Author Topic: first audax  (Read 1655 times)

strictnaturist

first audax
« on: April 22, 2014, 09:29:19 pm »
Hi everyone.
in a couple of weeks I will be undertaking my first Audax, albeit the shorter version at just over 150km as a charity ride. This takes place in Scotland, running west over Angus and Perthshire and if completed,plus run to pub, will be  my longest day on the bike at 100 miles. I am riding my Sherpa, which currently has 2" Marathon Supremes plus both front and rear racks. I have been very comfortable on the bike for hours, touring across Iceland, Scotland, France and last week, Northern Holland.
My questions to you fine folk-
Do I stick to the 2" Supremes? I have a set of 1.6" sport tyres that came with my wife's' Sport Tour that I can use. Would they make much difference? speed /ease etc.
I find the comfort bars superb. Do I keep them on or switch back to straights ( slightly lower) with bar ends?
I was thinking of taking both racks off to save weight, then I realised tonight that the rear mudguards are in fact attached to the mudguard  :D
Would I notice any difference with both racks off? or even the front rack?
I was planning on fitting everything in to my three bottle cages. Bottle / waterproof / snacks with tools as is in seat bag.

So... Do i just turn up with bike as I have ridden for five years, or adapt with tyres / racks off and straight bars? I imagine everyone else with drop bars and slick tyres.
all the best
Strictnaturist

jags

Re: first audax
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 09:50:19 pm »
just turn up with your bike as is.the supreams are as good as slicks imho..my average speed on a good day  ::)is 14mph no matter what bike im on ,at the end of the day you want comfort so leave it alone and enjoy the ride dont get caught up in fast groups ride your own pace.

have fun check out a few audax rides on utube.

jags.

strictnaturist

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 09:53:13 pm »
cheers for that jags! 

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 10:15:27 pm »
Hi SN!

Good to hear from you again, and all best wishes your way.

If it is any help as a data point, I rode Sherpa as much as 300km/day in sometimes mountainous terrain on 2in Duremes with no problem, and I've been putting in some heavy training on the Nomad, riding it pretty regularly on 200km rides also on 2in Duremes. Both bikes were fully equipped with all needed for expedition touring. With stuff in my rack pack and fullish bottles, the Nomad weighs in ~65lbs/29.5kg (20kg bare).

That said, it is a bit easier to do similar distances on my lighter (14.5kg) touring/rando bike...mostly because it is lighter and I feel its weight less on hills. It is still the bike I prefer when doing the longest distances (300-400km for me).

Much will depend on terrain, wind, and weather..I think those have a greater effect than sheer weight or tires when figuring on a long day ride.

I hope this helps, and all encouragement your way! You'll do fine, I'm sure.

All the best,

Dan.

strictnaturist

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 10:24:53 pm »
Sorted!
with Dan's and Jag's advise, the Sherpa stays as is. racks / supremes/ comfort bars on, all good fun and a wee bit more exercise too.
Will report back to let you know how I get on.
thank you once again.
SN

jags

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 10:44:09 pm »
make a video  of some of the ride ;)

jags.