Author Topic: Iceland Highlands 2010  (Read 2984 times)

mtbconverter

Iceland Highlands 2010
« on: May 01, 2010, 10:27:34 pm »
I am off this summer (booked in Januery so did not know about Volcano) and just want to know of anyone is going and their views on route, tent, food, water...anything thats worrying/confusing/concerning you.

I am going across the highlands but not sure on exact route yet but want to be up there for as much as my trek as possible. I have a 4kg 4-season mountain tent (and thats with light pegs), lots of water bags and a heap of gear.  It will be cold and windy so I didn't trust a lightweight 2/3 season job.

Your views, comments, very welcome
C :)

FLV

Re: Iceland Highlands 2010
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 09:42:45 am »
Icelands a lovely country. I've only been once and it was in winter. It should give a good sense of wilderness out there.
Stocking up on food etc should be fine in the summer, though it can be quite far between opportunities to do so.

It was bloody windy when I went too.

Have Fun  ;D

mtbconverter

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 02:48:03 pm »
What tent did you take?
I have a 45kg 4-season mountain tent and I am trying to convince not to take it because of the weight but no one who has been has told me not to! ??? ???

FLV

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 03:03:03 pm »
I didnt camp so cant help unfortunately.

I'd likely be happy in summer with a 3 season tent so long as it was sturdy.
My main issue with 2-3 season tents is the fly always has quite a large gap to the floor and the wind rushes under and through the mesh...

Magnus

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 08:41:38 pm »
What bike are you bringing for your trip?  You want to make sure your drivetrain is in good shape since there is a lot of black, volcanic sand up there in the highlands and it can wear out your chain and casette in no time.  Same goes for rims; it works like using sandpaper for brake pads, especially if it's wet.

You can get temperatures ranging from -5 to +20 C - in the same day, winds up to 25m/s and horizontal rain.  I've even had rain so bad that it got under the lid of my Ortlieb bar bag and got everything in there wet.

Be careful when crossing clacier-melt rivers as they tend to be brown and full of silt and moving stones.  You can't really see the bottom so it's easy to misstep.

Keep in contact with someone and notify the staff of the various cabins around there, just in case something happens.

If you need anything else, just drop me a line.

Magnus Thor
Iceland

farmer palmer

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 10:58:01 pm »
Icelands a great place! I'm going there 26th may until 7th june cycle touring/camping on my Thorn Sherpa. It's my seventh trip there but my first cycle touring in Iceland(I usually go there by motorcycle/Jeep)

For me the highland roads will still be closed with snow and the area between Selfoss and Vik doesn't look good either at the moment......!

Equipment i'm using is as follows....

Mountain Hardware Sprite 3 season 1 man tent(usually take Vango Force 10 2 man when motorcycling) I usually 'storm peg' the tent with double pegs and use a 'footprint' on the rough ground
Mountain Hardware Lamina 3 season bag and Thermarest sleeping mat
Trangia meths stove(fuel and fuel bottle will be bought in Iceland and left there when i'm finished)
Warm and waterproof cycling and hiking gear including good gloves and a warm hat in bright colours.
I always carry plenty of food and a couple of litres of water for cycling and having a brew but i've used water from several streams without problems.
I carry a small first aid kit and a GPS with my waypoints etc and a cellphone which usually works on the ringroad..

I've always been to Iceland in late may or late october so haven't seen an 'Icelandic summer' but the weather hasn't been too bad, late frosts and snow have made things interesting but not too bad and i'm planning to ride to Eskifjordur to visit friends on this trip so was planning to ride the ringroad. Either that or i'll stay in west Iceland and visit Vestmanneyjar and then go up to Snaefellsnes etc.

farmer palmer
Scotland

mtbconverter

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 08:02:10 am »
Well, Farm-boy, I just hope you can get a flight otu there.  I am wondering whether I will even get there as i looks like worse is to come (watched program on Discovery last night about Kratla which is due to shoot its bolt...).  I am staying well away frpm the south coast if I can help it, shame really as there is some great places there to visit.
I have decided that i am definetaely taking my 4-season job as the wind looks horendous and sleeping out without a tent is just too hardcore for me!

alex_doig

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 09:20:20 pm »
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=RrzKj&doc_id=2410&v=7g&term=alex%20doig&context=allhttp://

Would thoroughly recommend, an amazing place, potential for real adventure not far from the UK, can't wait to go back...I had a Vango Force10 Vortex.  An outer-first tent would make sense here, but it was sturdy enough.  The wind was properly scary, physically blown off the road several times in one day - epic.

Enjoy and send pics.

Alex