Author Topic: Club Tour frames still available?  (Read 37860 times)

jags

Re: Club Tour frames still available?
« Reply #120 on: January 17, 2014, 08:52:13 pm »
Ah rule i could name a few to be honest,my plan was to buy new frame and swap all my new gear from raleigh over now if i buy this club tour i will need to buy either a new rear disc wheel or a set of v  or canti brakes.
god i tell you these boys that design bikes make it hard for a fella to use what ever gear they choose.
like how much harder would it be to drill a hole for caliber brakes and braze a fitting for mudguards.

Swislon

« Reply #121 on: January 17, 2014, 09:17:33 pm »
I wanted the option of larger tyres which usually doesn't allow you to use calliper brakes. I think Rivendell are the only ones who offer large tyres and calliper brakes but even that is not on their touring model.
I hadn't clocked there was only one eyelet! Most of the time this will not be an issue for me as I will be using a saddlebag. It is a shame though.
Also a shame: there is now no pump peg. That is something I would have liked for my favourite HPX pump. Something to do with not having the clearance now with the disc brake bracket, fatter tyre clearance or some such reason. I have voiced my disappointment but the fact remains.

However apart from these two small issues the frame looks a good one to my eyes and i'm really looking forward to seeing how it rides. :)

Steve

honesty

« Reply #122 on: January 18, 2014, 07:30:50 am »
Dave what's the weight of the new frames?

Relayer

« Reply #123 on: January 18, 2014, 08:09:43 am »
I am surprised they have put the disc brake mount on the seatstay, this might be why there is only one rack eyelet ... you will need either a disc specific rack, or an adapter to give clearance for the rack and mudguard (I'm not sure how 2 adapters on 2 eyelets would work?).

If they had put the disc mounts on the chainstay then fitting racks and mudguards would be so much easier, not to mention 2 eyelets.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #124 on: January 18, 2014, 08:14:10 am »
I am surprised they have put the disc brake mount on the seatstay, this might be why there is only one rack eyelet...
HI Jim!

Given the high cost of bespoke dropouts, I wonder if the ones from the Mercury were also used on the Club Tour?

As I recall, the early Sherpas used just a single eyelet on their rear dropouts as well, the second eyelet being added later in a revised dropout.

My! Those cranked chainstays make for some visual interest. I wonder if that is what prevented a disc mount on the chainstay....

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 06:48:31 am by Danneaux »

Relayer

« Reply #125 on: January 18, 2014, 08:20:35 am »
As I recall, the early Sherpas used just a single eyelet on their rear dropouts as well, the second eyelet being added later in a revised dropout.

Hi Dan

The previous iteration of the Club Tour also [briefly] had a single eyelet, which was picked upon by Chris Juden in the infamous CTC review. I think the response was that this was a temporary aberration ... but here we are again ...

Jim
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 08:23:33 am by Relayer »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #126 on: January 18, 2014, 08:28:32 am »
<nods> Yes, I remember. I wonder if we'll see a double-eyelet version succeeding this after initial production runs.

Best,

Dan.

Relayer

« Reply #127 on: January 18, 2014, 08:30:19 am »
My! Those cranked chainstays make for some visual interest. I wonder if that is what prevented a disc mount on the chainstay....

Dan, I'm pretty sure your eye for detail has done the trick again, that could well be the answer.
Jim

rualexander

« Reply #128 on: January 18, 2014, 08:54:20 am »
What is the point of the chainstays being like that?

Chris M

« Reply #129 on: January 18, 2014, 09:57:02 am »
oh man this is a total disaster,now isn't that bad planning from thorn.have they ever heard of the saying if it an't broke don't fix it.

those changes totally puts me off buying the club tour,i know they might seem like trivial to most but if i'm buying a touring frame set i want caliber brakes (my choice) and seperate  fittings for mudguards.simpley because it makes for a better easier fitting of racks and mudguards.

jags there are still some of the old frames for sale and at a reduced price. Not sure of the sizing though.

honesty

« Reply #130 on: January 18, 2014, 10:36:09 am »
I've seen that style disc mount on a few new bikes recently. I believe the benefit over mounting I to the chain stay is that the brake is mounted the right way up as if you mount them on the chain stay water can get in easier... Also easier to get at as well. You can see the same dropouts specifically on the Kinesis Tripster ATR.

jags

« Reply #131 on: January 18, 2014, 11:02:40 am »
i'de say by the time i get the money together thorn will have changed back to old style club tour.
emm will have to think about this new fangled frame whether to buy or not  ::)

peter jenkins

« Reply #132 on: January 18, 2014, 11:25:26 am »

'Evening all,

The previous iteration of the Club Tour also [briefly] had a single eyelet, which was picked upon by Chris Juden in the infamous CTC review. I think the response was that this was a temporary aberration ... but here we are again ...

I have such a Club Tour... a 2005 edition. I can see the argument for double eyelets but would you believe it's never been a problem for me? I have had the rear guard and rack in place since new and I think I can say with confidence that it really isn't a show stopper for anyone contemplating a CT. (And yes... the rack does get a bit of use from time to time)

Cheers,

pj

Swislon

« Reply #133 on: January 18, 2014, 05:09:00 pm »
Hi Peter,

Have you connected rack and mudguards to the same eyelet or have you a Thorn rack which has eyelets for the mudguard?

Steve

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #134 on: January 20, 2014, 11:20:28 am »
If they had put the disc mounts on the chainstay then fitting racks and mudguards would be so much easier, not to mention 2 eyelets.

We have seen designs like these and spoken to customers with them, when using a cable disc brake the cable tends to get full of rubbish because of the angle.

The single eyelet isn't a mistake or accident.  We use this system because with the disc mount the only carriers that clear the caliper are Thorn or Tubus ones, both of which have provision for mudguard fittings on the rack giving you a stiffer mudguard and keeping the stays out of the way of anti-sway catches and the like.  This is a proven design on the Mercury that we have run for several years.

The frame comes with the adapters to fit V/Canti brake bosses on the lugs provided on the seat stays if disc's arn't your cuppa tea.

Hope this helps explain, Dave