Author Topic: Adding Disc Brakes to a Nomad Mk2  (Read 7241 times)

George Hetrick

• retired software engineer in Austin, TX, USA
Re: Adding Disc Brakes to a Nomad Mk2
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2014, 12:38:14 am »
Hope Brakes/Thorn Rack:
I would prefer to use the Evo M4 4 piston option if there is clearance. If not the X2 should suffice but 4 pistons would add more braking power under a touring load.

Can anyone give a definite yes/no answer regarding Thorn rack clearance and a 4 piston Hope caliper? (Race Evo M4)

George Hetrick

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2014, 01:46:31 am »
The above was actually entered by the head mechanic at my bike shop. I figured if I took notes and used them to create a reply, I might miscopy something, so I just had him be me. Hopefully Dave will see it in the morning, and I'll be all set.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2014, 02:11:35 am »
Fingers crossed for a good outcome for you, George. It would be nice to see the project through if possible so you can enjoy your Thorn racks and a rear disc as you'd like.

May I ask why you chose to go with a rear disc instead of v-brakes for the dirt-road tours? Was it to ensure good braking in possibly wet, muddy conditions? Or to match the one on the sus-fork?

I'm thinking if worse comes to worst, you could always revert to the v-brake at the rear and perhaps fit Kool-Stop salmon brake pads, or Swiss-Stops if you have CSS rims, keeping the sus-fork and disc up front.

Best,

Dan.

George Hetrick

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2014, 02:15:46 am »
Hey, Dan!

I think I mainly wanted to have the same brakes front/rear, but did want to go disc, just for the bad weather braking bonus. I have discs on my recumbent and really enjoy them. I feel like I'm finally joining the up-to-date club  ;D

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2014, 02:48:38 am »
Sure! I understand, George. It's always nice to try new things, too. Sometimes they work out better, sometimes not, but it is fun to give 'em a go. I don't have a bike with discs myself, but I'm interested in the concept and would love to give them a test-ride someday.

All the best,

Dan.

il padrone

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2014, 07:33:03 am »
I think you'll find that nearly any brand of hydraulic brakes will work with a standard rack and mount. Mate of mine has some Hayes hydros and a Tubus Cargo fitted very happily to his MTB frame, and to an expidition touring frame (Bobo Bikes in Sydney). You definitely do not want to have a large spacer for the rack. The leverage on it WILL break the rack bolts under load and rough roads.

Here is my mate's Bobo with the Tubus Cargo.

Big Al

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2014, 09:08:10 pm »
Have you considered keeping the existing brake that you have fitted and changing the rack to something like the Tubus Disco which has a curved lower fixing bracket designed to fit round the brake caliper. It could be a cheaper option if you are not able to exchange the brakes.