Author Topic: New "Flat-Less" Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tyres for 2014  (Read 6066 times)

Aushiker

• Aushiker: Bicycling and Bushwalking in Western Australia
New "Flat-Less" Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tyres for 2014
« on: April 21, 2014, 02:02:38 pm »
Schwalbe is releasing an updated Schwalbe Marathon Plus in 2014 according to the latest press release from Schwalbe.

Now Schwalbe is presenting a new version of its Marathon Plus. Despite its thick protective layer, the tyre rolls surprisingly lightly. “Our laboratory test have shown that among tyres with thick puncture protection belts, the Marathon Plus has by far the lightest rolling characteristics", says René Marks.

The side walls have also been optimised. Since the tyre is so substantial, it has often been ridden with too low air pressure. These years of "mishandling" would sometimes lead to cracks in the side walls. Now a special anti-aging technology works to protect the side walls of the Marathon Plus from premature cracking as well as adverse weather conditions. The rubber compound also makes the Marathon worthy of its name: The Endurance Compound rolls for thousands of kilometres with excellent performance characteristics and low abrasion.

The patented ‘Plus’ of the Marathon is still the heart of the tyre: Smart Guard, the protective belt consisting of five millimetre thick natural rubber. The tyre is now partly made from recycled rubber and is therefore resource-friendly.

Press release can be found at http://www.schwalbe.com/en/pressereader/the-new-flat-less.html

Andrew
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 02:33:37 pm by Aushiker »

jags

Re: New "Flat-Less" Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tyres for 2014
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 02:32:11 pm »
bet there still way to heavy :o

honesty

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 04:42:37 pm »
The new Marathon almotion looks like an interesting proposition.

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 07:48:56 pm »
bet there still way to heavy :o

1100g Anto, for the 26x2.0! The same size Mondial is two thirds the weight (740g).

i haven't tried them, but I expect the Plus is also more rigid, leading to a "wooden" feel. I don't think they'll ever make it onto my bike.

And yes, the Almotion is intriguing, as the 2.15 version is only 40g heavier than the Mondial 2.0. It's a candidate for replacing my Duremes (which coincidentally gave me my first flat yesterday - a pinhole on the tread side of the tube at the valve. I couldn't find the slightest sign of tread penetration however, so I'm chalking it up to grit trapped in between tyre and tube.)

Anyone know what the 26x2.0 Duremes weigh? Now they've been discontinued, they're not on the Schwalbe website anywhere.

jags

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 08:02:48 pm »
hard i think to beat the ride of the supreams Sam and a hell of a lot lighter.
to be honest if the tyre is good in the first place getting a puncture is down to bad luck . ;D

jags.

sd

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 10:53:26 pm »
   Sod punctures the problem with you lot, is you try different tyres!! I use Marathon Plus only and that way you don't notice the difference... Bet you never thought about that!!!
    I had my first puncture for...god knows. Had to pump the tube up until it was huge to find the puncture. Could not find the cause although I did notice the tyres were nearly bald. ATB Marathon Plus tyres so may just lower pressure and ware out the edges. Alternatively I may put on 1 of the 2 spare pairs I have. Uhmm not likely to be using any other tyres soon!!
     Cycling back from the pub with the rain bucketing down on unlit rural roads has put me off punctures.
      My second hand Thorn did have some fantasticaly comfortable big apples on when I got it but to many punctures pity.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 08:37:37 am by sd »

sd

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 11:05:29 pm »
hard i think to beat the ride of the supreams Sam and a hell of a lot lighter.
to be honest if the tyre is good in the first place getting a puncture is down to bad luck . ;D

jags.

I have had loads of punctures on tyres in excellent condition. Roughly once a month. Hopefully I will remember when I next get one cycling back from the pub how to disconnect the Rohloff to take of the rear wheel!! ;)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 08:37:11 am by sd »

Andre Jute

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 11:45:56 pm »
  Sod punctures the problem with you lot, is you try different tyres!! I use Marathon Plus only and that way you don't notice the difference... Bet you never thought about that?

That's one solution! If you don't know that there are lighter tyres that ride less like stone circles, you can't complain! But the other guys do have a point. The Marathon Plus sacrifices everything to puncture proofing and longevity.

My second hand Thorn did have some fantasticaly comfortable big apples on when I got it but to many punctures pity.

Never had a single puncture in over 7000km on Big Apple Liteskins.

sd

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 11:53:10 pm »

Never had a single puncture in over 7000km on Big Apple Liteskins.
What, on the same pair?

Andre Jute

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 01:35:17 am »
Yes, it looks like they could make 10K. Those are kilometers, eh, not miles. Currently at about 4500 miles and expected to go 6000 miles.

David Simpson

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 06:45:43 am »
Anyone know what the 26x2.0 Duremes weigh?

They are still listed on starbike.com.

folding = 590g
wired = 640g

I've just passed 3200km (2000 miles) on my Duremes, and I love them.  My commute consists of both paved sections and graveled trails, and they have been great tires for me.  Of course (as has been pointed out already), they are the only tires I have used on my Nomad, so I have nothing to compare them too.

- Dave

sd

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 08:36:12 am »
Yes, it looks like they could make 10K. Those are kilometers, eh, not miles. Currently at about 4500 miles and expected to go 6000 miles.
Sorry great difficulty in believing that as doubt I have done that much on my Marathon plus tyres and they are ATB ie decent amount of tread. Certainly don't recall Big Apple having more tread.
 What is the "eh" about?

sd

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 08:48:50 am »
  The Marathon Plus ATBs are not 1.75 but 2.25 so maybe not so wooden/stone like. As stated bucketing down, pitch black possibly had a few to drink so in those circumstances its just possible that you all might be more inclined towards Marathon Plus. I would certainly give big apple a go as found them extremely comfortable. Thought the reason was the thudbuster that came with the bike turns out not. Pity.

honesty

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2014, 02:08:18 pm »
Tyre wear is massively dependent on external factors like terrain ridden over, rider weight, etc. A much lighter person than you that rides exclusively on well maintained tarmac with get thousands of miles more out of a tyre than a heavy person riding single track whatever the tyre is.

jags

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2014, 02:45:04 pm »
sd i had no more that 50 miles on my spanking new marathon plus when i got a puncture :o couple hundred miles later i went over some gravel and put a 3inch rip in the sidewall chainreaction replaced it for free,so yeah i'm not a big fan of them .
if you havent tried the supreams give them a go  you will soon realize there much better.
anyway that my story ;D