Author Topic: A sad passing  (Read 4198 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
A sad passing
« on: December 16, 2023, 06:06:23 pm »
Dear All,

As Forum Adminstrator for over a decade, it has been my great pleasure and privilege to welcome new members to our little community and to become lasting friends with some of you both online and in real life.

It is also my sad duty to let you know one of those members has passed.

My dear friend and longtime Forum member "hoodatder", who I knew as Ian, succumbed today to liver bile duct cancer (Cholangiocarcinoma) nearly two years after receiving his fatal prognosis. He was truly one in a million and it was a great privilege to have known him; I loved him very much as I do all my friends. The world was certainly richer for his presence and feels much emptier now he has gone.

You may remember Ian most recently for handling the sale of his late neighbor's yellow Nomad to a new member equally new to cycle-touring, making a dream come true in the nicest possible way.

Please think of Ian today as you pedal your bike; I'm sure he would appreciate the tribute as that is where he also found lasting joy even during his long battle.

Best, Dan.

julk

Re: A sad passing
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2023, 08:09:45 pm »
Dan,
many thanks for the update, sad news though.
Lets hope we all can leave nice memories behind us when it is our turn to head off to where you pedal in dry warm conditions with a tail wind and slightly downhill, even in winter!
Julian.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2023, 08:10:06 pm »
Thanks Dan.
Well said.

An interesting stat profile. Uk based I believe?
Thoughts to his family - if you have contact.

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2023, 08:52:18 pm »
Thanks, Julian and Matt. Yes, a relative contacted me per Ian's advance wishes. I am getting of an age when many of my friends are passing and I have asked them to have relatives let me know if "something" happens. The nature of online correspondence is often one-to-one and even with continued contact, you sometimes don't know why communication abruptly stops. There have been losses due to accident and illness where I didn't find out till much later...or with sensitivity to family sometimes at all, except for a check of death notices. Thankfully Ian took measures to notify while easing the burden on his survivors in his typically thorough way. I've learned a lesson here myself.

I take care to respect members' privacy here so tend not to use last names unless they did in open correspondence. Since Ian mentioned his location in the bike sale thread, yes he was UK-based, just northeast of the Midlands.

I will make sure his family sees the good wishes left for him. A local memorial will be held after the first of the new year. I'm sure there will be lots to work out.

Best, Dan.

Andre Jute

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2023, 10:25:12 pm »
I remember Ian in his last months doing his neighbour's family a favour by disposing of his bike, and the Israeli chap who got a good bike at a fair price so that his UK holiday was a roaring success, also due to Ian. It's the kind of fellow Ian was. He is deservedly well-remembered, not only for his good deeds but for his notable sense of humour in public and private mail.

Thanks for letting us know, Dan.

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2023, 08:30:42 am »
His humour in the light of his own situation is well-expressed here https://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=14884.msg111958#msg111958 .

Mike Ayling

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2023, 09:51:29 pm »
Always sad to year of people you know passing.
My condolences to his family members.

PH

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2023, 12:31:57 pm »
A moving tribute Dan.  Though I didn't really know Ian, online or IRL, his assistance to flocsy earlier this year is enough to know I'd have liked him if I had.   
Please add my condolences to those already expressed.

John Saxby

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2023, 05:53:31 pm »
Thank you, Dan, for your tribute to Ian.  Let me add my condolences to his family.  And, a thank-you to all who have responded to Ian's passing.  Your words are a reminder of the courtesy and decency so often in evidence on this forum.