Author Topic: Hand Positions  (Read 5798 times)

Andybg

Hand Positions
« on: October 08, 2012, 01:16:12 pm »
In about a months time I am picking up a new bike to use/replace/enhance my Nomad while it is getting rebuilt. For the first time I will be doing long distances on a straight barred bike so it has been making me think about how I will find it and looking at my own riding style over the last week.

I am eager to like straight bars but I was amazed to discover that there are 13 distinct positions I use on drop bars both for comfort and in specific situations. I am sure this is quite normal but it is amazing what you notice when you are paying attention. I am just trying to find out a way to find out what hand positions I use subconciously. It is very difficult to pay attention and act normaly at the same time. (Some people even say I never act normaly)

jags

Re: Hand Positions
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 02:29:23 pm »
couldn't go with straight andy ,ok if your only going to the shops but long distance no man couldn't do it.
i'm most of the time on the hoods on the flats (TOP) when climbing, and on the  drops when the devil is in me  ;)

Andybg

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 03:15:36 pm »
That is my gut feeling Jags but I have decided for an experiment Iwill give it a go. On my RST (although I never did anything over 70km) I found it ok with the straight bars and ergon Gp 5 L shaped bar ends so Lets see how it goes.

If it is really untenable for long term use then atleast I will know that for the future

jags

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 03:50:04 pm »
nothing beats a try Andy,
my friend rides a raven tour super bike, he loves his straight bars and comfort grips.
just finished a two week jaunt in france and had no complaints  ;) .

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 06:11:02 pm »
Hi Andy!

Best of luck on trying the straight handlebars...you won't know till you try, and they may prove ideal for that particular bike and your riding style on it. If nothing else, it's education, and that always has value.

Last year when I still owned Sherpa, I worked up a photo collage to send to a friend who had never ridden drop 'bars but was considering them on his new bicycle. The simple task of taking the photos proved a bit daunting when I needed one hand to pose and the other to take pictures, so some positions look a bit more strained than they do in real life. Still, the attached collage shows my 7 favorite hand positions when using drop handlebars.

I have the interrupter ('cross-top) levers in place on Sherpa here (soon to be on the Nomad), and they gave me secure braking in positions 1 and 2, also used when descending really steep goat tracks and I want to get my weight as far back on the saddle as possible to prevent an endo. When tired or wanting a stretch, I use position 3. My most-used and favorite position is 4, atop the brake hoods. Positions 5-7 are for go-fast efforts or going into headwinds.

It is very difficult to pay attention and act normaly at the same time. (Some people even say I never act normaly)
<nods> Andy most people pay attention to me 'cos I'm not acting...ehm, normally. I'm bike-crazy in a car-culture. Its a matter of anthropology, not mental health.

All the best,

Dan. (Who thinks there's a dissertation in there somewhere...)

Andre Jute

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 12:40:26 am »
Mmm. Doesn't Thorn push a medium-swept relative of the straight, flat bar, designed by Andy the Designer's wife Fiona, who's a physiologist? Has anyone got one? What's it like on long rides? Designer and wife, IIRC, swear high and low by those bars, and their journeys add up substantially. -- Andre Jute

Andybg

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 06:21:26 am »
Yeah Andre

They call them the comfort bars. It is certainly worth another test. The only issue I can see with them is that they only give 1 position which no matter how comfy, I would imagine would leed to discomfort if not terminal boredom on a long run.

The straight's with ergon gp5 bar ends gives 3 good positions.

Maybe I'll try both and try to givea fair review of the 3 main options. Soon the weather will be changing here and I am looking forward to having the straight bars for the snow and the ice. The question is whether by the time spring comes, I will be a straight bar convert or looking forward to getting back on the drops.

Watch this space

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 10:58:11 am »
Yeah Andre

They call them the comfort bars. It is certainly worth another test. The only issue I can see with them is that they only give 1 position which no matter how comfy, I would imagine would leed to discomfort if not terminal boredom on a long run.

The straight's with ergon gp5 bar ends gives 3 good positions.

Maybe I'll try both and try to givea fair review of the 3 main options. Soon the weather will be changing here and I am looking forward to having the straight bars for the snow and the ice. The question is whether by the time spring comes, I will be a straight bar convert or looking forward to getting back on the drops.

Watch this space

Could you have comfort bars with ergon gp5's?
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Andybg

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 11:06:21 am »
Yes - there is another post:

http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=4747.0

That discusses thisexact set up.

Cheers

Andy

peter jenkins

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 12:46:10 pm »
I have owned three drop bar bikes for a few years (including my Club Tour) and added a Moulton TSR30 to the stable about 3 years ago. This particular model was availale in drop bar and flat bar versions for the same price and I chose flat bars as I thought (and still do, in theory) that flat bars have some advantages over drops.. e.g. a more upright position, easier reach to the brake levers and thumb shifters/ rapid fires/whatever.

I really wanted to enjoy my flat bars but could never get really comfortable for any length of time. I tried different stem lengths, bar ends and even butterfly bars (modolo from SJS) They were great for about 2 hours but after that the inability to change position began to tell. It's not until you spend a day on flat bars that you appreciate how much you can change your position on drop bars. It's not just the angle of the wrist. Your lower back and shoulders benefit from being to sit up on the tops, lean forward on the hoods and get down on the drops.

I eventually spent an eye watering amount of money on retro fitting the drop bars. The greatest expense was the Campag. Centaur Ergo brake levers/shifters.

I sold the flat bars and their levers to another Moulton owner who swears by them.

But, as I have commented in an earlier post, we're all individuals and what works for one might be abject misery for another...

Cheers,

pj

julk

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 02:57:50 pm »
I have comfort bars with ergon gp1s which are the basic grip without any bar ends.
For me fantastic - no need to change position
• the grips have a flattish section which supports and which is sorely missed if I go back to 'normal' straight bar grips.
• the bars have a rearward sweep and width which suits my ageing back and shoulders nicely, I used to like narrower and straighter bars when younger.

Andybg

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 05:19:17 pm »
These look quiet interesting. They break into 3 parts so they can take the rohloff changer:

http://www.rivingtonbikes.co.uk/handlebars-stems/8652-humpert-hornbar-vario-flat-bar.html

Andybg

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 05:20:58 pm »

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 05:42:34 pm »
I like these a lot and have seriously thought of including them on my spec for my new Nomad
However.....
I never ride without a morror. How / where would I fit one?
Give me a solution and I will be buying one
Thanx folks
Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Andybg

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2012, 06:23:32 pm »
Here is a ctc post with a pic of the handlebars with mirror:

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=4014