Author Topic: Carying spare innertubes  (Read 2002 times)

Andyb1

Carying spare innertubes
« on: September 04, 2023, 10:52:09 pm »
Hi,
I have just bought an older Sherpa and unfortunately this has coincided with hedges being cut and the inevitable punctures (even with so called puncture proof tyres).
I always carry a spare inner tube but yesterday I found that it had degraded where it was stressed from being folded…….so I had to patch the punctured tube.   I have had this happen before, and checked my spare innertube on another bike and that was also u/s.
I have now put my spare tubes into jiffy bags to stop any chance of abrasion - any other ideas???
Thanks
Andyb

PH

Re: Carying spare innertubes
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2023, 12:25:08 am »
I wrap mine first in a J cloth, then in cling film.  The J-cloth is useful for cleaning your hands afterwards and then the lot can be roughly wrapped up in the cling film. Wrapping them like that also means there's no way I can mistake a punctured tube for a repaired one. It also matters where you're carrying them, mine are in a saddle bag side pocket, they don't get much abrasion. Whatever you do, you can't think of everything, I carried one for years not knowing it had a manufacturer's fault and I've been caught out with solid glue...

The hedge cutters are quick of the mark round your way, it's not usually permitted till the end of August.  I'm hoping I've got another month, the farmers/contractors round here are usually still too busy with other stuff till then.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2023, 08:44:26 am »
Good advice from PH.
I wrap my tubes in a J-cloth and blue nitro gloves. keeps the mitts clean, Weigh almost zero.

Best

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Andyb1

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2023, 08:37:52 pm »
Thanks for the replies - yet another puncture today!  Somerset thorns…..
Always seem to be in the rear wheel - and it is not the same thorn being left in the tyre puncturing again.  It is just that the thorns in this area seem to be very sharp.
With 26 x 2 marathon plus I never got punctures but maybe the 26 x 1.75 marathon plus tyres I am now using have thinner protection?

steve216c

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2023, 09:59:21 pm »
I have a small plastic box originally from a packed lunch set that fits my spare tube and snaps shut to stop abrasion. I haven’t had a flat for a while but had to replace the tube recently as I gave my original to a colleague who‘d got a flat and asked for a favour.
I‘be often carried repair kit in the past. Ideally flats happen on nice days and the short break to enjoy the weather and scenery a pleasure while the patch bonds to the rubber.
The reality is that never happens. It is always miserable weather on noisy streets not conducive to repairing in. So I tend to do repairs at home instead on fair weather days.
If only my bike shed were bigger on the inside...

mickeg

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2023, 07:21:36 pm »
I always have carried tubes in a plastic bag.  I did not want tubes to pick up a bit if dirt that sticks to it, gets in between the tire and tube, and eventually causes the next puncture.

I also have often used a bit of talc powder on tubes to make them less sticky when putting in the tube an on the rim.  That is one of those things that some mechanics have often used and some other mechanics think is a stupid idea, so there is no consensus on this.

The spare disposable gloves suggestion is a good one.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2023, 10:51:29 am »
so there is no consensus on this.

I'm trying to think of any subject where there is any consensus?
 ;)

The spare disposable gloves suggestion is a good one.

Thanks but is there any consensus?
 :)
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink