Author Topic: tent dilemma  (Read 2472 times)

jags

tent dilemma
« on: May 03, 2012, 11:38:52 am »
Well i just pitched my mountain hardware Spear gt2 in my tiny back yard,
i needed to cut some builders polythene  for a footprint.
now heres the problem i also have the hilleberg Akto great one man tent but i hate the bloody thing its just way to small for my liking, i know i know its a one man tent  and they usually come in small sizes  ;D but the MH tent is so much bigger  a fella could even put his bike inside if he /she so wished but yeah it's about 3 times heaver than the akto :-\
oh what to do should i take it on my upcoming tour of ireland and suffer the extra weight or should i use the head and take the much lighter akto and yeah it's also  much easer to pitch.
what  would you folk do
mountain hardware
or
akto

richie thornger

• Batman to Robben
Re: tent dilemma
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 01:33:41 pm »
Go out for two trips. A one night camp with each tent on the bike with all your gear and see what problems you do or don't have.
SHAKEDOWN SHAKEDOWN SHAKEDOWN!
It's the only way Jags. Nothing compares to actually using the things to test them out properly.
I went on a three month tour from Liverpool to Istanbul to test out all my stuff for my world tour in August.
A bit extreme perhaps, but it certainly let me find out a lot of things about a lot of gear I just wouldn't have known about before I tried.

Failing my excellent advice.

Toss a coin:)
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy

jags

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 01:57:25 pm »
thanks richie, the more i think about it the more i'm going for the akto only because of weight, i'm scraping the footprint  adding yet more weigt to the MH tent bugger that  >:(
i've used both tents quiet a bit they both have there pluses and minuses.
could come to tossing a coin after all  ;D

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 03:57:39 pm »
jags,

I like Richie's advice...hard to beat and something I do myself over and over and....

You know me, I happily sleep in what amounts to a bread wrapper (all tents look the same with your eyes closed, sez Dan), but that isn't for everyone.

Where you're looking to get a good night's sleep, why not go with the most comfortable? You don't want the tour to turn into a Death March because you've been awake half the night. My friend happily hauls his 3+kg, 3-man Tatonka Alaska tent for solo touring as his primary luxury item for just this reason. "Dan," he says, "If I don't sleep, I'm toast". Good point.

You might also consider more than the tent before and during the trip...what about your mattress and pillow?

Starting about two weeks before a tour, I always blocked off my bed so it was the same size as my camping mat, and I also substituted my camp pillow. Did wonders for easing the transition, 'cos Home Bed felt like Camp Bed. Unexpected side-effect: I eventually found the "luxury" version of my pad to be more comfortable than my mattress, so a pair strapped side-by-side became my home mattress. Best sleep I've had in years and I actually wake up rarin' to go and ache-free, just like when I'm on-tour. No transition at all.

Gotta recommend the Nemo Tuo Standard for touring (stack two for ice and snow camping in the open at -15C) and a pair of Nemo Tuo Luxury pads strapped side-by-side on a sheet of 1" plywood and made into a bed with real bed-sheets and blankets as the best bed I've ever had. The Nemo pads have two separate valves and air chambers; the bottom 1/3 is solid and inflated hard to smooth out rugosities, while the top 1/3 is cross-cored and set soft for comfort. Warm and greatly extend the temp rating of a light bag. They inflate flat instead of lens-shaped so no rolling off in the night. I still substitute my camp pillow a week before going on-tour just so I'm used to it.

As yet, there is no Mrs. Danneaux, which makes such things possible.

Nemo Tuo Standard: http://www.nemoequipment.com/nemo2011-tuostandard-pad <-- Heavy at 1kg and worth every gram especially in bitter cold.
Nemo Tuo Luxury: http://www.nemoequipment.com/nemo2011-tuolux-pad
Cocoon HyperLite pillow: http://www.rei.com/product/799192/cocoon-hyperlite-pillow

When on-tour, I "dress" my pad by slipping a jersey over the head end, trapping my pillow between the shirt and the pad; lying on the shirt keeps the pillow nicely in place so it won't keep squirting out from under my head in the night and I reach the pillow and pad air valves through the arm holes of the shirt. Little things like that do wonders for getting to sleep and staying asleep. Never felt lost or alone in the middle of nowhere 'cos when I awakened I was always "home" in my tent or bag, familiar as always despite the new locale.

Best,

Dan.

richie thornger

• Batman to Robben
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 05:14:20 pm »
I have to agree with Dan about luxury items, sleeping beats the tent in my eyes.
My Exped Downmat 9 LX and chair kit weighs more than my tent and is almost as big.
My pillow weighs more than my bag. I use a down jacket in a proper egyptian cotton pillowcase cut down to size.
People laugh at my mattress to tent ratio but I don't care.
Without a good nights sleep the next day is just miserable. Wax ear plugs also help with dogs barking:)
As for tents...back on subject
I think if you are moving on everyday go for the one that is quickest to put up and pull down. If you're staying in places for a few days go for comfort.
As there are no hills in Ireland you won't have to worry about weight;)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 05:17:28 pm »
As there are no hills in Ireland you won't have to worry about weight;)
Run, Richie, run! Those hills mean jags is fit enough to catch ya!

Best,

Dan. (Oh! Forgot the earplugs...they live in the little zippered compartment in the sleeping bag, Richie, along with the eyeshade. Thanks for the reminder!)

jags

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 06:02:14 pm »
thanks lads  emm now i'm thinking take the MH tent it's just that there loads more room which i like
but man it's so much heaver .
Dan my sleeping set up is great exped 7 down matt and thermarest pillow which is great and BIG  ;) the pipedream down bag should be fine this time of year not so good in winter.

Richie your having a laugh No hills in ireland yeah right ;D ;D
mind you compaired to some of the climbs you lot have i guess i shouldn't complain .
still there bloody hard most of the time. :o
anyway thanks lads its looking more like the Mh tent.

richie thornger

• Batman to Robben
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 06:59:49 pm »
Jags I live in Hertfordshire. I go to Holland for hill climbing practice:)
How long have you had your Exped downmat? Mine started to blow the down out when you deflated it, something inside had broken.
It took ages to deflate and it looked like I had plucked a chicken from the farmers stock.
When i got back home Exped sent me out a new one and said this problem had now been fixed.
I've yet to test it so fingers crossed.

jags

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 08:51:31 pm »
Richie never had a problem i even loaned to a fella for a week in france he taught it was the best matt ever  ;) i have it about 4 years bought it for a great price from a lad in the fell club bikepacker.the best bit of camping gear i bought in years is the thermarest  compressable pillow the first night i used it i actually got to sleep nice and comfy.
i heard exped are have a great after sales service no messing around with them if its faulty they change it no hassle.
say richie give us some more info on you world tour man what an adventure fair play to you takes a lot of b...ls to go the distance.