Author Topic: Anyone know the story behind these photos?  (Read 2079 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Anyone know the story behind these photos?
« on: March 29, 2015, 03:52:35 am »
Hi All!

A little help, please, in solving a small cycling mystery...

Some time ago, I came across some remarkable photos of cyclists climbing mountains and hauling bicycles with them. I can't find a photographic attribution, and the images seem to have "gone wild" on the 'Net; I snagged the examples below from a French fixed-gear forum post where they were also "passed along" without attribution. Further searches and inquiries have proved fruitless.

After a lot of research, I found they were taken in the Puy de Dome region of Massif Central in south-central France ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puy_de_D%C3%B4me ).

They appear vintage at first glance but looking more closely, they could be modern photographs aged to look old. The bikes and clothing are authentic to an earlier era, but something seems not.quite.right about them. If they are truly as old as they appear, then the information and credits may be lost to antiquity.

Posed hoax or vintage reality?

Does anyone have more information about these photographs, perhaps with a photographer to credit and something about the events of the day?

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 08:34:07 am by Danneaux »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Anyone know the story behind these photos?
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 04:59:54 pm »
Yep; that's them, John. I have seen them there as well, but still no attribution or "story" behind. I notice the Rene Herse tribute page (the first link to come up on the search you referenced) lists them among "period photos", so that puts the "imprimatur of Old" upon them -- I think.

Ooh! I love a good cycling mystery!  :D

All the best,

Dan.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 05:07:54 pm »
I do think you may have provided a key, John...I notice on that same Herse tribute page, these photos are labeled "Cyclo Muletiers" -- Cycle mules. This seems to be an extreme French version of UK "Rough-stuff" riding, and I'm honing in on some stories that are very similar to the ones portrayed graphically in these photos.

Many thanks!

Best,

Dan. (...who is now on the hunt with a Clue)

AndyE

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 07:49:57 pm »
Three things that strike me as been odd with these photos Dan

1/ Why are the frames of the prints the same tone as the photo?. That could be a French thing in the developing the prints, but they are usually white. Sepia prints don't usually have a framed boarder. :-\

2/ The bandanna to me looks out of place for this era.

3/ The last photo, the stone structure looks too modern.

Of course I could just be an old Cynic .

Andy

PS.  The beret also seems a little convenient too! a bit French to be French if that makes any sense.  

« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 08:19:08 pm by AndyE »
Doncaster in deepest South of Yorkshire

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 11:14:04 pm »
Hi Andy!

The very same things that set off your radar also triggered mine!

Ooh, I smell a re-enactment! Even so, it looks like a fun time for the participants and it certainly has been for me also.

All the best,

Dan.