Author Topic: Mullet nomad mk 2 (26" rear -- 27.5" front)  (Read 35 times)

E-wan

Mullet nomad mk 2 (26" rear -- 27.5" front)
« on: May 07, 2024, 08:14:17 pm »
I have a Mk 2 nomad where I have replaced the standard fork with a fork design for a Mk3 Nomad

the new fork is about 15 mm shorter crown to axel length which, when used with two 26 inch wheels Will give a slightly steeper head tube and see tube angle than the originally intended geometry.

As the mk3 nomad fork is designed to also accept 27.5" wheels, I am considering mulleting the mk 2 nomad

Mullet bikes for those not familiar, have a larger front wheel than rear wheel
typically 29 inch front and 27.5 rear
although plenty of people have tried it with 27.5 front and 26 rear.

Given that the new fork has a shorter crown to axle length, it shouldn't have as much impact on the geometry as it would to do this with a different frame.
(Ever so, slightly slacker head tube and see tube angle than originally intended)

Has anyone tried this yet with the mk2 nomad?

I'm running 2.5 inch Surley extra teresterial tyres.

I have a few spare front wheels, so I'm planning to try both of 26 inch and 27.5 inch front wheel with the same tyre for initial comparison.

If it works, I could always use a slightly wider tire at the front and it opens up options to the wider range of tyres available in 27.5.

Ewan

PH

Re: Mullet nomad mk 2 (26" rear -- 27.5" front)
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2024, 09:42:25 pm »
If you have the wheels there's no harm in experimenting and seeing what works for you.  It isn't a lot of difference, less than a degree, I'm skeptical I'd notice it on the steering and it would mean getting the saddle back 5mm to compensate if that bothered you.  You could make the difference up with tyre sizes, 0.5" smaller on the front would do it.
Even for the current Nomad the supplied forks come in a variety of lengths, 20mm difference between the longest and shortest from memory.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2024, 09:45:26 pm by PH »