Community > Non-Thorn Related

New Bike Dilemma

<< < (2/3) > >>

Pavel:
I only have one comment to make and that is on the 20" wheel bike - well not the wheels themselves but what I've experienced with the designs put into small wheel bikes.  As I've encountered it, 20" wheeled models come in two flavors. There is the Moulton and everything else.  The moulton has suspension and I found it to be supremely comfortable. It was "compliant", that's the best word I can come up with, in the same way a supple 2" wide tire is compared to a rock hard 25mm racing setup. 

The rest of that sort of bike are designed for portability and ease of folding. The Moulton folds up (mine did anyways) but it is such a pain to do, that I'd think people would only suffer the routine when flying, not day in and day out when entering and leaving an apartment.

When I rode a Bike Friday, and one other brand (can't remember who made it) I was stunned how different they rode.  It was nothing like the Moulton in feel, but rather just the opposite. It was a ride that I felt one had to endure by contrast.

I'm not plugging the virtues of a Moulton - I got rid of mine because of the too quick handling. It's virtues are a cushy comfortable ride, amazing acceleration and very responsive steering.  The Nomad with the right tires gets close enough to the comfort of my old moulton but has all the other virtues that I seek in a bike, so I found that the moulton wasn't for me.

But that is just a roundabout way of saying that there is a great likelihood that you are riding a bike with opposite virtues that you would now be happy with.  A change to a bike which allows  wide 650B's or 700's could be all the change you now need.  I've only ridden a bike designed for bikepacking once - and though the bike was so heavy that any less weight by shedding panniers was a complete illusion.  Perhaps they are great on grass and in mud, but on the road the 29+ even with relatively thin tires (I'd guess about 2.15 wide) the bike was ponderous and slow on pavement.  No wonder you don't see them on Audax rides ever.

That is the thing that I feel you may need.  An Audax bike.  Lithesome, able to carry a larger load still than can be done with a bikepacking setup and there is nothing to stop you from going minimalist andputting  bikebags on it - well except a few odd looks perhaps from those more in line with trends than I.  :)  You really seem like the perfect candidate for an Audax bike as far as I see it. Comfortable, fast and able to carry moderate to low loads.  Their only downside is riding on sand, grass,  snow or other such conditions and the inability to take two kitchen sinks. 

I recommend taking out you credit card - right away.  :)

IronMac:

--- Quote from: Danneaux on June 11, 2017, 02:38:01 pm ---Hi 'Mac!

I can surely offer my empathy to your wife and yourself in dealing with her ill health. I once had a fatal prognosis of my own and bad as it was, it was far more difficult when beloved family members' health went bad. Really hard, so all support! You're doing well to cycle as you are, given the constraints.

Yes, I can better see your bicycle issues now and your geographic location makes it easier to better understand your travel and cycling goals. Perhaps we can find a solution for your needs.

If air travel will be a regular component in your brief tours, then S&S couplings could save you money when flying with a bike larger than your present Folder. A dynohub will again be essential for your nighttime rides between tours. Faster tires for sure....

I own a couple of small-wheel bicycles and have found while they fill a very useful niche, tire choice is very important and seems to make an even bigger difference than on my bikes with larger diameter wheels.

If possible, the easiest way to cut weight while touring is to go the credit-card route, buying meals and staying in lodging instead of cooking and camping. This can range from very expensive to remarkably cheap depending on exchange rates and locale. Another way, of course, is to go truly ultralight and it sounds like you're headed that direction with thoughts on ditching panniers in favor of lighter bikepacking bags and of course lightweight tent, cooking gear, bedding, and the lightest of everything.

Yes, with your current bike is facing a host of issues, it may well be time to look at starting fresh compared to pumping more money into comprehensive repairs.

Best,

Dan.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Dan! My wife's ailment(s) are not terminal but chronic and will worsen over time. I can say all I want about air travel but that's really a pipe dream I think. I couldn't even see my father before he passed away in April and decided that the funeral was not worth the travel time.

Still will seriously consider S&S couplers if only because one spends less time trying to find a cardboard box. Idea is to get in and get out with the least amount of hassle.

Looks like bikepacking is the best option now.

Thanks again for your insights and hope your own health improves. 

IronMac:

--- Quote from: pavel on June 11, 2017, 04:46:48 pm ---There is the Moulton and everything else. 

When I rode a Bike Friday,

That is the thing that I feel you may need.  An Audax bike.  Lithesome, able to carry a larger load still than can be done with a bikepacking setup and there is nothing to stop you from going minimalist andputting  bikebags on it - well except a few odd looks perhaps from those more in line with trends than I.  :)  You really seem like the perfect candidate for an Audax bike as far as I see it. Comfortable, fast and able to carry moderate to low loads.  Their only downside is riding on sand, grass,  snow or other such conditions and the inability to take two kitchen sinks. 

I recommend taking out you credit card - right away.  :)

--- End quote ---

I ride a Bike Friday NWT. Loved hearing your perspective on the Moulton because I did consider that a few years back.

Audax: yeah, everything is pointing that way. I love touring bikes; being able to go for weeks on end with whatever you need on hand. Going minimalist is a bit scary! It just seems to be a bit more on the end. LOL!

mickeg:

--- Quote from: IronMac on June 18, 2017, 10:07:31 am ---...
Still will seriously consider S&S couplers if only because one spends less time trying to find a cardboard box. Idea is to get in and get out with the least amount of hassle.

--- End quote ---

My Nomad Mk II has S&S couplers.  Takes me a couple hours to disassemble and a couple more hours to reassemble the bike on the other end.

I use the S&S backpack case.  And I have to worry about finding a place to store it

The 26 inch wheels pack easier than 700c due to their size.

One significant advantage of S&S in my opinion is that none of the taxi companies in my community have a vehicle big enough to carry a bike in a bike box.  But, i can put the S&S case in the trunk (or boot) of the taxi.  Thus, getting to and from the airport is much easier with S&S.

A luggage scale is your best friend.  I shifted a few things around to just barely make my weight limit in each bag. 

First photo, my stuff for a month in Iceland last summer.  They yellow bag and handlebar bag were my carry ons, along with wearing the helmet onto the plane to avoid packing it somewhere.  The black bag is the S&S case which was checked along with the other large bag.

Second photo, most of the bike in the case, but the photo was taken before I added center supports to keep the airline handlers from crushing the stuff in the middle of the bag.  I could not fit fenders (mudguards), they stayed home and the rack and a few other parts were in the other checked bag.  At the last minute while packing I discovered that my rack did not fit in the bag I planned to put it in but fortunately I had that green bag and found that the rack fit fine in that so I could easily adjust my plans for luggage.

I am not trying to talk you out of S&S, I am just trying to add some reality.  If you have the time to deal with disassembly and assembly and you do not mind using a wrench, it works out.  But I would be hesitant to spend that much time for a bike trip that is only half a week long.  You might be better off renting a bike where ever you go instead.  Or a folding bike that packs faster.

energyman:
My (Splitable) Moulton is the most comfortable bike to ride and boy can you load it up !

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version