Author Topic: I've Been a Bit Busy Lately...  (Read 1903 times)

Slammin Sammy

I've Been a Bit Busy Lately...
« on: August 30, 2014, 09:11:50 am »
I've been away from the forum for awhile (miss you guys!), working with a team on this:

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2523842/hunter-could-be-the-cycling-capital-of-australia/?cs=303

The initiative is getting real traction here locally, and we've even got the NRMA (our version of the UK RAC) supporting the idea! While Melbourne is probably closest, there are no Australian cities with truly safe, European-style, integrated cycleways networks. Our region is ideal for such an investment, as it is a very liveable metro area of about 500,000 people, reasonably gentle terrain, good beaches, lakes, vineyards and other attractions all within a day's ride.

We're trying to take advantage of current political circumstances. The state government (conservative) has recently scored an embarrassing amount of money by long-term sale and lease-back of the Port of Newcastle (the largest coal export facility in the world, along with other goods). Even more recently, they have been disgraced with revelations of multiple local candidates in the 2011 elections having been found to have taken donations from banned donors (property developers, in this case). They are actively seeking ways to ingratiate themselves back into the (traditionally labour) community's good graces, and have actually asked for ideas on how they could do this! We're happy to oblige.  ;)

I'll let you know if and when we pull it off.

BTW, this topic isn't totally unrelated to Thorn - that's me in the photo on Attila the Nomad with the red Ortlieb bag!  :)

jags

Re: I've Been a Bit Busy Lately...
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 10:24:12 am »
Go for it Sam might take 100 years hopefully not but at least you let them know theres better ways to spend money. ;)

jags.

Andre Jute

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 10:49:29 am »
Good luck, Sam.s That could really be something.

in4

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 02:37:31 pm »
The NT and the Darwin region in particular are making headway in this regard. Cycling from the CBD to rural properties is easy, partly down to the recomissioning of the old Commonwealth Railway. Its a great ride that takes in urban, rural and bush elements. Tough in the wet season humidity but a real joy in the dry. Its got Thorn Mercury written all over it. Good onya Sammy!

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 04:44:51 pm »
The NT and the Darwin region in particular are making headway in this regard. Cycling from the CBD to rural properties is easy, partly down to the recomissioning of the old Commonwealth Railway. Its a great ride that takes in urban, rural and bush elements. Tough in the wet season humidity but a real joy in the dry. Its got Thorn Mercury written all over it. Good onya Sammy!

Thanks mate! I'll have to try that one some day. How long is it?

We're also hopeful we will soon break the deadlock over converting decommissioned railway lines to rail trails here in New South Wales. Within the same 5 year timeframe, we hope to have between four and six of these in operation, including the 45km Richmond Vale line from Newcastle to (ultimately) the vineyards in Pokolbin.

These are good times to be advocating cycling alternatives for transport. High fuel costs and high cap ex costs for road and rail are pushing many communities inexorably closer to cycling infrastructure to keep things moving!

il padrone

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 12:25:09 am »
Don't forget that rail (where it serves a need and is viable) works eminently well in conjunction with bikes to expand the reach of both modes. Something you really need to convince the NSW rail authorities of.