Author Topic: Helinox Chair Modification  (Read 3680 times)

AndyE

Helinox Chair Modification
« on: September 13, 2015, 02:17:28 pm »
I have had probably the 10 driest days on the west coast of Scotland this year. However the ground is still very wet and squishy due to all the rain. As a result sitting in the chair had to be don gently and slowly, the back two legs would sink in about 2" and became a recliner!
more than was needed.

A temporary modification was needed to stabilize the chair ;)

Probably the best chair stabilizer in the world.

Andy
Doncaster in deepest South of Yorkshire

David Simpson

Re: Helinox Chair Modification
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 03:34:20 pm »
I love it! We have a similar chair with the same problem. I need to show this to my wife.

Now how would one go about purchasing 4 large empty beer cans? Or do you need to purchase full cans and find someone to empty them for you?   ;)

- Dave

AndyE

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 04:01:40 pm »
I think it will work with any can! but the pint cans do give extra support as they are the same length as the chair legs ;) To hypothesize filling each can with sand, stones or soil will stop the wind from blowing it over or away. It is green too! the cans are recyclable.  8)

Andy. (Who is working on a wild camping version when cans may not be in abundance)

Doncaster in deepest South of Yorkshire

John Saxby

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 10:11:43 pm »
Now I had the same question, David; and of course it raises the matter of proclaiming one's (lack of) taste in suds.

Another option, which I'm borrowing from a conversation with Dan some time back, on stopping Click-stands from digging into soft sand/mud/whatever, is to cut a hole in a tennis ball.  I guess that for the Helinox one could also cut 2 tennis balls in half, so they'd pack nicely, but that bodge wouldn't have the same je ne sais quoi as empty beer cans.

onrbikes

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 03:37:48 am »
I wonder if you make a further mod.

Turn the legs into a straw and have a flexible mouth piece near your head, to suck the suds.
 Maybe even a diverter valve at the bottom when you get a dry can.

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 12:10:32 pm »
I'm glad you said this wasn't wild camping, Andy. I was wondering which pannier held the whacking big BBQ in the background!  :D

My solution came from an old bloke I met who had kayaked the length of the River Murray in Oz. He'd sat in his Helinox Chair One every night on a river beach, and had modified his chair by stretching webbing straps diagonally between the feet (crossing under the chair). This prevented sinking in any material base (and meant you could have a drink, not a drunk, at your campsite each night!

I'll dig out a photo when I get a chance.