Author Topic: What system do you use to camp.....  (Read 6030 times)

leftpoole

Re: What system do you use to camp.....
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2014, 10:42:42 am »
Vaude Hogan Ultralight with footprint. Thermarest Neo Air and a down sleeping bag.
Have considered other systems ie. bivvybags but prefer the mesh doors of tents for keeping mosquitoes and gnats out in summer.
Tent pockets also come in handy for bits n pieces.
Quick wipe down, fly sheet, in the morning with a small micro fiber cloth and it's virtually dry and ready to roll.
It's hard to change from a system that works.

Hello,
I can never understand why anyone uses a Bivi or Tarp when nowadays small/medium very lightweight tents are available.
I have over many Years tried most decent backpacking type tents before finally settling on the one(s) I have now, see link..
John
http://www.pbase.com/leftpoole

jags

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2014, 11:19:57 am »
i seen a guy on the ultralight forum he uses  bubble wrap  ;D ;D obviously hard as feckin nails each to there own.

rualexander

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2014, 03:22:10 pm »
Hello,
I can never understand why anyone uses a Bivi or Tarp when nowadays small/medium very lightweight tents are available.
I have over many Years tried most decent backpacking type tents before finally settling on the one(s) I have now, see link..
John
http://www.pbase.com/leftpoole

Sometimes it's nice to sleep outside.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2014, 04:58:27 pm »
It's hard to change from a system that works.
True enough and heartily agreed, , PX!

I think this is a key reason why people are so loyal to certain pieces of gear -- they simply work well for them and have become familiar enough to operate/manage even while fatigued, wet, or otherwise compromised.

Also, once in awhile, a designer/manufacturer will get things right for the majority of users' needs most of the time. Those are the Golden products most widely revered and best reviewed. Selecting one of these can be a shortcut to success.

However, sometimes lesser products can be "more" for an individual if they meet specific needs as well or better than something designed for mass appeal. Of course, we all place our own value on different things. With tents, it might be bug resistance, waterproofness, easy pitching, roominess-for-weight, or cost.  Getting something that works for you -- yes! -- makes it hard to switch.

Best,

Dan.