Author Topic: Headset binding  (Read 2432 times)

E-wan

Headset binding
« on: February 27, 2013, 01:29:58 pm »
hi I have a nomad mk ii and have recently noticed that the headset has started to bind (become progressively tighter as the handlebars are turned).  The steering still works fine in most situations, and I can rotate the handlebars approximately 30° to the right or 30° to the left without any difficulty.  If I try and turn the bars further beyond this point I noticed the steering starting to stick and become tighter.

I've had the bike just over a year and have not yet serviced the headset i feel that this binding was slightly unusual so wanted to check if there's anything else that could be before just overhauling regreasing the headset or replacing headset bearings.

I've ales emailed thorn to ask the same thing, so will see what they say.

Also, I have an Fsa Cartridge bearing headset but wondered if anyone makes higher quality aftermarket replacement bearings that could be fitted to this. 

Thanks

Ewan

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: Headset binding
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 01:49:14 pm »
What if you just loosen the stem cap a bit, reduce the compression on the bearings? Maybe it tightened up somehow. 

jags

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 03:24:46 pm »
are you sure the bearings are not knackered i have the same headset i think  never had an issue with it but thats no help to you  ::)
did you take the headset completly out if so make sure you put the bearings in the proper way btw i'm sure there sealed bearings cages so just grease the where they sit in the headtube  .
maybe dan would be better giving you advice i can fit and fix my own but useless on the  how to do it bit sorry.

NZPeterG

• It's Great to Be Alive! Again! Go Cycle. . . . . .
    • Kiwi Pete's Cycling Safari
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 04:50:06 pm »
Sounds like you may have a pair of Bend Forks? .
Or has the Headset been not adjusted from the start! Damageing your bearings?

Pete . . . .

The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common[

http://kiwipetesadventures.tumblr.com/

http://kiwipetescyclingsafari.blogspot.co.nz/

Looked after by Chris @ http://www.puresports.co.nz/
For all your Rohloff and Thorn Bicycle's in NZ

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 05:27:43 pm »
Hi Ewan!

Sorry to hear of your headset binding; that's no good!

I wonder of the lower seal might have come unshipped and is perhaps binding at the extremes. It does seem the FSA lower seals vary a bit in how tightly they fit, and it can be easy to have one come loose and wad up a bit if it doesn't go in quite straight, so I would check that outdoors or with a bright torch so you can easily pick out the black seal and see what's going on.

This next suggestion is "out there" a bit, but since it has happened to me in the past, I thought I'd suggest it:  By any chance, is it a cable or some accessory binding, rather than the headset? Sometimes, a cable will catch unseen at the limits and cause a similar problem.

If nothing else, I would suggest removing the bearings and checking them by hand to see if they bind throughout their range of travel. If they do, sometimes setting them in 90° or 180° different from their original seating will extend their lives a bit.

You may wish to check your assembly against this: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/FAQ/FSA.pdf

If you find yourself in need of replacements, FSA make them available, but I found (here on the Yew Essay version of eBay) it was far cheaper to simply purchase another complete headset. I did that and put the bearings away as spares against the day I'd need them. As I recall, I paid only USD$24 for the lot.

I hope something here helps, with others' suggestions. Please let us know what SJSC say, and how it all comes out.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 05:30:13 pm by Danneaux »