Author Topic: Have you used studs/spikes on your Thorn?  (Read 3835 times)

horizon

Have you used studs/spikes on your Thorn?
« on: December 21, 2013, 01:25:52 pm »
I'm getting ready for winter (ice and snow) and putting my trusty MTB on the road with Schwalbe Snow Studs on. I'm doing this because they don't fit on any other bike. What spiked/studded tyres have you used and on which bike? What fits and what doesn't?

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: Have you used studs/spikes on your Thorn?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 02:27:27 pm »
I've got Schwalbe Marathon Winter tires on my Nomad... with P55 mudguards. The tires are 47mm wide.

I am sure that 98% of the time, regular tires would be enough. Just little patches of ice here and there on the roads. Still, eating asphalt 2% of the time seems too much!

energyman

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 03:52:08 pm »
No need to.  It always does what it is told. 

Lemming

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 03:53:15 pm »
Marathon Winter on Nomad, with mudguards left on, throughout winter, used daily.
Work well until there has been a thaw/refreeze, on solid ice there just isn't enough weight for the studs to penetrate.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 03:55:02 pm by Lemming »

martinf

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 05:22:58 pm »
I have an old MTB to which I fit Nokian Hakkapeliitta W240 26 x 1.95 tyres in winter. I have P65 mudguards with good clearance on this bike.

The Hakkapeliittas have lots of studs and a moderately knobbly tread pattern. They work well on patches of black ice, and, with care, on fairly thick ice. They are also much slower than the Supremes I use on the old MTB the rest of the year.

These tyres would certainly fit my Thorn Raven Tour, but to get safe clearance for the studs I would have to modify the mudguard fittings (set up to clear Duremes fairly close) or perhaps fit wider P65 mudguards instead of the current P55s.

The review in the link below mirrors my own experience with Hakkapeliitta W240 tyres:

http://bikesncoffee.wordpress.com/2011/01/25/nokian-hakkapeliitta-w240-studded-tires/

mickeg

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 06:43:46 pm »
Marathon Winter 26X2.0 on Nomad MkII with fenders.

Fenders are fitted to allow a 2.25 width Marathon Extreme with a small amount of mud, so plenty of room for the Marathon Winters with a bit of snow pack.

moodymac

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 11:55:03 pm »

"eating asphalt 2% of the time seems too much!"

Good one Jim.  I'm with you!

Tom

horizon

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 06:21:05 pm »
Thanks everyone. Just to clarify. I dont't need information about the need for or performance of the tyres (interesting though it is so do post it as well) but the width/size/make of tyre that you used on a particular bike. This is because studded tyres are generally in larger sizes and generously sized (I think). My Snow Studs don't fit on my Dawes Sardar and I'm not certain they will fit on a Sherpa.

So I would like to know which tyres will fit on which Thorn - it's a buying criteria for me for both bike and tyre.

rualexander

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2013, 06:28:23 pm »
My Sherpa has had Schwalbe Snow Stud, Nokian Hakkapelitta 106, and Schwalbe Marathon Winter tyres fitted no problem over the past few winters.

mickeg

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2013, 11:00:10 pm »
I think the Marathon Winter 26X2.0 is about the same size and shape as the Dureme 26X2.0 that fits just fine on my Sherpa.  The tightest point is the little screw that holds the front fender into the base of the steerer. 

JWestland

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2013, 09:53:55 pm »
Marathon Winter 26 inch they're 1.75 I believe? On the XTC. No asphalt eating involved not even on frozen over snow.

But I can't say I like snow/ice very much still...the tires work though.
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)

julk

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2013, 09:08:01 am »
Marathon winter are available in 26x1.75 and 26x2.0.

I got some 26x2.0 for Christmas and now to see if they fit in my expr - which currently has 26x2.0 duremes.

Happy Christmas.
Julian.

NZPeterG

• It's Great to Be Alive! Again! Go Cycle. . . . . .
    • Kiwi Pete's Cycling Safari
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2013, 09:26:14 am »
Hi All,
I do not how about tyres But I do use Studs on my Cycle Shoes if help in the Mud when I go Mountain Biking.
Do you not use Chain's on you Tyre's in the snow?

Pete  ???

The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common[

http://kiwipetesadventures.tumblr.com/

http://kiwipetescyclingsafari.blogspot.co.nz/

Looked after by Chris @ http://www.puresports.co.nz/
For all your Rohloff and Thorn Bicycle's in NZ

horizon

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2013, 04:48:37 pm »
My Sherpa has had Schwalbe Snow Stud, Nokian Hakkapelitta 106, and Schwalbe Marathon Winter tyres fitted no problem over the past few winters.

Schwalbe Snow Studs are 1.9 (I've checked the info on the tyre and measured them using a gauge). They don't fit my Sardar but just wanted to check again that they really do fit a Sherpa, pref with mudguards.

rualexander

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2013, 05:25:00 pm »
My Sherpa with Snow Stud on rear and Nokian Hakkapelitta 106 on front