Author Topic: how to mount my headlight  (Read 7383 times)

jags

how to mount my headlight
« on: June 30, 2012, 12:04:35 am »
ok so when i buy my new front wheel with son dynamo  8) and my new IQ CYO R headlight 8)

for my Raleigh ,i want to mount the light on the right side of the front fork.
is there a bracket i can get for this ,believe me i looked but not having any joy
in finding one,if possible i want the light to be half way up the fork and 2 ins out.
how lads do i go about this.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: how to mount my headlight
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 12:08:52 am »
i want to mount the light on the right side of the front fork.
Um...why?

Jags, I've found mounting the light there causes the tire to cast a shadow in the beam, leaving some dark spots.

I'm guessing you may not have sufficient clearance to mount the light to the fork crown *and* use the handlebar bag on your Raleigh?

Here is a solution, tailor-made for your needs: http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/light-mounts.asp It is the Chronometro Nob, sold on this page: http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/accessories.asp

Minoura make a very similar item, available from SJS Cycles here: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/minoura-besso-lh-50-bracket-prod22461/  I have the Minoura in a box out in the garage and would send it to you, but I uh, shortened it for a project and it will no longer fit where you need it to.

Paul's make a sleeve that replaces the q/r nut and allows you to mount the light at hub level.  The Nob or the Minoura accessory are what you need for putting the light where you wish, right there on the right side of the fork, about halfway up.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 12:21:50 am by Danneaux »

il padrone

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 12:15:27 am »
The fork crown mount is the best position IMHO for a couple of reasons:

1. Central
2. No distracting wheel shadow
3. Best height to show up road irregularities.

For this the mount that comes with the Cyo is the best available. If clearance from a bar-bag is your problem I could suggest getting a lower crown mount like this:

Or the very nicely designed, adjustable Supernova multi-mount:

Further discussion with a lot of ideas here on Candlepower forums
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 12:30:33 am by il padrone »

jags

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 01:46:11 am »
excellent stuff lads  if i can get it on the front  brake i will just hope the barbag dont get in he way.

thanks lads

Cheers
jags.

E-wan

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 06:30:29 pm »
I'm intrigued by the SON mount you show.  I would like to find a way to mount my Lupinewilma on the fork grown and it looks I might be able to adapt this mount but I can't find any better pictures of it after a quick google search.

Lupine lights just use a big rubber band to mount round the handlebars so I would need to fiond a crown mount that I could adapt to have a short section of tubing of handalbar diamater to wrap the light round.

any ideas.

I curently mount it on the bars but have to put it on my helmet when using a barbag. (underside mount for my caradice barbag is to wobblie for my liking and makes the beam shake.)

Thanks

Ewan

The fork crown mount is the best position IMHO for a couple of reasons:

1. Central
2. No distracting wheel shadow
3. Best height to show up road irregularities.

For this the mount that comes with the Cyo is the best available. If clearance from a bar-bag is your problem I could suggest getting a lower crown mount like this:

Or the very nicely designed, adjustable Supernova multi-mount:

Further discussion with a lot of ideas here on Candlepower forums

Andre Jute

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 06:44:37 pm »
I would like to find a way to mount my Lupinewilma on the fork grown

I can't help you there. I have several of the BUMM/SON and other mounts but I see no way of mounting a piece of handlebar tube, or a lighter plastic pipe, to them.

What I use is this:
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/universal-adjustable-bicycle-mount-for-flashlights-2cm-4cm-diameter-31871?item=2
or, for faster delivery in Europe, this
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/universal-adjustable-bicycle-mount-for-flashlights-2cm-4cm-diameter-844031871

It's quite versatile, though the two sides do not swivel in relation to each other. The problem with the hard plastic swivel versions is that they break; this soft rubber type conforms, damps vibrations and doesn't wreck your bike's paint.

Andre Jute
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 08:11:18 pm by Hobbes »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 07:05:35 pm »
Hi, Ewan!

There are several solutions available to address your problem, and I have done them myself for others.

The first solution is expensive, but looks good:

First, get one of these, a B&M Nylon Linear Pull Brake Mount...
Then, get one of these, a Schmidt handlebar band-mount for oversized handlebars...
Invert the latter in the former, and insert a sawed-off section of PVC pipe into the handlebar clamp on the Schmidt mount. Attach your light (originally intended for handlebar mounting) to the pipe. Done.

Other, DIY solutions can look a bit less professional, but are as functional:

These work in a similar fashion using hose (jubilee) clamps, PVC pipe and a stock crown-mount light bracket. I have made a similar arrangement for someone using a Minoura Besso fork-mount bracket attached on the to nuts stacked inside the opening of a standard crown bracket. The Minoura Besso ( http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/minoura-besso-lh-50-bracket-prod22461/ ) ends up mounting the side of the crown bracket and the light mounts to the Besso as if it was a handlebar. For something as light as a 'bar-mount headlight, PVC and some solvent cement are a match made in heaven for relocating the light elsewhere.

The main thing to keep in mind is try to keep the cylindrical light mount as close to the fork crown as possible and still allow for clearance. This way you avoid unnecessary stress on the brackets and the light will be as stable as possible.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 07:09:13 pm by Danneaux »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 07:18:48 pm »
Ewan,

I just went out to my old parts bin and rummaged around a bit. Found a Frankensteinian solution I'd made some 30 years ago...

I took a conventional dyno-headlight crown mount, as shown here:

I then took an ordinary cylindrical plastic prescription pill bottle of the required handlebar-like diameter, and sawed it off to so its height matched the width of the light's handlebar mounting bracket. I then drilled a single hole in the bottom of the bottle and inserted a bolt through it, and then into the light bracket, filling the space between the crown bracket's "ears" with a nut or two to serve as a spacer. It worked great for a year or so of commuting. No photo of it here, 'cos it has rusted and the bottle is broken from having heavy stuff stacked on it. The description should get you going. Cost was virtually nothing, required only a saw and a drill (though a hot knife could conceivably do both), a bracket, three nuts and a bolt with some washers. I painted the amber-colored pill bottle with aluminum paint and it looked like a "factory" job.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 08:27:18 pm by Danneaux »

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 11:17:01 pm »
Here is a little write-up on one of my lighting hacks:

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/809124-light-at-bottom-of-head-tube

The Paul Components Gino Light Mount could be the bit of "handlebar" you need... maybe it could get bolted to one of those crown mount things.

jags

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 11:52:27 pm »
thanks jimk i use that forum as well thanks good idea.

il padrone

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 12:21:03 am »
Lupine lights just use a big rubber band to mount round the handlebars so I would need to fiond a crown mount that I could adapt to have a short section of tubing of handalbar diamater to wrap the light round.

any ideas.
Your best bet would possibly be to get the B&M fork mount

or the M-wave fork mount (not too sure about the difference here ??)

« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 12:27:16 am by il padrone »

E-wan

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 08:29:10 am »
Thanks for all the suggestions, I think the B&M fork mount looks like the most promising

Ewan

rualexander

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 04:42:20 pm »

B. Neri

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2013, 11:19:21 pm »
Thanks for all the suggestions, I think the B&M fork mount looks like the most promising

Ewan

Yes his suggestions is real good.