Author Topic: Thorn Audax MK3 for sale  (Read 11423 times)

bikerta

Thorn Audax MK3 for sale
« on: June 07, 2014, 12:52:35 pm »
Just spotted this Thorn Audax MK3 Frame and forks for sale if any interest to anyone.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/thorn-audax-mk3

Also this Audax MK2 complete bike on Ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thorn-Audax-Mk3-Bike-Shimano-105-/121358413011?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item1c41866cd3
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 01:41:02 pm by bikerta »

jags

Re: Thorn Audax MK3 for sale
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 01:51:48 pm »
very nice red audax but i have ne already  ;)

jags.

in4

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 02:18:04 pm »
I knew I should have had that ex-demo 570 for circa £1k from the SJS site. Bargain and virtually new. I love my Mk1 Nomad but it is rather depressing when you get left behind by the 700c club!

jags

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 02:43:16 pm »
yip i know the feeling only to well thats the reason i ride solo these days ;)

leftpoole

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 09:49:41 am »
yip i know the feeling only to well thats the reason i ride solo these days ;)

Ah! But riding the Audax 853 means you are at the front    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

nztony

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 12:23:54 pm »
Code: [Select]
I love my Mk1 Nomad but it is rather depressing when you get left behind by the 700c club!
In4, I completely understand this, riding my Nomad MK2 around the place here in my neck of the woods.

When my bike was only a couple of weeks old and no one had yet come up and overtaken me, I thought I was
riding along quite nicely and semi quickly, but I have very quickly learnt that I'm going along slowly! The 700c
riders overtake me, spinning along in the 39 x 15 (or similar) and 2 minutes later they disappear out of sight.

However, when I'm happily riding along by myself, the Nomad and the big Schwalbe Marathon Mondial 26 x 2.15's
actually seem quite fast and make a nice sound on the sealed roads, making me "think" I'm riding at a decent speed, even if
I'm not.

I know by looking at my average speeds I'm not exactly going very quickly, but as the bike feels "semi quick" it is not too bad
(until the 700c bikers overtake me!) A group of 10 riders overtook me on their Saturday ride last week up a long 21km climb, and
I (playfully) shouted out to them as they overtook me "I'll race you to the top" and would you believe they laughed at me! (but
all in good humour) I remember (20+ years ago) being one of those guys in those bunches, and now I just have to pedal away and
watch them disappear in double quick time!

It's all good fun though,

Tony

leftpoole

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 04:24:21 pm »
Just spotted this Thorn Audax MK3 Frame and forks for sale if any interest to anyone.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/thorn-audax-mk3

Sold! to me   ;) ;D
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 08:47:28 am by leftpoole »

jags

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 05:12:26 pm »
i done a charity ride last sunday first time in a group in a year or so, my average was 15.5mph when i got home its usually around 13mph when i'm on my own so group riding is always going to be faster.
i'm happy enough at 13 thank you very much.

jags. ;D

bikerta

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 08:51:44 pm »
Looks like Leftpoole has got himself another Audax.  Well done.

jags

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 09:31:42 pm »
So John did you buy and sell it again ?

anto.

leftpoole

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2014, 08:45:51 am »
So John did you buy and sell it again ?

anto.

Hi all,
I purchased the frame as described on 'Singletrack' yesterday (thanks to jags). I have purchased to build with a set of parts and wheels that I have from a previous Mk 3 (black one) the frame of which I sold.
I will build the bike to my usual 'high' standard   :) and sell it. I have been moving my cycle parts for some time and as I am in and out of Hospital regularly it seems best to stick to a basic set of bikes which I now have. I no longer have the time nor enthusiasm or energy for much bike fettling. I just want to ride as much as possible given restraint of poor health.
The built bike will be offered on here and CTC (possibly Ebay) soon (supposing the frame arrives from Italy!!).
If anyone is interested I expect the full bike with 27 speed (bar end shifters) to be in the region of £695:00. I can possible post the completed bike also.
All the best,
John
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 09:51:23 am by leftpoole »

jags

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 01:22:24 pm »
John i might have a guy interested possibly could be a bit small for him  but i'll ask anyway.if i hear anything i'll let you know straight away.
will you email me a photo so as i can forward it on to him.

anto.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2014, 07:20:50 am »
John's builds are the best possible in terms of workmanship and results and are also aesthetically elegant.

Whoever buys one of his builds gets an exceptional machine, invested with great care to a very high standard from all I've seen.

Thinking of you an wishing success on the health front, John.

Best,  

Dan.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 07:33:19 pm by Danneaux »

leftpoole

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2014, 09:39:48 am »
Dan and Anto!
Thank you both.
The frame should be arriving from Italy next week, when it does I shall build up as soon as I can.
It will then be offered For Sale.
It is my way of moving out my wheels/gears/shifters/cables/brakes etc onto a built bike.
Best to all,
John

jags

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2014, 10:43:19 am »
i email a couple of people but as yes no word back from them.what size is it john will you be fitting racks front and rear just so as i know.
cheers
anto.