Community > Muppets Threads! (And Anything Else)

Your prognostications for Future Adventure Cycling, Bikes, Components

<< < (2/2)

Danneaux:
Andy, Jim --

Great points about the increasing convergence of utility and touring cycling.  Just look at the number of riders now touring on ExtraCycle-style utility bikes.  That was unheard of just a few years ago, and now they are out in the field, though still uncommon due to greater weight and longer wheelbase limiting ground clearance and air transport on transit legs.  Trailers are now a well-established means for carrying cargo; look at the ExtraWheel and BOB offerings.  Now, I am noticing an increase in electrical power-assist for utility bikes (sometimes referred to as Pedalecs).  Might a future tourist actually plug-in at a night's lodging, then save that electrical power for a welcome boost during the next day's climb?  I can think of a time or two when I wished for a little extra help to magically appear halfway up a 14% grade.  Go with lightweight Lithium-polymer batteries and it begins to seem more viable to lug batteries when they aren't needed or between charging opportunities.  

Great point about the Land Rovers and aging/serviceable technology, Andy.  When I worked on cars for money, I specialized in engine-management systems.  The achilles heel of aging electronic-heavy vehicles was ground-faults due to corrosion of terminal connections.  With no proper ground-return, electronic sensors would often go awry and cause all sorts of drivability issues.  It got better with the advent of OBD-II and scanners, but ground-isolation is still a major issue in engine management as electronics age in dirty, overheated, wet, high-vibration environments similar to what an adventure cycle-tourist might encounter.  The electrical terminals may be well sealed, but when a sensor grounds through its case, bolts corrode.  Any cyclist with a single-wire bottle-generator can relate.

With regard to adventure cyclists, there comes a question of appropriate technology.  Isolated from a ready source of replacement parts or the technology that allows service, simple, field-serviceable parts are more attractive, particularly if one also has to lug the tools to fix them, or has to beg them from a nearby farmhouse.  Large clearances and fault-tolerant low-tech parts are easier to sustain and are more reliable, albeit cruder and often heavier.

Best,

Dan.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version