Author Topic: Rohloff and SON dynamo wheelset, may sell  (Read 3708 times)

ShaunMc

Rohloff and SON dynamo wheelset, may sell
« on: October 24, 2022, 01:51:44 pm »
Hi, I'm trying to gauge interest and decide whether to sell my rohloff and son dynamo hub wheelset...

Absolutely love the wheelset but... Why I'm selling, well my trusty old frame broke, not through misuse more through age, and well my new mtb is 110/140 axles so they're no good for that. And my road / audax bike has drop bars so questionably tidy for the rohloff on there. And well I already have a SON hub on there.

So the front wheel is almost a certainty that I'll sell it and hopefully then build a 110 dynamo hub wheel for the new mtb. I'm torn by the rohloff though. Love it. But it might be wasted on the old road bike. And if I sold it maybe a 140 bolt through rohloff would become a bit more affordable!

So as much as kind of offering the wheels for sale I'm half hoping for some inspiration to keep the rohloff. And Can people advise what the wheels are worth second hand? They've done a 20k tour after which the SON was serviced and well the rohloff was basically just run in!

Ill ping some photos up if people want to see them, The wheels are currently byult with 26in black rims, dB silver spokes and the hubs are black.  The SON is a 15mm x 100mm bolt through and I have a 9mm qr adaptor axle available.
The rohloff is a 135mm qr disc brake variant
I specd them to basically be future proofed - or so I thought, but then they changed the OLN sizes  :-\

JohnR

Re: Rohloff and SON dynamo wheelset, may sell
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2022, 05:41:13 pm »
You (or a purchaser of the wheels) could build the wheels (and other parts) into a new frame. I've documented my experience in fitting a Rohloff hub into a Spa Cycles Elan frame at http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=14396.60. While 26" wheels suffer the problem of a more limited choice of tyres they are a more suitable size than 700c for shorter people and smaller frame sizes.

PH

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2022, 11:07:14 am »
Rohloff's do hold their value well compared to other cycling components, though there's still a point where the depreciation will be more than the value you consider you've had from it
As long as it's the standard black or silver, you have the most popular spec hub, but it's in what is currently the least fashionable wheel size.  The latter might restrict the market or value, as in the 26" market will be smaller, and those wanting another size will have to factor in a wheel build and any reluctance to change sizes (This seems to have become less of a thing over the years, Rohloff still recommend against it, but their dealers seem more relaxed about it than they used to be)
Ebay seems a good arbiter of value, find a similar wheel and see what it fetched, search on completed sales, there ought to be enough of them to get a good idea.  I was looking for a secondhand hub a couple of years ago, I didn't see anything sell for less than £500 and those tended to be well used rim brake hubs.  Anything that looked decent was fetching £700+, I bid on a couple but in the end they all had some compromise on exactly what I was looking for, so bought new which at the time was £1,030.  So basically decent wheels and hubs were 70% of the new hub price. 
A few years before that I bought the secondhand hub that is now in my folder, I paid £550 for this when the new hub price was £950.  But it'd already been in the unusual 24" wheel size, I knew it's history and it was exactly what I wanted, so I paid more than I would have been prepared to on ebay.
I don't know what SON hubs or wheels fetch, I've never considered a secondhand one. An issue with selling that is people might look at the secondhand price and compare it with the new price of a Shimano or SP.

Ideally you'd be looking for a buyer wanting both hubs and in that wheel size, how long you'd have to wait for such a buyer is a complete unknown, but the value to them is considerably more than to anyone else.

Mark Manley

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2022, 04:38:56 am »
Have a think about how much you want for them and post an advert, they would go nicely on the Thorn Sterling I have just built up which currently has a Sturmey Archer hub but that would be getting away from the cheap bike it was intended to to be.

steve216c

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2022, 09:06:17 am »
Have you thought about another frame? On the continent many/most Rohloff framed bikes use sliding dropouts rather than EBB. Look at EBay article 165143239665 for a new 26“ wheel frame for Eur 139 as example. A pair of OEM sliders for Rohloff to fit the frame would be another approx Eur 25-30 on top. Obviously this assumes you can reuse the other components from your bike for the rest.

In Germany used Rohloff Hubs sell for around Eur 500-600 and SON for approx Eur 150ish. But together on a bike a 2nd hand Rohloff gibbed bike starts at Eur 1000 upwards, and with SON 1200 or so upwards. Those prices are based on watching classified adds that sell after short periods and not higher prices for used bikes that hang around for weeks/months or are regularly reinserted.
If only my bike shed were bigger on the inside...

mickeg

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2022, 12:04:25 pm »
There have been a couple of times when I did not need a new bike, but I had a lot of parts that were looking for a new home.  And a new frame provided that new home. 

And those couple times provided bikes that I am pretty happy with.

Gilles

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2022, 09:04:39 am »
Have I missed something here?
You say the frame is broken. I'd be interested in frame, Rolhoff and Son, clear you out!
I need a project! I have done 2 other Thorns and a completly bespoke bike with Rolhoff, carbon drive, Pauls Brakes,Son dynamo and modified Surley 8pack rack to take Ortlieb bar bag, and a Jones "H" bars Had the frame completly constructed by a bespoke builder's, so that is where your broken frame will go.
Look forward to hearing from you with a price
Brian