Author Topic: Forum back  (Read 5517 times)

Matt2matt2002

Forum back
« on: August 10, 2015, 10:16:27 am »
I know its back. I'm here!

But when I do a search on Chrome for Thorn bike forum, I get a page up saying under repair, or something.

I then hit the Facebook button and get a link to hit to arrive here.

Very strange.

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Forum back
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 02:30:06 pm »
That is strange, Matt. I would suggest deleting your old bookmark and making a new one in Chrome to get you here directly. Same for the Facebook bookmark.

All the best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 12:23:31 pm »
test 8)

jags

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 12:27:41 pm »
i was trying my luck posting this photo didnt do a great job.
anyway its my house guest from the uk enjoying the lovely  sunshine we had ,feckin raining today typical irish weather blink and the summer is over.

Andre Jute

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 04:09:47 pm »
Shows right side up in the picon on my screen and in Preview and Graphicconverter. It's just you, Anto. Heard of the Black Thumb that kills plants? Some people have Electrostatic Thumb that interferes with electronics... Highly prized among the barbarian Luddites of Lancashire, I heard.

Super photo.

jags

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 04:36:38 pm »
im useless. :'(
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 04:40:18 pm by jags »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 05:19:40 pm »
You did really well to to upload the photo as an attachment, Anto; you're nearly there -- you've got all the basics down.

Now, just rotate the photo in your phone and perhaps resize it a little and you're done.

All the best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 05:21:57 pm »
i lost the startling handle Dan so guess u guys will have to turn computer sideways.
sorry :o

anto.

Andre Jute

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 01:14:00 am »
Thing is, Anto did get it right, Dan, as far as he could see. On my screen his image is sideways when in the forum. But when downloaded — and not rotated by me — it show sright way up. So something happened on the way to, or at, Thorn HQ. Jags' piccies are getting to be a hopeful case: there are only two further ways for Anto to try before sod's law runs out of options and gives over.

David Simpson

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 01:20:54 am »
JPEG photo files contain information about the orientation of the photo. This information is put into the file by the camera, since the camera can tell which way it is oriented (horizontal vs vertical). Some, but not all, viewing programs will use this information to automatically rotate the image so that it has the correct orientation. However, web browsers most likely do not automatically rotate the image. That's why it looks correct to Anto and Andre when they look at the file on their computers, but looks sideways when we all view it in the forum page.

I believe the only solution is to rotate and save the picture before uploading to the forum, so that it doesn't need any auto-rotation.

For more info, see here: http://www.impulseadventure.com/photo/exif-orientation.html

- Dave

Andre Jute

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2015, 02:43:44 am »
Do you intend to say that Anto should rotate his photos in any event, even if he rotates them 360 degrees, just to stop the system doing this to him?

I shan't be able to help with the testing, because I've never had a problem, and suspect my Mac takes care of it automatically (Fat side is the bottom...)

However, I have noticed that the iPhone doesn't play nicely with my longtime favorourite quick image manipulator, Graphicworks, often causing one or more irritating extra steps. And whatever an iPhone does wrong, that's the first "feature" of which Google makes a faithful Chinese copy for Android. I'm actually surprised we don't have more bother.

David Simpson

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2015, 04:50:41 am »
If Anto opened the picture on his computer, then saved it as a new file (using "Save As", instead of "Save"), then the new file should have the correct orientation. He should then upload the new file to this forum.

Also, while you are saving the picture to a new file, you can give the new file a meaningful name, instead of using the auto-generated name that the camera produces.

I don't know for sure if that will work, but my guess is that it would. I'll give it a try when I get a chance.

(Sorry to pick on you, Anto. You're not the only one that has encountered this problem.)

- Dave

edit: I just realized that I hadn't answered your question.
Do you intend to say that Anto should rotate his photos in any event, even if he rotates them 360 degrees, just to stop the system doing this to him?
Yes, that is probably a good idea. If you don't want to save the picture to a new file, but save it back to the same file, you probably need to do something to the picture; otherwise the viewing program won't see the point in saving it back. Rotating the picture 360 degrees should work. Or rotating it left 90 degrees, then back right 90 degrees.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 04:54:19 am by davidjsimpson »

Andre Jute

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2015, 03:31:45 pm »
Once you lay it out like that, Dave, it becomes pretty clear why I don't have problems: good practice, in that I routinely resave, crop, color correct and scale the image to my preferred size and format (generally the golden ratio with the wide edge 600 pix or less), then rename it. I just hadn't realized it is necessary.

jags

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2015, 04:29:36 pm »
Nah couldn't be bother lads it's too much hassle. :o