Author Topic: Thorn Audax MK3 for sale  (Read 11422 times)

CWM

Re: Thorn Audax MK3 for sale
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2014, 11:31:13 pm »
Just to vouch for what Dan says, whilst I've never bought a complete bike from John but I do have:

1. His grey Sherpa F&F and wheels etc. was my fav bike for a couple of years now used by my son

2. His red Audax F&F  (or should I say one if his red audaxes)

3. His black Audax F&F which I built up for a friend. 

Service always good.

Clive

jags

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2014, 11:38:40 pm »
i think once john builds it up it will be sold within a week ;)

jags.

leftpoole

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2014, 07:49:37 am »
i think once john builds it up it will be sold within a week ;)

jags.

Kind words Anto!
Frameset and racks have arrived-from Italy. Incorrect size advertised and seller refunded immediately. Frame on its way back which is a shame.
Sorry to anyone who hoped for a newly built Audax Mk3!
John

Donerol

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2014, 09:40:19 am »
Does the size matter if you were going to sell it on anyway?  ???

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2014, 09:53:25 am »
I'm guessing a different frame size might have affected installation and placement of ancillary items like mudguards.  The bridges would have been in a different place requiring new and duplicate holes be drilled in the 'guards. Possibly stays of different length as well.

John's fenderlines are second to none, so I'm guessing this might have been one factor among several if the bike was to be equipped with 'guards. He's a Detail Man who takes great care to get it right in all aspects.

Best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2014, 04:28:53 pm »
i'ts amazing how us thornies view a bike,guess we are all lovers of quality steel  frames.
i serviced my friends cannondale tourer the other day,although its a nice bike it doesnt hole a candle to the quality and build of my Thorn Audax ;).or now sold Sherpa.

i'm one of these guys that loves bikes always have, i've owned some great ones in my day,i wont stick my neck out and say the audax is better than any i've owned but yeah its well up there for sure.
i think the secret is to get the bike build exactly as you want it,i'm not just there yet with my audax still want dynamo and grand bios tyres once i get that sorted it will be one hell of a bike just the way i want it built to perfection.

::)

Donerol

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2014, 04:39:36 pm »
I'm guessing a different frame size might have affected installation and placement of ancillary items like mudguards.....He's a Detail Man who takes great care to get it right in all aspects.

Thanks for the explanation!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2014, 05:40:03 pm »
Best of luck on the next go-'round, John. Sorry for the bother and disappointment the seller's oversight cost you but they did the right thing, quickly and honorably; commendable.

All the best,

Dan.

leftpoole

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2014, 07:45:09 am »
Does the size matter if you were going to sell it on anyway?  ???

Good point obviously, but if it had not sold I would be stuck with it. Plus it was small and in my experience these small bikes are not greatly wanted. On top of that......
I could not test it or ride it in any way. Yes the mudguard fitting would have been compromised also.
All told I would only ever build a bike 'my size' for convenience.
As a matter of interest I may sell my own Mk 3 Audax which is mint hardly ridden, carbon forks (Kinesis not cheap ones) and as such keep looking here. It is a size 550.   
John

Planet X

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2014, 08:48:28 am »
Hi John,
"If you're selling".......what size colour, age spec. Compact or triple? etc  I'm 170cm, about 5'7".
Cheers.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 08:50:26 am by Planet X »

jags

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2014, 09:29:19 am »
john bike should fit you perfect planet x..

jags.

leftpoole

Hi John,
"If you're selling".......what size colour, age spec. Compact or triple? etc  I'm 170cm, about 5'7".
Cheers.

Pictures here

http://www.pbase.com/leftpoole/redthornmk3

Size 550
Red with Kinesis Carbon fork, top quality carbon seat pin too.
Ridden only 200 miles (if that) due to health issues (4 bikes and only one heart (needing attention)...)
£750 ono and I mean near not miles away.
I might be able to post but the bike is here in Christchurch, Dorset to view. Any postage costs if agreed to be paid by purchaser.
PLEASE PM if interested.
PICTURES ARE ON THE LINK ABOVE NOW FITTED WITH NEW TUBUS FLY RACK -INCLUDED!
Regards,
John
PS BROOKS SADDLE NOT INCLUDED BUT I WILL FIT PEDALS.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 09:57:57 am by leftpoole »

bikerta

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2014, 11:12:42 am »
Lovely looking bike John and selling at a very good price too. Good luck with the sale and hope it sells to someone on here or maybe a future member.

Planet X

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2014, 11:15:16 am »
Standover height looks perfect on the 550 @ 77.2cm. My Disc Trucker is 77.4cm and fits perfect.
Effective TT looks good @ 56.5cm.on the Audax. Surly comes in @ 54. That's OK. Actually I want another few cm's on my bike. Was considering getting a longer stem, so good size.
I've done a  200 Audax on my bike but at 16kg.........I stop on hills while everyone else sails by me. It's the 16kg. that kills me. The Thorn seems to be about 11kg. max. which I'd like.
Tempted! :P

Planet X

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2014, 01:12:56 pm »
PM sent.