Community > Thorn General

How much is a steel frame worth in scrap value?

<< < (4/5) > >>

PH:

--- Quote from: Bill C on January 05, 2022, 10:30:41 pm ---i also don't need a rohloff to know an ebb has faults, i have had a scott sub35 with an ebb
the fault i found was that if i adjusted the ebb to remove the slack in the chain then the pedals moved and where no longer comfortable for me

--- End quote ---
So it's all EBB's you consider poor design rather than this particular version?  Maybe you should have made that clear. I can only respond to what you say, in this case you start by saying you agree with the OP, except you don't, they're about to buy another bike with an EBB. their dislike is with this specific design. 

mickeg:
If anyone is curious on how I adjust my bottom bracket eccentric and avoid getting a groove in it, I just started a new thread on how I do that.  At:
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=14475

Bill C:
lol i didn't post to get in an argument over ebbs or rohloffs
i posted to say i thought op was being over the top scrapping a frame, rather than selling it on,
i agreed with op that ebbs aint great and i mentioned rohloff specific frames as they are so limited in the amount of buyers willing to splash cash on a secondhand one
 i mentioned the mech hanger as it would increase the market in secondhand buyers and would of been a useful fallback if you had any trouble with your hub, it would also mean you could run a normal chain tensioner rather having to move the pedals position that's all

i'll sign off as i can see this degenerating and i'd rather it didn't

martinf:

--- Quote from: Bill C on January 05, 2022, 10:30:41 pm ---the fault i found was that if i adjusted the ebb to remove the slack in the chain then the pedals moved and where no longer comfortable for me i have arthritis in both knee's and they are sensitive to saddle height/pedal position

--- End quote ---

A valid comment on the EBB, and something that bothered me before I got my first Thorn. I had, however, previously owned a tandem with an EBB, so I concluded that I could live with this drawback.

To keep the saddle to pedal distance and angle the same, it is possible to move the saddle (vertically and horizontally) to match the movement when adjusting the EBB. Of course, doing that means that the reach from saddle to handlebar changes slightly.

In pratice, this hasn't yet been a problem for me.

Having a way of adjusting chain tension without a tensioner means that it is possible to fit a Chainglider, which, at least in my experience, reduces chain wear considerably and thus reduces the need to use the adjustment of the EBB.

martinf:

--- Quote from: Bill C on January 05, 2022, 06:47:48 pm ---if the hype is to be believed their are plenty of rohloff users gagging for decent frame or maybe an alfine user

--- End quote ---

I doubt if there are all that many Rohloff users looking for a second-hand frame.

But if not too expensive, perhaps some users of the much more common Shimano or SRAM hub gears who might like a sturdy frame that can eliminate a chain tensioner. Or maybe someone who wants to build up an inexpensive hub-geared commuter/errand bike with good load capacity.

My own "requirement" is for a large, inexpensive frame that permits the use of a Chainglider, to replace my old mountain-bike frame with vertical dropouts, which is currently used as my "large" visitor bike.

The Nexus Premium 8-speed hub and Marathon Plus puncture resistant rear tyre on this bike reduce the maintenance significantly, but the exposed chain/chainring and sprocket need at least 4 times as much maintenance as my "small" visitor bike with similar gearing and tyres and a Raven Tour Step Through frame, EBB and Chainglider.

The alternative to an EBB frame would be a very old mountain-bike frame with horizontal dropouts. These do turn up locally on the "Le Bon Coin" website from time to time, but so far they have always been too small for me.     

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version