Author Topic: Two New Sherpas  (Read 2023 times)

sdg_77

• Hadrian's Wall and a Half
Two New Sherpas
« on: February 13, 2012, 09:33:12 pm »
Not exactly the best time to buy new bikes but we're intending to ride the Hardian's Cycleway in the summer and decided to go with two real tourers rather than stick with the modified MTB and Hybrid we have been using

First proper ride this weekend just gone ... very impressed so far ... much quicker unloaded than we were expecting.  We live in Warwickshire so not too many real hills to try out the gears etc,  and the canal towpaths were icy so no real off-road yet.

The photo was taken not long after collecting them on Feb 3rd.  That's Sand Point near Weston SUper Mare in the background and it was quite cold ... or at least that's my excuse for the sloping hoizon.

regards
sdg.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Two New Sherpas
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 10:09:27 pm »
Well!  Warm congratulations, Steve, on a beautiful pair of new steeds! Lovely photo.

much quicker unloaded than we were expecting
My experience exactly! I think you'll find them surprisingly capable and pleasant all-'rounders as well as heavy-tourers.

Enjoy, and please let us see more with some gallery pics of the bikes in further action and your forthcoming Hadrian's Cycleway trip. Can't wait to see these in action!

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 05:50:58 pm by Danneaux »

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 10:12:34 pm »
Two is a very nice number of Sherpas! And what spectacular country to ride through! You're properly set up for some grand shared adventure.

What kind of tires do you have? Seems to make a big difference in how a bike feels.

jags

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 10:52:02 pm »
great photo, wow these sherpas are getting very popular

sdg_77

• Hadrian's Wall and a Half
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 10:21:27 am »
Thanks All

Jim - the tyres are Tourguard 1.75 folding,  we mostly took the advice from Thorn on components etc. 

Apart from Sunday Morning runs I guess our first proper trip will be a short train ride to somewhere around Oxford with an overnight somewhere on the way back to Leamington.  In the past we have done mostly day tours from campsites in The Netherlands and Suffolk.  Last year we did an organised route around Brittany (Breton Bikes) which convinced us these were the right style of bikes for what we want to do.  For the summer we're aiming to to take the train up to Newcastle,  cycle across the Hadrian's Wall route to Ravenglass and then back through the Lakes to Penrith for a train home.  Perhaps look further afield for next year,  France, Germany, Spain ... New Zealand  :)

sdg

Relayer

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 01:13:00 pm »
Very nice bikes sdg, as they say - the world's your oyster now   ;D