Technical > General Technical

Fitting Tubus Duo Lowriders to an Audax

(1/2) > >>

RST Scout:
I want to use my Audax to tour. I already have Tubus low rider (Duo) front racks but of course the Audax doesn’t have mid-fork bosses. Reasearching I found ‘LM-1 MOUNTING SET FOR FORKS WITHOUT EYELETS’. It says they are for all Tubus racks except the duo but I reckon that if I get 2packs and only use the sides with the screw hole on it would work (one front screw mount on each side of fork). What do you lot think?

Janet

MarkT3:
I wouldn’t!

I think the reason they advise against use with the duo is there will be nothing to stop the clamp rotating on the fork and the bags going into the wheel.

A Tara would be ok with the over wheel hoop.

RST Scout:
Mark,
Surely the oval shape of the fork would prevent any rotation?

Janet

lewis noble:
Janet, what about a bar bag? 

Personally, I'm not too keen on the large boxy bar bags that some people use, for which you would probably also need an accessory bar.  But I have very successfully used a small saddlebag (the smallest in the Carradice range - Zipped Roll Bag) on the bars, fits well (I suppose depends on bar width) and allows easy use of existing light fittings etc. 

Holds a useful amount, a bit fiddly to get on and off, but that's an advantage in terms of security, no special fittings needed.  I did need longer straps than standard, but easily available from Carradice.  Worked well for me.

Lewis

mickeg:
I certainly am one to try to use what I already own, but sometimes that plan is not the best.  I think you need a different rack.

Of the Tara and Ergo (both Tubus), I own both of them and I think the Ergo works a bit better with Ortliebs.  If you have panniers other than Ortlieb, I have no comment on which would be better.  I just checked, it appears the Ergo is no longer in production but might be available at some retailers.

I do not have an Audax, so I am not sure how the brakes are fitted.  Are there cantilever brakes on the front of the fork?  If so, if you can find a Tubus Smarti rack, that might work great.  I believe the Smarti is no longer in production, so it might be hard to find.  SJS does not list it on their site, but google shows it is out there elsewhere.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version