Looks like a tricky city for cycling.

Best

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

PH

Re: Athens
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2022, 01:01:06 pm »
Hope you're enjoying it.
I went a few years ago, did a guided cycle tour on the first day, starting from the Acropolis museum, also my first go on an E-bike. Great fun, in a group with a guide who knows where they're going, but I think it would take a bit of time to acclimatise to riding there alone, as it would in many cities.
I like city bike tours, I know it's a very touristy thing to do, but I find it gives a flavour and once I have that I can get the most out of exploring.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2022, 05:48:10 pm »
Just back from the Acropolis museum. An excellent facility. I think we should have gone there before visiting the Acropolis itse.

Sadly no cycling here this time. My wife is not keen and has our itinerary planned out to the hour.
Bikes do not appear on the schedule!😉

Best

Matt

CycleTourer

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2022, 01:32:20 am »
I stayed in Athens for a few days in the spring. I cycled the 25 km from the airport to the Exarcheia neighbourhood in the centre, from Exarcheia 6 km south to a camping-gear shop and back, and then from Exarcheia out of the city to the northwest. Except for a few hundred meters near the airport, cycling was pretty stress-free. There are plenty of dedicated bike paths, and even in the streets without dedicated bike paths drivers were considerate.

The only downside of cycling in Athens is how hilly it is, but that is no different from Greece as a whole.

tyreon

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2022, 08:38:18 am »
Be wonderful to hear what your impressions of the place might be. Overall impression and that concerning anything cycling. I wonder who or what is out there visiting these days. You,of course. Since the onset of the pandemic and now the wars,inflation and fuel crises...is anyone visiting the place? With limited knowledge of the place,I dont see it as one that would make bicycling pleasureable. But then youth would paint a completely different picture making the city new,exciteable,'foreign': dangers,crowded roads,dowdy suburbs,hills, are still to be experienced and enjoyed. When older,you've had enough of 'em! ;)

CycleTourer

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2022, 02:28:13 pm »
Since the onset of the pandemic and now the wars,inflation and fuel crises...is anyone visiting the place?

If you think Athens is untouristed, you're in for a surprise. Greece was one of the first countries to lift its COVID restrictions in order to get its tourist trade back, and indeed all those tourists immediately came back (with the exception of the Chinese groups, of course, as they are still under their restrictions). Plus, within Athens itself the digital nomad community is now quite visible.

And as I said, there was zero sense of danger when cycling in Athens – even for this cyclist who is, alas, not a young person.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 02:34:54 pm by CycleTourer »

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2022, 03:10:53 pm »
I guess ones views and opinions can be shaped by where you start from. So to speak.
I try not to be judgemental.
So: lots more graffiti than I am use to
An observation not a criticism.

Certainly hilly in Athens.
A few beggars but they do not hassle folks.
Litter free by and large.
Traffic heavy in the city but then that's normal now for most other urban jungles.

At the end of a meal you are presented with a clear itemised bill. No pressure to tip.

I saw one touring cyclist.
Helmets not compulsory on bikes or motorcycles.
No enforcement of motorcycle silencer noise.
Police carry guns and mace spray.

Folks we stopped to ask directions from all spoke English & were happy to help.

Tourism is certainly big business here. As mentioned above, few Chinese, if any.
Plenty of USA folks on European tours.

Costs: not good for UK folks due to poor exchange rates at the moment.

Would I come back? Yes to Greece but the city didn't win me over like Amsterdam and Marrakech.

Pleased to answer any other questions.
Best
Matt

tyreon

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2022, 09:05:59 am »
Thanks Matt. And Cycletourer

It was many years ago that I last visited Athens,and it wasnt on a bike. As was when I visited I didnt think it a cycle friendly city,but the city might have changed,and the weather mayn't be as hot as what I experienced it. I also wouldnt say I have a comprehensive knowledge of 'all things Athens'.

I just wondered what Athens was like theseadays. My view of the world I have presented to me by all sorts is one less visited because of the remnants of covid,and the increasing cost of making ends meet. Countries,cities,times,change: I didnt know how Athens would be theseadays. When I last visited Athens it was via the Daily Mail where some picture was posted 'today' then back in the early 70s. Then the Acropolis had a lone couple clambering over the deserted top,'today' had the same place chocca. As GB appears to be entering an ice age wherein the lights are about to go off and we are about to have a war with Russia,I wondered who is holidaying over there,what's happening over there. A few years back Greece was being advertised as on its knees,elderly people unable to obtain prescriptions. You never know what's wot. I think I prefer and trust individuals feedback than that given over to professionals.

I have a partly read copy of Bicycle Diaries. The guy details urban rides and impressions of cities he visits and travels thru. Quite interesting. If I was up to it and had the time,I think I would give-it-a-go to cycle through some places to get a feel of what they're like.

I like to gauge the temperature of many things. I live very near a university campus so gauge some stuff through racial profile. The(affluent?)Chinese seem to be returning. There's also an airport somewhat near me: bizarre,but sometimes I go out to check how the holiday and travel bizness is going