Author Topic: Nomad 565L S+S Couplings  (Read 6795 times)

Tayo

Re: Nomad 565L S+S Couplings
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2023, 11:55:27 am »
Thanks for responding, Hoot.

I've put my thinking cap on.

Would have preferred a CSS rim, but not a deal breaker.

Your Raven sounds interesting. What size is it and what condition would you say it's in?

P.S Do either of the Rohloff hubs have the disc brake mount?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2023, 01:25:51 pm by Tayo »

Tayo

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2023, 10:25:52 am »
Hi Hoot
If it’s convenient for both you and your neighbour I would like to view this coming Sunday afternoon. Can I ask that there are the necessary tools for the eccentric bb and the S+S couplings available too, please. I will send you my contact details via private message.
Thanks

Hoodatder

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2023, 02:09:55 pm »
Afternoon Tayo,

Yes Sunday afternoon is fine.

There are disc brake mounts on the Nomad but not the Raven.

There is the spanner for the eccentric bracket and the s/s couplings

The spec for my Raven:-

Raven Tour 530L
Matt Black
Andra  CSS rims 32h
Sapim Race black stainless steel spokes
Schwalbe Dureme 2” tyres
SKS black mudguards
42t chainring
19t sprocket
170mm  cranks
Shimano A530 double sided pedals
Son dynamo
Edelux black front light
B&M Toplight Plus rear light
Shimano Deore XT brakes and levers
Brooks B17 tan saddle
Thorn Comfort handlebar
Ergon GP/23 cork grips
Cinq 5 Smart power pack
Tubus Evo Logo rear pannier rack
Tubus Tara lowrider front pannier rack
2 x Profile design bottle cages

I will keep my saddle and transfer the the one from the Nomad.

The condition is used but well looked after and not mint as the Nomad is...still a fantastic steed for any long distance haul.

Anymore questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards

Hoot
« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 02:15:29 pm by Hoodatder »

Tayo

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2023, 07:05:05 pm »
Thanks for the info, Hoot.

I've sent a PM requesting your address and contact number.

See you, Sunday.

Hoodatder

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2023, 08:06:23 pm »
Hi Tayo,

Email sent.

Thank you.

Hoot

Tayo

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2023, 08:33:47 pm »
Can a ‘normal’ Rohloff with cables coming from the top be directly exchanged with an Exbox Rohloff with cables coming along the chainstay?

Asking this question on behalf of a shattered Hoot who tells me that Danneaux and some of the more experienced Rohloff users will know.

An interesting Q.

PH

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2023, 08:38:52 pm »
Can a ‘normal’ Rohloff with cables coming from the top be directly exchanged with an Exbox Rohloff with cables coming along the chainstay?
Yes and you can do it yourself if reasonably confident (Or should that be competent)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGNFZjavXcI

This is everything you need apart from the cables:
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hub-spares/rohloff-external-gear-mech-kit-8213/

Is there a reason you'd want to? 
« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 08:41:59 pm by PH »

Tayo

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2023, 09:03:55 pm »

Is there a reason you'd want to? 
Thanks for answering.

Hoot proposed that he could swap his wheels for the ones on the Nomad if I really wanted CSS rims.

Should I buy the Nomad I would fit a rear disc brake before the brake track became too worn and have a front CSS rim on the front when the time came. I'd have rear CSS but SJSC only have a 36 hole rim as far as I can see.

PH

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2023, 09:20:14 pm »
Should I buy the Nomad I would fit a rear disc brake
Is it a disc hub?  It doesn't look it in the photos, though I can't be 100%
That's also changeable, by a Rohloff service centre, though it starts to get expensive. 

Tayo

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2023, 09:43:18 pm »
Should I buy the Nomad I would fit a rear disc brake
Is it a disc hub?  It doesn't look it in the photos, though I can't be 100%

Doesn't look like it has does it but Hoot answered in the affirmative when I asked if it had.

Hoping it has as it'll save me the aggro of a having the rim replaced when the time came.

Guess I'll find out on Sunday.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2023, 10:09:29 pm »
Hoot proposed that he could swap his wheels for the ones on the Nomad if I really wanted CSS rims.

Should I buy the Nomad I would fit a rear disc brake before the brake track became too worn and have a front CSS rim on the front when the time came. I'd have rear CSS but SJSC only have a 36 hole rim as far as I can see.

Tayo, as a data point -- and only that because it is the result of personal preference -- when I got my 2012 Nomad Mk2, I chose conventional Andra 30 rims rather than the CSS ones because I was concerned the super-hard sidewall surfaces might become polished and in time contribute to poor wet weather breaking. That has proven to be the case for some long-term users who have partially or wholly addressed the problem by switching to different brake pads (i.e. Kool-Stop Salmon) as the rims became "slippy".

I had had a similar experience a couple decades earlier with a particularly hard-coated batch of (Trek) Matrix Titan 2 rims. They were great at first but then did their best to imitate chromed-steel rims and it was scary to sail through stop signs at the bottom of hills with the brake levers hard against the handlebars when it was wet. I was able to salvage them by actually milling off the rim sidewalls using a carbide burr. it was a long and arduous process and I ended up using the short words before I finished. ;D

If your choice is between Andra 30s with or without CSS, I can reassure you I have found the plain rim to be very long-lived even when used in adverse conditions. I have them on my Nomad and my Enduro-Allroad bike and the very similar but slightly wider Andra 40 on my tandem. All have seen heavy use in grit and very poor conditions (i.e. wet desert playa which sticks like wet grinding compound) and they show very little wear even after a decade-plus of use. The Andra is a heavy rim in part because of its thick sidewalls which ensure a long lifespan compared to other plain-sided rims.

So, just something to consider as you ponder your options. In my case, if all other things were equal I'd choose the bike with plain, non-CSS rims.

All the best, Dan (...who is excited to think New Bike Day may be coming soon for you if all proves to meet needs)

Hoodatder

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2023, 01:50:18 am »
Thanks Danneaux,

Your cycling experience, mechanical knowledge and plain common sense has saved the day.

I was perhaps being too helpful in wanting to help Tayo by swapping all the goodies from my bike to the Nomad. I think I was definitely digging a grave for myself. No need to - something else is doing that for me  :)

Truthfully, I wouldn’t like to have ‘butchered’ the bikes for someone else as they are both fine machines in their own right. However, I would have done that for myself to satiate my desire to always achieve the optimum.

Thank you one and all

Hoot

Hoodatder

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2023, 09:02:09 am »
I think there is a misunderstanding re the rear disc brake question.

The Nomad has 2 x welded lugs that are tapped on the rear chainstay. My Raven hasn't got these.

Rightly or wrongly I have assumed they were mountings for attaching a disc brake. I didn't realise the hub had to be specified for a retro fit disc brake.

Apologies all round if I have unintentionally given misinformation due to ignorance.

Hoot

Tayo

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2023, 11:58:15 am »

I was perhaps being too helpful in wanting to help Tayo by swapping all the goodies from my bike to the Nomad. I think I was definitely digging a grave for myself. No need to - something else is doing that for me  :)

Truthfully, I wouldn’t like to have ‘butchered’ the bikes for someone else as they are both fine machines in their own right. However, I would have done that for myself to satiate my desire to always achieve the optimum.

Hoot

No need for any butchering on my behalf, Hoot. That would be an awful lot of unnecessary faffage.

Nothing wrong with Deore hubs but if I were in your position I wouldn't be getting rid of a beautifully engineered Son dynamo hub in exchange for one if I was looking to achieve the optimum.

Looking forward to meeting you tomorrow.

mickeg

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2023, 04:23:49 pm »
So, just something to consider as you ponder your options. In my case, if all other things were equal I'd choose the bike with plain, non-CSS rims.

I am a CSS fan, my CSS rims have a braking surface that is slightly polished, but I still have good braking.  My original Koolstop CSS pads are worn down to the point that I would replace them before I go on a trip.

If I was the one shopping and had the CSS option, I would take that option.

That said, I have run tires that range from 40mm to 57mm width on my Nomad.  And for that, an ideal rim inner width would be around 22 to 24 mm and the Andra is narrower than that at 19mm.