Author Topic: Cranks  (Read 4477 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Cranks
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2012, 10:36:17 am »
I found anything below 52/16 not optimal for me.
Yeah, but...you is strong, Jawine!  :o *And* must have good knees! I tip my hat to you!
...more I think about it, the bigger the urge to get a cycle computer STOP ME NOW
Stop. Now. Nope, didn't think it'd do any good. 'Tis a slippery slope...  :D

Best,

Dan.

JWestland

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2012, 01:56:18 pm »
Cycle computers...titanium rails...looking at pedal weights...gotta stop, right here :P

Ah well, talk to me about my knees in another 20 years  ;)

I've been doing weight lifting for years, it helps the supporting muscles around the knees and by training your hamstrings you keep the balance right between front/back of the legs. Might help a bit, not sure.

Having to control a fixie at 52/16 on the other hand...em...let's put a 46 on first, steady as she goes...
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)

macspud

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2012, 08:44:40 pm »

Iain, as you may have figured by now, I'm mightily interested in things such as crank length and how they affect performance, so I'd be delighted if you drop a note at some time in future to let me know if you get the longer Zinn cranks and how they feel. Or better yet, a post on the list, so others could benefit. Great stuff! Thanks for the reposts/quotes and links.

Poor Jane's thread has grown well beyond her original question. Hope she comes out alright in the end. About getting the cranks put right, she said about the shop...Shame on them; for shame! Best to own up and make it right as soon as the problem comes to light.

All the best,

Dan.

Hello Dan,

Thank you for the in depth reply. I have been wondering about this for a while and swithering (Zinn cranks aren't cheap) and there are many things to take into account, toe over lap, peddle strike, the height of the bottom bracket and whether they'd even suit me.

We have kind of hijacked Jane's thread. Maybe it should be moved to a new thread, how does one do that?

As for the bike shop, yes, shame on them. Some people just need to learn to admit their mistakes.

Anyway if and when I do get some 195mm Zinn cranks I will report back on how they suit me. The real problem that I can foresee is that if they do suit they it will start an expensive foray into custom frames.

Regards,

Iain.