Community > Member's Gallery

Off-roading on a raven tour

(1/1)

geocycle:
I did a bit of offroading on the RT yesterday.  I followed an old Roman road across the Bowland Fells -some 12 miles continuous offroad within a 50 mile round trip.  It was clearly last repaired about 2000 years ago! I think Fisher's group have ridden this earlier this year.  The bike handled beautifully, despite being really shaken around on some very rough tracks.  I've only done sustrans offroad sections and forestry roads before but this was a different league and I definitely am feeling the effects!  Not sure I'm cut out for any serious mtb stuff but like the versatility the RT gives to make snap decisions for exploring interesting routes.

lewis noble:
Looks good, geocycle!!  Very much my kind of riding.  We spoke about the W2Whitby a few weeks ago, on hold for a while because of family illness / bereavement, but I am definitely doing it this summer.  Bowland looks lovely.

Lewis

fisher:
Well done geocycle! may see you on one South Lakes Group Rides in the future? The Salter Fell Road is now part of the North Lancashire Bridleway which is 45 to 50 miles long!

geocycle:
Yes I saw signs for the N. lancs. bridleway, looks good and didn't realise it was 50 miles long.  I did a road loop from Lancaster through Trough of Bowland to Slaidburn then picked up Salter Fell to Hornby and then home.  Have to admit to a couple of pushes on the really loose rock surface at the Slaidburn end.  It would be good to ride sometime with the South lakes group but other commitments limit how often I can get out, I'll follow your itinerary though in case things work out.

freddered:
It's good to know that it can handle rough stuff if needs must but, as you found out, a few inches of front suspension on a 'proper' MTB makes a vast difference.

Still you never know where some roads lead.  My Raven comes into its own on unmade winter roads when the skinny-tyre brigade have to follow me for a change.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version