Author Topic: Thorn Raven Tour - Ebay  (Read 3439 times)

Andybg

Thorn Raven Tour - Ebay
« on: January 15, 2013, 06:50:22 am »
Another ebay sale: Not sure of the size but am dubious it would be a good fit for someone of 6'

Andy

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thorn-Raven-Touring-Bike-Rohoff-Hub-Cycling-/330857196447?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item4d08a02b9f

rualexander

Re: Thorn Raven Tour - Ebay
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 08:31:55 am »
No way would it be suitable for someone of six foot height, looks like one of the smallest sizes.
Also, it's a mk1 with the celtic bands decals, they haven't been made for about 9 years, and the ad says 2 years old.

ianshearin

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 08:47:24 am »
Not sure I like those decals on the frame, glad they discontinued them.

I have mailed the seller for a frame size but I am thinking it may not be a genuine sale.
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.
'shing xiong'

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 10:38:10 am »
No way would it be suitable for someone of six foot height, looks like one of the smallest sizes.
Also, it's a mk1 with the celtic bands decals, they haven't been made for about 9 years, and the ad says 2 years old.

That's interesting. Is there somewhere to see the history of the Thorn bikes?
What models were made when etc.
I know that they can be customed up to the nth degree but I would be very interested to see the history of the basic bikes in picture form

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

leftpoole

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 02:10:03 pm »
Not sure I like those decals on the frame, glad they discontinued them.

I have mailed the seller for a frame size but I am thinking it may not be a genuine sale.

Hello?
Any particular reason that you feel this may not be a 'genuine sale'?
Thorn did sell odd older framesets a while ago, plus a number of buyers have sold 'new' unused frames on Ebay. People have puchased and run out of money to complete the build.
I for one am never happy that people always seem to jump in with these not a genuine sale comments without any thought. Ebay is not all about thieves selling stolen bikes!
John

ianshearin

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 02:23:56 pm »
Well let me apologise first John if I offended you, that was certainly not my intention.

I do not have any concrete evidence that it is a dodgy sale, however I put the few minor clues together (Bike age, gears cost a Grand, Size fits a 6" person)
None of these suggest a dodgy sale.
However I reserve the right to listen to a gut feeling, right or wrong that may be it ha served me well when dealing in remote second hand buying experiences.

Secondly John, I regard this forum as a place of friends, people with whom I have a common interest and with whom all share a desire to share information and dreams, sometimes that means I will share my thoughts without a filter as I did above.

I would be pleased to hear that someone bought the bike and was happy with it.

Ian
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.
'shing xiong'

leftpoole

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 03:15:05 pm »
Hello,
Nobody offended me or anyone else I hope!
The descriptive text in the Ebay listing tells the tale that the owner is 6 ft tall and the bike fits him.
Well I agree with him. The bike is setup with the stem uncut and the seatpost at more than maximum by the look of it. So it should fit him in some sense of things.
However the bike looks to be for someone around 5 feet maybe?
John

ianshearin

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 03:45:08 pm »
Just had an email from the seller, the frame is 487L

Ian
'shing xiong'

Andre Jute

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 05:32:44 pm »
Just had an email from the seller, the frame is 487L
Ian

Be pretty twitchy under a six-footer...

Andre Jute

jags

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 05:53:00 pm »
his legs must be only 18 inches. ::)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 05:55:58 pm »
...or he really values standover clearance.  ;D

Best,

Dan.

ianshearin

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 06:48:49 pm »
With that sort of clearance he could ride under the belly of a rattlesnake with a top hat on.....
'shing xiong'

bobs

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 09:02:39 pm »
I have /had a 487L frame and it fitted me fine. I'm 5' 8" with 29" inside leg. No way would it be suitable for someone 6'.
The only thing I find strange is that it has an EX box. The frame is designed for an internal box and as such its a bit of a botched job.

Bob

PS the frame does look in good condition and could have been one sold recently by SJSC.