Author Topic: sks mudguards  (Read 3747 times)

alfie1952

sks mudguards
« on: February 23, 2014, 02:55:57 pm »
Really struggling to get a nice snug fit with my mudguards on thorn Sherpa. I'm sure I seen someone else having similar problems  and there was  a link illustrating how to do it, but  I cannot  find it now ...anyone help.... HELP !

jags

Re: sks mudguards
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 04:13:03 pm »
the trick is to use the spacers ;)

alfie1952

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 04:27:20 pm »
Thanks jags, the thing is the mudguards were fitted when I got the bike and a hole has already been drilled at the top( back mudguard). when I try to get an equal space all around the mudguard gets distorted . Do I have to drill another hole and where do I start fitting from the top or where ?

regards ,Alfie

jags

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 04:54:03 pm »
Alfie ,Dan will sort you out on this ,mudguards can be hard to get spot on believe me i know, i was all day fitting the sks on my raleigh... ::)
i wouldn't worry to much about the extra holes a few grommets will sort that out,

good luck have fun as i said dan your man.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 05:13:55 pm »
Hi Alfie!

Sorry you're having trouble fitting your mudguards; it can be a struggle and sometimes plastic 'guards come from the package a bit distorted from shipping or storage; gentle application of a heat gun while massaging the plastic will help there. They can even be recurved to fit much smaller wheels. I successfully converted some 700C SKS 'guards to use on my 20in-wheeled recumbent with no problem.

I'll let you in on my little secret to lightning-fast, accurately-sized mudguard installations: Use spacers (later, as jags suggests, but also) *before* fitting and drilling.

Some years ago, I was pressed for time to install several bikes' worth of 'guards and knew I needed to speed things up a bit. I made a quick trip to the hardware store and bought some clear vinyl tubing, the kind used on fish aquariums. I chose the diameter needed  for adequate clearance -- on the bikes in question (and this being 'Merka where metric measures were scarce at the time), this was 3/8in OD (nearly a centimeter at 9.525mm) and 1/4in OD (6.35mm). I simply used masking tape in several places to secure the tubing to the fully-inflated tire as a spacer, then used more tape strips to fasten the 'guard atop it.

The tubing held each 'guard centered and equidistant from the tire and all I had to do was measure the clearance between the 'guard and mounting points (chainstay and seatstay bridges). To do that quickly and measure the hole placement accurately, I just used a few single-, double-, or triple-chainring bolts and sleeve nuts, screwed apart as necessary to fill the gaps and serve as gauges. Placed under the bridges, a piece of tape fore and aft marked the centers for drilling and I just duplicated the standoff using 6mm nuts and washers, which nicely served as spacers on 5mm bolts.

With the mounting bolts and spacers in place, it was quick and easy to fit and cut the stays 'cos the tubing spacers removed all the guesswork. I would imagine most production mudguard fitting is done this way; it is much quicker and more accurate than fiddling with them a piece at a time, especially when dealing with multiple bikes.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Dan.

EDIT: Forgot to add: With the guards taped in place, just bolt the stays to the dropouts and mark the ends against the brackets, cut and reinstall with the supplied drawbolts and nuts for a quick, perfect job on the stay lengths.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 06:11:53 pm by Danneaux »

jags

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 05:53:09 pm »
feckin genius. ;)

alfie1952

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 06:04:40 pm »
Thanks Dan,I quite get what you are saying, and I have foam lagging which will work in a similar fashion. I have an idea that in your spare time  you wear a blue body suit with your red underpants on the outside and wear a cape, flying over tall buildings helping cyclists in distress. Much appreciated by many.

Regards' Alfie

jags

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 06:23:38 pm »
Thanks Dan,I quite get what you are saying, and I have foam lagging which will work in a similar fashion. I have an idea that in your spare time  you wear a blue body suit with your red underpants on the outside and wear a cape, flying over tall buildings helping cyclists in distress. Much appreciated by many.

Regards' Alfie

;D ;D ;D brilliant

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 06:30:04 pm »
Yep; foam lagging will work fine as mudguard spacers while fitting.

Thanks for the kind words; much appreciated!

All the best,

Dan. (...who is off for a ride just a few minutes from now)

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 08:43:19 pm »
The problem I had with my Raven guards were the struts and the angles.
I just could not get them to fit. Eventually I bent them and finished up with a good looking set up.
Spacers? Not sure I needed them but Dan knows best.
Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

alfie1952

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 09:23:39 pm »
Hi Matt2matt2002,
 I spent a few hours trying to get them to fit and honestly bending the stays would not solve the problem. I think they are slightly warped and were also fitted badly to start with. I'm going to try Dans way as I may have to heat them and put them back into shape before trial fitting them and then still may  have to drill another hole at the top. Thanks for your input, much appreciated .

Regards, Alfie

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 11:27:35 pm »
If you run into any trouble along the way, Alfie, just give a shout.

Best of luck to you; fitting fenders can be a fiddly business.

Dan.

Donerol

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 11:10:29 am »
I knew I'd seen it somewhere..... this is SJS's guide Fitting Mudguards to our Thorn Bikes with 26" wheels. No pictures unfortunately but probably clear enough once you start to do it.

il padrone

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 01:17:59 pm »
45mm SKS mudguards on a 1.75" tyre? Hmm... I think I would not.

I have always used the 55mm guards and they suit the tyres quite well with the added versatility that when I run 2.00" or even 2.15" tyres for rougher riding, the mudguards will still fit acceptably. 45mm guards would be inadequate with these tyres.

Donerol

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 04:37:20 pm »
Fair comment about the width, but the method of fitting is the same.  I was puzzled by the spacers and plugged/redrilled holes on my Raven until I found the article.

FWIW the guards  measure 48mm wide and are fine with 1.75 Paselas.