Author Topic: Adjust EBB or re-insert link  (Read 2570 times)

in4

Adjust EBB or re-insert link
« on: October 26, 2022, 06:48:21 pm »
40watt moment alert! Putting a new chain on my Nomad I accidentally took one too many links out of the chain. Is it better to put the link back in ( perhaps another quick link) or adjust the EBB.
Thanks

UKTony

Re: Adjust EBB or re-insert link
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2022, 07:27:16 pm »
If it was me I’d replace it. The throw on the EBB probably isn’t a lot more than one link so if you don’t replace it the amount of adjustment for future chain wear is going to be significantly reduced.

mickeg

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2022, 08:11:53 pm »
If you can put one outer link on without too much difficulty, I would do that.  Otherwise a second quick link if you have another one handy.

Or, you could go out and buy a new chainring that has four less teeth <joking>.

PH

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2022, 09:14:49 pm »
If the shortened chain fits, without being too tight, then surely that is the correct length. The throw of an EBB is maximised by fitting the shortest chain possible so you have more adjustment as the chain elongates.  I'm not sure what UKTony is saying, a longer chain has less adjustment!

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2022, 09:52:20 pm »
Not forgetting Thorn's guidance on chain tension (page 12 of http://www.sjscycles.com/thornpdf/ThornBikeOwnerManual2Web.pdf ).

steve216c

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2022, 08:47:52 am »
Agree with PH. If the chain fits with EBB without being over tight, then you are probably on the right chain length.
Did you count the links on n your old chain or just measure the length against new chain? An old chain can be have stretched to suggest it was a couple of links longer if comparing length before fitting.

Additionally, at shortest/closest EBB to sprocket setting to begin with you will have more room to adjust as the chain stretches without finding you need to remove links down line due once EBB position is maxed out.
If only my bike shed were bigger on the inside...

in4

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2022, 10:33:48 am »
Thanks guys. The chain was stretched so needed changing. I counted the number of links and had the old chain lying next to the new chain as I did so.

Anyway, I'll attempt to re-fit another link or just another quick link. I'll fit a new chain and keep the other as a spare.

Just annoying when the dork moment arrives lol

Appreciated, inc humorous comments. Belt drive anyone?

JohnR

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2022, 05:47:46 pm »
Belt drive anyone?
I've been there and discovered that belts don't like dirt. I used a belt one winter and spent hours searching for the source of creaking noises. The noises disappeared when I finally gave the belt a good scrubbing. Another disadvantage of belts is the expense associated with changing the gearing ratio. I've converged on using a single speed chain (KMC Z1 narrow chains are cheap protected by a Chainglider.

Prince of Darkness

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2022, 01:15:41 pm »
As has been said by others, if the chain fits with EBB adjustment, then there is no point lengthening the chain.

in4

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2022, 07:27:33 pm »
Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated. With a little wriggling I’ve fitted the chain avec quick link OK. It might be a tad tight so, referencing the Thorn Owners manual, a small loosening via the EBB might be appropriate.