Technical > General Technical

Long term maintenance

(1/6) > >>

neil_p:
Hi all

I've had my Thorn Rohloff for about 4 years now, and it has started to feel a bit "sluggish".  I have changed the oil every year (last month was the most recent change), so, I'm wondering what else might be wearing out?

Pedals? - I have Speedplay Frog pedals, which were second hand (and well used) when purchased 4 years ago. They have since had 4000 miles use. This is my first "proper" bike, so I don't know how long a pedal should last.

Tyres? - My tyres and tubes are original Panaracer Pasela TG. There is still some tread left, but perhaps the rubber starts to break down after 4000 miles?

Chain? - at what point does it need replacing? The thorn manual implies you can keep adjusting the EBB, then remove a link and reset the EBB. I have not yet removed a link, so should there be plenty of life left in it?

Bottom bracket? - (Shimano Hollowtech I think) - what is the life of these?

Thanks all

Neil

davefife:
Neil, I am into year 5 with my RST, on my 3rd chain and second rear sprocket, still on original BB and have turned the chainring, bike does an average of 5k miles/year.  Tyres, i run contis I did not like the pasela tyres at all, too fragile, I threw them away after 6 months.  The pedals should turn freely with no play in the bearings.  Keep your tyre pressure high, 70 front and 90 psi rear for me, maybe its not the bike ;)
ta
Dave
www.davesbikeshed.co.uk

neil_p:

--- Quote from: davefife on May 05, 2011, 11:03:52 am ---Neil, I am into year 5 with my RST, on my 3rd chain and second rear sprocket, still on original BB and have turned the chainring, bike does an average of 5k miles/year.  Tyres, i run contis I did not like the pasela tyres at all, too fragile, I threw them away after 6 months.  The pedals should turn freely with no play in the bearings.  Keep your tyre pressure high, 70 front and 90 psi rear for me, maybe its not the bike ;)
ta
Dave
www.davesbikeshed.co.uk

--- End quote ---

Which conti tyres are you using? I'm after something light and puncture proof for commuting/sportives.

My tyres/tubes never used to need pumping up more than once every 3 months, but they now seem to need pumping up every fortnight.  They don't have punctures - but can the rubber perish over time and start to lose air?

Based on what you say you're replacing the chain every couple of years, so approx every 10k miles?  That means I should have another few miles yet in my chain.

I'm pretty sure it is the bike (not me!)  ;D

JimK:
Sorry if this is too trivial, but do make sure you don't have a brake shoe rubbing against the rim! Another problem I had was that one of the bolts that attaches a fender stay to the fender was rubbing the tire a little. Just spin the wheels and make sure they're free of anything gross like that.

Again, sorry if this is just too obvious, but just in case...

Jim

neil_p:
Cheers Jim... thanks for the reminder. I did fit new brake pads recently, and didn't check for pad rub. I'll do that tonight!

I'm pretty sure the pedals need replacing... they were pretty worn when I bought them on ebay 3 years ago. I think I'll replace them and see how it feels.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version