Author Topic: Still For sale: mrk2 Nomad S&S 540L #asking price reduced to 1750gbp#  (Read 2970 times)

sfau

Brought in the spring of 2010. Covered 3750 in Central America before being shipped back to England.
Recently reassembled, new rim on rear, all new spokes and fitted with Schwalbe Big Apple 2inch tyres

photos, video and spec list:http://www.sfauphotographs.com/Places/bike/28062132_tMRDnwt

Bad points: top tube is marked in a few places and it has a very small dent by the “m” in nomad (thanks to the courier company)

To buy this spec bike new would cost around 3200GBP. I am only looking for 1995GBP ono  #PRICE IS NOW 1750GBP#

The bike is in Wokingham (RG40), visits encouraged.

please note: the saddle is not included in the sale
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 05:06:46 pm by sfau »

in4

Re: For sale: mrk2 Nomad S&S 540L
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 12:54:07 pm »
Now that is a Nomad with a story to tell! Someone, shorter than me will surely snap it up!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 06:53:48 pm »
Hi Sifau!

Welcome to the Forum. Your Nomad has a wonderful "patina of use" -- not a bad point at all!

I usually judge finish on on a used vehicle by the race-car standard, many of which look good-to-great at a distance but up close show signs of racetrack use -- sand-blasting from track debris, some straightened panels, and paint chips. "Five-foot paint jobs" look acceptable unless you lean closer. "Fifteen-foot paint jobs" are fine if it drives by on the street in the near lane while you're on the shoulder. There's a few that look good at twenty feet driving past in the opposite lane, and some that look rough no matter the distance.

When I was a kid, I saw one of Eric Carlsson's SAAB 96 rally cars on display after a race in which he once again earned the nickname “Carlsson På Taket”, Swedish for “Carlsson on the roof”: http://silodrome.com/erik-carlsson-aka-carlsson-pa-taket/ It was a thing of beauty in my eyes, 'cos it was authentic and had seen genuine use in the heat of battle. Even just sitting there, the car told a story. Much better than if it had been restored to pristine condition.

I'd say this Nomad has about a 3-meter paint finish, and actually gets better up close 'cos of the travel history. There's certain tools (and bikes are "tools") that -- past a certain point -- simply look more "right" with the patina of use. It's not the dreaded "first chip" that makes a flaw..rather, the "right" look occurs when many of those little flaws flow together to make a whole of their own. Nice bikes can be the result! This one looks wonderful to me.

Best,

Dan. (...who thinks of a chip as a flaw if there's only one)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 07:02:04 pm by Danneaux »

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 06:58:52 pm »
Stunning bike and fantastic pictures on your site.
May I ask what camera you use?

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

sfau

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 08:46:34 am »
Central America is a great place to cycle, as long as you can pedal faster than the dogs that chase you. My personal record was 8!

the cameras i used along the way were a nikon d200, lumix gf1, canon g12 and a couple of pocket cameras.

Edd

Re: For sale: mrk2 Nomad S&S 540L #asking price reduced to 1795gbp#
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 02:05:36 am »
Hi Sfau, was wondering, I'm 5' 10" ish. What height your bike is suited to? If you think it's about right then I'd like to come see it. Cheers, Edd

sfau

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 09:03:53 am »
I am 5 foot 8, with a 29 inch inside leg. The bike would suit you just fine.

E-wan

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 11:17:08 am »
Not interested in buying as its similar to mine but I am intreagued as to how you have found the big apples

fitted with Schwalbe Big Apple 2inch tyres

How do you find it rides with Big apple tyres loaded and unloaded.

are they 2.0 2.1 or 2.35 wide?

Hope you don't mind me asking?

Ewan

sfau

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 11:29:12 am »
2.0 tyres, great on tarmac but not so much on everything else. never used them fully loaded. I have used 10 dollar Chinese mtb tyres in central america...after those, anything else is great

i have used big apple before on a long distance trip but it was on a trike

sfau

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 06:53:09 pm »
Edd: pm sent