Author Topic: Thorn Nomad For Sale ***SOLD***  (Read 3327 times)

ThousandYardStare

Thorn Nomad For Sale ***SOLD***
« on: January 19, 2011, 05:16:26 pm »
Thorn Nomad for sale in excellent condition.   ***Now SOLD- Thanks for all the interest. I'm now Thornless  :(***

Bought new by the previous owner in 2007, who rode only 1500 miles on it and clearly looked after it extremely well.
I bought it only last month for my forthcoming world tour, but due to some work falling through I'm left short of funds, and sadly need to choose between the new bike and the trip (the trip wins, naturally!).

----------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the specs:

Frame: Reynolds 725 chromoly steel frame, powder coated in 'British racing green' - a very smart, durable finish, with no more than a couple of very small surface scratches.

Mudguards: full-length MKS

Drivetrain: Shimano XT rear/ Ultegra front derralieurs, XT cassette, Deore triple chain rings. Ultegra STI levers.

Wheels: 26", XT hubs, 36-hole Sun CR18 rims. Built by Thorn's master wheel builder.

Rear rack: Thorn Expedition (toughest rack around)

Brakes: Avid Shorty 6

Headset: FSA Orbit XLII

Seat post: Thorn

Stem: Choice of Thorn 80mm or 120mm

Saddle: Either a Selle Italia FLX or a San Marco Rolls (Both really comfortable- I haven't decided which one to keep yet)

Tyres: Panaracer Ribmo (possibly the worst acronym ever invented, but decent tyres)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The current set-up is with drop bars, but could be converted to a flat bar easily enough if you preferred. The Ultegra STI levers alone cost £200 new, and fetch around £125 on ebay, which would just about cover the cost of the changeover.

I'm not positive about the official Thorn frame size, but it would seem to correspond to something like a 560.
It should suit someone between approx 5'11 and 6'3 with the drop bars; a bit shorter if you switch to a flat/ riser bar.

Some measurements:

Seat tube centre to top actual measurement: 53cm, virtual measurement: 56cm
Top tube centre to centre: 56cm
Standover height: approx. 79cm (31")

So here's a chance to get hold of a gorgeous bike in wonderful condition, greatly discounted from a comparable new Thorn (a new Sherpa specced to this level would cost in excess of £1500).

Ready for a world tour, or as a rock-solid commuter.

I can arrange a courier for approximately £30 within the UK, or you can collect from the South Gloucestershire/ Bristol area.
Viewings welcome.

Selling for £950.

Feel free to E-mail me at aroundtheworldin80years ((at)) yahoo.co.uk for further details.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 05:25:37 pm by ThousandYardStare »

Grey Arete

Re: Thorn Nomad For Sale
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 07:14:33 pm »
Thousandyardstare,

Is the bike still open to offers?

If so please email pcatbry@btinternet.com

Cheers,

Grey Arete

ThousandYardStare

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 01:34:46 am »
I've been prolonging the agony a bit, but the bike's definitely got to go now :'(. I've sent you an e-mail.

Cheers! TYS

ohartas

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 07:51:19 am »
Hi very intrested but would like to try riding it first where are you based? I am in Manchester or Derby. ohartas@hotmail.com