collision with a pedestrian, and they decide to take legal action, they may claim a lack of due care and attention or some other wooly British legal term if you did not have a bell fitted (I am not a lawyer though!).

While searching for the legal status of bike bells in the UK I found this ...

ISOBEL ASKS: IS A BELL NECESSARY ON A BICYCLE? BIKEHUB ANSWERS: MAYBE BUT IT’S NOT A LEGAL REQUIREMENT
At the point of sale (ie shops) bikes have to be fitted with bells but there is no legal requirement for them to be fitted to bicycles no longer on shop display. [NOTE: thanks to the Coalition Government's Red Tape Challenge this requirement will be history soon but, for now, is still in force).

The Highway Code does not stipulate that bells must be used. It states: "Be considerate of other road users, particularly blind and partially sighted pedestrians. Let them know you are there when necessary, for example by ringing your bell."

Another 'audible warning device' is the human voice: a polite 'excuse me' can often come across as a lot less aggressive than the apparently insistent tinkling of a bell. However, 'angry of Tunbridge Wells' type letters to newspapers continue to insist that cyclists - from church-hopping old maids to downhill mountain-bikers - ought to use bells, despite the fact their use often scares the bejesus out of pedestrians.

On the Continent, the use of bells is more widespread and pedestrians do not leap out of their skin when they hear a bicycle bell behind them. Perhaps, in time, the use of bicycle bells in the UK will once again mean cyclist approaching, please don't move to the side rather than oi, cyclist coming, get out of my way.

The full, sometimes amusing, article ...

http://www.bikehub.co.uk/featured-articles/cycling-and-the-law/
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 10:05:06 am by StuntPilot »

il padrone

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 11:14:57 am »
Then there is of course this bloke's use of the bell. Certainly demonstrates to me that some people respond much better to a bell ring than to a spoken voice.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 02:18:36 pm »
[Matt, you may want to see the last go-'round on bells; there's some good links: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=4118.0 ]

Perhaps, in time, the use of bicycle bells in the UK will once again mean cyclist approaching, please don't move to the side rather than oi, cyclist coming, get out of my way.
This is the classic dilemma I face when closing on pedestrians here. I was summarily dressed-down for giving a single <ding> of my bell yesterday, and was told it a) scared the dog, b) annoyed the owner, c) was rude in the extreme, and d) was totally unnecessary. I rang in advance, rather than waiting till I was right behind.

Also, it seems a number of people have hearing losses in the very same frequencies as my bells ring (I have a collection: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=4118.msg18672#msg18672 ) If they seem oblivious, it is because they can't hear it! Lower tones are a real help in this case.

On the other hand, if I politely say "Passing on your left", about half the people will suddenly dart left as if jolted with electricity!

I am beginning to think having a multi-ring bell -- and using it starting at a distance might be a) more annoying but b) less frightening/startling/effective.

Loved the "bell troll" video Pete just posted!

Best,

Dan.

Andybg

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 03:06:01 pm »
This is what you need:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001NGD5ES/ref=asc_df_B001NGD5ES1680980?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=dealt1-20

A fantastic and old design but definelty the solution to the problem of scarring people. Just set it working 100 meter up the road

Andy