Author Topic: Seatpost slipping  (Read 2871 times)

slim

Seatpost slipping
« on: October 16, 2011, 01:43:55 am »
 I've had some issues with the seat-post on my Nomad. It slips despite applying extreme force to tightening the seat-post clamp. The symptoms are a seat that can be nudged off-center far too easily and progressively slips down. In attempting to overcome the issue I took the desperate measure of wiping the seatpost clean of grease and ditto the tube. Sadly even that hasn't completely overcome the problem so I'm in the market for a more restrictive clamp. Any suggestions?

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: Seatpost slipping
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 04:08:08 am »
One thing that seemed to help me: I greased the clamping bolt pretty well. This way the torque I apply to the bolt goes entirely into squeezing the seatpost rather than in overcoming friction from the bolt threads or where the bolt head seats. I used a torque wrench too... I think I set it to 9 Nm. I was tweaking my seat height at the same time I was getting some of this slipping problem.

I wonder, too... at the same time, I used copper grease on the seatpost, wiping off the bearing grease I'd put on it at first. Anyway, somehow it isn't slipping anymore, so I'm happy about that! I hope you find a magic formula, too!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 04:41:45 am »
There can be some variance in actual seatpost diameters that can lead to slipping, as well.  If you have (or have access to) a digital caliper or micrometer, a check might show yours is slightly undersized.  Alternatively, simply swapping in a substitute seatpost in the same size can produce some remarkable results.

I notice the black Zoom large-layback seatpost on my new Sherpa has a bead-blasted finish that seems to give it good purchase in the seat tube and so far there has been no problem with slippage.  Perhaps something like this would help the OP, Slim.

Best,

Dan.

julk

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 09:47:00 am »
Using a carbon fibre assembly paste instead of grease may help.
The paste contains very small plastic balls which add body and help hold things in place under presure.

expr

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 09:24:32 pm »
Hi slim, I (had) the same issues that you are experiencing but managed to find a clamp on ebay which worked brilliantly. I t was a single collar twin clamp arrangement where by the fist clamp went around the seat tube and clamped in the traditional way and the second clamp put further tension around the seat post only, this worked out to be the best clamp Ive ever seen.

slim

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 09:44:07 pm »
Thanks everyone - the solution will be here so working through them.