Author Topic: WMA to MP3  (Read 2230 times)

Matt2matt2002

WMA to MP3
« on: March 07, 2023, 12:21:31 pm »
I have a couple of music files in WMA format that I need to convert to MP3.

I've looked at free software and they all have some kind of catch - wanting me to make their software my browser or only converting half the file for example.

I used NCH a few months ago but my 7 day free access has expired.

I know they have to make a living and I'd usually pay for access but since I only have a very few files to convert, I'm looking for a free one with no hidden catches.
Am I asking too much?

Any help appreciated

Best
Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

in4

Re: WMA to MP3
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2023, 12:38:31 pm »
I think a programme called audacity might work. It was free I recall and I think you can import files in numerous formats and export as MP3. Might help.

Chris2020

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2023, 03:33:08 pm »
Audacity will do that. I also find vlc media player does the job nicely too https://vlchelp.com/convert-audio-format/

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2023, 04:59:53 pm »
Thanks folks.
Interesting links.

Best

Matt

Andre Jute

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2023, 11:59:18 am »
VLC will do what you want on the fly. It's also very useful for video translations. I also use a streaming add-on to VLC to stream movies from my computer in my study to the television downstairs. VLC is open source, free, universal, and exceptionally good at what it does.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2023, 12:38:51 pm »
VLC will do what you want on the fly. It's also very useful for video translations. I also use a streaming add-on to VLC to stream movies from my computer in my study to the television downstairs. VLC is open source, free, universal, and exceptionally good at what it does.

Thanks Andre.
When I go to open VLC, I am taken to the Wave browser site and if I continue it makes my laptop default to Wave as my default browser. There appears to be no option to skip this.
I guess I could set it up and then go into settings to revert to my fav browser, Microsoft Edge but I'm not sure what else may be changed in my settings by downloading Wave/VLC.

Matt

martinf

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2023, 12:53:07 pm »
When I go to open VLC, I am taken to the Wave browser site and if I continue it makes my laptop default to Wave as my default browser. There appears to be no option to skip this.

I have installed VLC on many computers (Windows and Linux) and never had this problem.

Perhaps try installing from the VLC site:

https://www.videolan.org/

Andre Jute

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2023, 10:02:35 pm »

Famous touring bicyclist hijacked by internet pirates!

Do as Martin says and start at the VLC netsite. Follow the instructions carefully.

Like many open-source apps, the VLC user interface is not as slick as some commercial products which promise more than they deliver, but it makes up for it by being exceedingly powerful.